Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 07:22 AM

24,909 posts, read 9,655,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I think many have expectations that are way too high.

You only have to sit in a mall for a while to see many people that may not seem to have much going for them, but they have found someone.
Very true.

Also, sitting in a mall will tell you just how tall, short, attractive, unattractive, in shape, or out of shape you are compared to the average person.

This isn't high school or college anymore, the adult dating market mean you're competing with every other single man in region.

You need two things to find a big dating pool: attractiveness and/or a location with a lot of single people. I have no problem traveling overseas and dating there, but if I was stuck in America, I would be screwed. I'm 5'9", that won't get you many dates. Let a lone second dates with the most attractive women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2024, 07:28 AM

22,125 posts, read 13,249,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Also, sitting in a mall will tell you just how tall, short, attractive, unattractive you are...I'm 5'9", that won't get you many dates. Let alone second dates with the most attractive women.
There are lots of short women - I'm barely 5'0" tall - and even heavier short women who wouldn't mind your (average) height. But would you be interested in them?

Old 04-03-2024, 07:30 AM

22,745 posts, read 48,001,080 times
Quote:
You need two things to find a big dating pool: attractiveness and/or a location with a lot of single people. I have no problem traveling overseas and dating there, but if I was stuck in America, I would be screwed. I'm 5'9", that won't get you many dates. Let a lone second dates with the most attractive women.
So. you consider yourself unattractive.... but you want "second dates with the most attractive women"?

Talk about high expectations!

Old 04-03-2024, 08:09 AM

102,353 posts, read 108,635,951 times
Quote:
Very true.

Also, sitting in a mall will tell you just how tall, short, attractive, unattractive, in shape, or out of shape you are compared to the average person.

This isn't high school or college anymore, the adult dating market mean you're competing with every other single man in region.

There, you're limiting yourself. Why only go after the most attractive women? And in America, you're not screwed just because of your height. Lots of men your height and shorter are partnered and married. Some women prefer men of around average height or the same height as the themselves.

It's sad you hold this erroneous belief about your height making you undesirable in the US. But at least you're not "stuck in America". *whew* Thank heaven for small favors, eh?

Old 04-03-2024, 08:15 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,653,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
There are lots of short women - I'm barely 5'0" tall - and even heavier short women who wouldn't mind your (average) height. But would you be interested in them?
The tallest guy in my class who was at least 6'5'' married the shortest girl who was barely 5'0 foot. I've never understood all this about height. I wouldn't care how tall or short a man is. It's not anything I ever even thought about. This couple I'm referring to were in the group of people who found their soulmate just by going to school. They stayed married until the man died some years ago.

Old 04-03-2024, 09:48 AM
bu2

24,174 posts, read 15,028,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There, you're limiting yourself. Why only go after the most attractive women? And in America, you're not screwed just because of your height. Lots of men your height and shorter are partnered and married. Some women prefer men of around average height or the same height as the themselves.

It's sad you hold this erroneous belief about your height making you undesirable in the US. But at least you're not "stuck in America". *whew* Thank heaven for small favors, eh?
If you couldn't find anyone at 5'9", most men would be single. That IS the average height of American men. Women's average is 5'4'.

Old 04-03-2024, 11:11 AM

88,946 posts, read 85,475,713 times
I am waaaay too tall for most men's tastes at 6 feet (eHarmony kindly informed me 20 years ago that only 3% of men would be interested in dating a woman of my height.)

Height was important to me before I married a 6'4" a-hole when I was young. Now it wouldn't matter, but most men still don't want to be seen with "an Amazon".

The younger generations seem to have ditched that hangup, though. I see male-female couples all the time where the womsn is taller. My niece, 35, is 6 feet tall, and she gets lots of attention. She is very pretty, though.

Old 04-03-2024, 12:02 PM

17,035 posts, read 12,658,824 times
People don't realize how ugly the median is. Many people are clueless about who their dating peer is. Throw in dating apps to skew perceptions even further.

almost 40% of women are obese. 70% overweight. Men are 30% obese and 60% overweight.

The internet skews everyone's perceptions of what the median looks like.

Old 04-03-2024, 01:09 PM

102,353 posts, read 108,635,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am waaaay too tall for most men's tastes at 6 feet (eHarmony kindly informed me 20 years ago that only 3% of men would be interested in dating a woman of my height.)

Height was important to me before I married a 6'4" a-hole when I was young. Now it wouldn't matter, but most men still don't want to be seen with "an Amazon".

The younger generations seem to have ditched that hangup, though. I see male-female couples all the time where the womsn is taller. My niece, 35, is 6 feet tall, and she gets lots of attention. She is very pretty, though.
One woman I know who's that tall is very popular with men of all ages, even though she's in her 60's and her face looks prematurely aged. They get excited around her for reasons I've never understaood, unless it's because she's slim,yet curvy, and her thinning hair still shows some blonde. She married a guy more than a generation younger, who was about 5' tall, maybe a little shorter.

Another woman I knew who was around 6' tall said, that when she met her future husband in college, he said he liked tall women. She was thrilled, and that was that. The marriage didn't work out for her, though, as she was expected to drop any academic interests she had, and devote herself to waiting on her husband and kids. She said that life turned her into a zombie. After the kids were in college, she was able to get some autonomy for herself, and her husband adjusted.

But MQ, finding someone who likes tall women in no way guarantees a successful partnership. There's so much more to it than that, as you know. I'm glad you did find someone for a rewarding, if too short-lived, relationship, though.

Old 04-03-2024, 06:06 PM

88,946 posts, read 85,475,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
One woman I know who's that tall is very popular with men of all ages, even though she's in her 60's and her face looks prematurely aged. They get excited around her for reasons I've never understaood, unless it's because she's slim,yet curvy, and her thinning hair still shows some blonde. She married a guy more than a generation younger, who was about 5' tall, maybe a little shorter.

Another woman I knew who was around 6' tall said, that when she met her future husband in college, he said he liked tall women. She was thrilled, and that was that. The marriage didn't work out for her, though, as she was expected to drop any academic interests she had, and devote herself to waiting on her husband and kids. She said that life turned her into a zombie. After the kids were in college, she was able to get some autonomy for herself, and her husband adjusted.

But MQ, finding someone who likes tall women in no way guarantees a successful partnership. There's so much more to it than that, as you know. I'm glad you did find someone for a rewarding, if too short-lived, relationship, though.
No, of course not, LOL. But I am saying that the fact that I was passed over for most of my life in part because I was too tall is a factor that normal-sized or petite women who are also not particularly attractive didn't have to wrestle with. My chances of even being considered as someone to date were lowered drastically by the overheight issue alone. Yes, if one is tall and naturally beautiful, it might be different, but I was not attractive. Not to the point where I needed a bag over my head or anything, but rather "plain".

Oh well. I had other good things in life. Health, sufficient income eventually. A great now-adult child. Good friends. Grateful.for those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology