Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2021, 07:14 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euskalherria View Post
I do not understand the concept of 'America'. I mean, really, it broadcasts to the world that it is a 'shining city on a hill' and stuff.

Yet, its citizens are hell-bent on slaughtering each other... hmmm...

To use an American expression, that doesn't jive.
You mean "jibe".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2021, 07:16 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
And there is part of the problem where our information is made up to fit agendas without being accurate. What people are calling assault weapons don't exist, one would be seriously hurting to go out on the battlefield with the civilian AR-15. This point is illuminated time and time again and still people insist otherwise.

So essentially, people are believing what they want to believe, regardless of what the facts are.
Semantics... But if it makes you feel better...

Old 10-09-2021, 07:26 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Semantics... But if it makes you feel better...
Semantics it is not. What they are identifying to the term they are using.....isn't. Yet, it is called that, a battle it is not built to fight, saying that its purpose is one thing only when it is used by thousands as something different.

But as I said, part of the problem is that facts are immaterial for people believe....if not push....what they want.

Old 10-09-2021, 09:31 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
I agree with much of what you say, Silibran. And I know that our goals are the same. And we both want solutions.

The point is an old and tired one. And that is that we already have the laws in place to prevent gun violence. The tiresome example is Chicago. And a lot of their gun violence is gang related. And much of it comes from south of the border and is drug related. Their standard official reply is if we didn't want the drugs they wouldn't be here.

When you've got the government itself running illegal gun operations it gets difficult to control. That's a subject for another thread.

You know, these dangerous gangs aren't the silly guys playing soldier out in Nebraska or the gun club member who likes to shoot a few pheasants on the farm in the Fall. (Those are the guys that save their weapons as an end-of life-plan.) Some media would like us to believe so but if you tally the violence it is easy to see the vast majority is not coming from them.

All I have to speak from is national statistics and I assume they are correct. Maybe not? They don't jibe with the political message. Again a topic for another thread. Excuse me. It's difficult for me to discuss this without wanting to go there.

A few weeks ago a man stopped at a busy intersection an hour's drive from here, pulled a woman out of the car, and right there beheaded her on the street with a machete. A mass of witnesses watched. What more laws could we have made to prevent this? The man was not a US citizen, incidentally. He will be spanked and sent home.

We are out of control with helping our mentally ill and not doing anything to improve except building nicer looking institutions that we can't afford to run. We can't possibly spend enough money and time to help all the imploding people at present. The wait list to see a psychiatrist here is currently six months.

Laws don't work unless they are applied. Our jails are full and our courts are catching and releasing.

Practically speaking more laws are not needed. Better application would help but I don't believe that we have the resources or will to apply them.

Old 10-09-2021, 05:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Semantics it is not. What they are identifying to the term they are using.....isn't. Yet, it is called that, a battle it is not built to fight, saying that its purpose is one thing only when it is used by thousands as something different.

But as I said, part of the problem is that facts are immaterial for people believe....if not push....what they want.
Why don’t you share the correct name, for those of us unschooled in shooting.

Old 10-09-2021, 05:10 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Why don’t you share the correct name, for those of us unschooled in shooting.

Well, for one thing, we are not in the political forum but the psychology forum so what the rifle really is identified as is not the focus here. What is of focus is people applying their own names and their own definitions to it and then saying that is part of the problem. In short, people are pressing the crisis for their own agendas.

Old 10-09-2021, 05:12 PM

34,993 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
We'd have a BIGGER gun problem, if anybody ever tried to take them away or strictly federally regulate them. It would be a similar reaction like if this SCOTUS ever struck down Roe v. Wade and even made it illegal in individual states, only *much* worse because those people have weapons. The US would become more like Syria
It's a cultural problem. Since when is it OK to kill someone because they belong to "the other" gang or someone "disses" you or your girlfriend?

Old 10-09-2021, 05:58 PM

61,646 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Today’s newspaper featured a heart rending story of an 18-year-old boy in Texas who shot and wounded three students, one of them critically (link), and one of whom declined medical attention. Of course, is very hard to interview these people because once they are arrested, they cannot really talk freely. Still, I would love to ask so these people why do you think using moral force in a schoolyard dispute is worthwhile.

In another story, a 29-year-old women cover for no good reason, attempted to push another woman how to Subway tracks in New York City (link). Again, why?

Are there any serious studies other than agenda-driven tracts about these fairly common, purposeless and tragic situations? Or in lieu of such studies, does anybody hear have any ideas?
There are lot of undiagnosed mentally disturbed individuals that don't get mental health care in the US. It has mainly to do with poor health care system, general denial, and stigma.
Access to mental care is prohibitively expensive - even more so than physical health costs.
Add to it upbringing, unreasonable expectation, inability to tell right from wrong and inability to deal with rejections, the entitlement mentality plus dozens of other mental traits.
There is also some connection to religious visions, hearing voice of God, acting to save the world - some killers have suffered from the tormenting voices characteristic of schizophrenia.
The most common here is the phenomenon of hearing voices which they may interpret as messages from God or saints, some also experience visual hallucinations which they interpret as visions. Those voices feel real, spoken by an external, commanding authority. They are often mean and violent.

Americans live in a society in which, when people feel threatened, they think about guns. The same cultural patterns that make it difficult to get gun violence under control may also be responsible for making these terrible auditory commands harsh and violent.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/10/cost...n-america.html

Apparently, nearly 1 in 5 Americans has some type of mental health condition.

Last edited by elnina; 10-09-2021 at 06:22 PM..

Old 10-09-2021, 05:59 PM

1,701 posts, read 781,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
It's a cultural problem. Since when is it OK to kill someone because they belong to "the other" gang or someone "disses" you or your girlfriend?
I agree, it’s a CULTURAL PROBLEM.

Guess what gun-control advocates, you can commit mass murder with a car and a gas pedal…just find the selected group of your outrage and floor it. Timothy McVeigh didn’t need a *gun* to kill hundreds of people. The hijackers of 9-11 didn’t need any *guns* to kill THOUSANDS. The terrorists who killed hundreds of Afghans and 13 US military personnel didn’t need a single solitary gun.

I absolutely will not forfeit my means of home or car defense so that someone in a gated, progressive community or condominium can feel good about themselves. Nor will I feel compelled to restrict my 2A rights because of a crime that someone else committed. Not happening

Old 10-09-2021, 06:15 PM

9,068 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Also I don't think an environment of cement, glass and bricks and multitudes of people crowded together in one spot is conducive to a serene, relaxed attitude in people or animals.
In some cities people are crammed into tiny studio apartments like bees in a hive. Human beings are not meant to live like bees in a hive. When people have at least a small plot of land to call their own, they can nurture a pet or a garden of some sort. I believe that is invaluable for mental health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology