Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2024, 06:52 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,127,931 times

Advertisements

I am 77 and grew up close to my grandparents who owned a hotel and bar. When young I would run in and get a Coke or Pepsi just about any time I was visiting. I became 'addicted' to Pepsi over the years and consumed well more than my share. I would drink Coke when I did not have a choice but would fall back on Pepsi when available. In my later years I now drink more Crystal Lite to get away from all the sugar - but still enjoy the colas from time to time.

I found this one website that compares the two sodas: https://www.diffen.com/difference/Coke_vs_Pepsi. I found it interesting that Coke contains considerably more sodium than Pepsi. Pepsi contains slightly more sugar and caffeine than Coke. I do not know why, but Coke is listed as slightly more calories than Pepsi. Both drinks use the same syrup coloring - E-150D.

The coloring is why I am writing. According to Wikipedia coloring is perfectly safe and FDA approved: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carame...Classification. But I have always had reservations about their coloring because of the white washcloth challenge I came up with when I read that our tounges can harbor bad breath in articles like this: https://beathalitosis.com/bad-breath-triple-threat/. So, when I knew my breath was important, I would scrub my tongue with a clean white washcloth. What I did find out, was that after drinking why favorite sodas, the washcloth was brown where I rubbed my tongue. That coloring stayed on my tongue for quite some time after I consumed one of the beverages and was also a little difficult to remove from the washcloth.

While the experts say it is safe, at one time I consumed vast amounts of my favorite beverages. I have wondered about the effects of coloring on our organs. The bottom line is that I am still alive and kicking, so I guess it did not hurt too much. But I am interested if anybody else has noticed this or had problems with the approved coloring.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2024, 07:31 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,141,466 times
Remember the Pepsi Challenge ad campaign and Coke figuring out that due to the higher sugar content Pepsi would always win the sip to sip taste. So New Coke was born for a season and then was killed off.

As for the color, it happens with everything I eat and probably most everything others have eaten for a century. Maybe improved dental technology hides the damage as even more would present with bad teeth later in life if it was cosmetically hidden.

Old 02-01-2024, 10:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
I liked Pepsi better than Coke too, because it didn't seem as sweet. Eventually though, I switched to Dr. Pepper, and even Mr. Pibb for a while when it came out. I have been off of soda now for about 30 years, other than an occasional A&W root beer, I will mostly drink iced tea, and sometimes beer, or wine. I don't know how anyone would know if any particular condition was caused by a coloring agent. I've had plenty of medical issues but as far as my doctors know they were caused by other things.

Old 02-01-2024, 11:58 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
Coke vs Pepsi, humm...
I like Coke for mixed drinks and as an additive to recipes but prefer Pepsi as a straight refreshment served cold.

Old 02-01-2024, 04:29 PM

4,838 posts, read 3,264,426 times
I drink cola only when used with liquor. Prefer Coke for that, but given the right amount of rum, Pepsi does just fine.

Old 02-01-2024, 06:05 PM

9,116 posts, read 6,165,173 times
I'm a root beer gal.

Old 02-02-2024, 11:29 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,127,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I'm a root beer gal.
Most of the root beers use caramel coloring, which (I assume) is the same as the E-150D used in Coke and Pepsi. So I am interested if you have ever tried my clean white washcloth 'tongue scrub test' after consuming a bottle or mug of your favorite root beer?

Even though my 'test' demonstrates how much coloring they are using and how long it can last in our bodies, it still does not stop me from enjoying one of my old favorite Pepsies - which I am doing right now.

Old 02-03-2024, 03:21 PM

27,185 posts, read 43,876,617 times
To me Pepsi has an "off" flavor I dislike and it is immediate with the first taste. Coke is more widely seen commercially for a reason and find through observation customer comments when it's not available.

Old 02-04-2024, 05:20 PM

6,099 posts, read 2,720,244 times
Coke all the way especially Cherry coke but Wild cherry Pepsi is a close second.

Old 02-10-2024, 06:31 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,579,272 times
Coca Cola, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews