Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2024, 10:46 AM

6,011 posts, read 2,832,710 times

Advertisements

Yes! I love the peanut butter cookies! They were five dollars per box. I do it to support the individual troops, not the Girl Scouts organization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2024, 11:09 AM

5,574 posts, read 6,500,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I stopped buying them three years ago after the Girl Scouts jumped on the DEI bandwagon. (I absolutely support diversity,, inclusion and equality, but I have a big problem with the equity part of DEI.) https://www.girlscouts.org/en/discov...l-justice.html

Before then, I probably bought four boxes a year on average.
For those like me who want to know what this means between the two similar words, here is the meaning taken from a search and found online on an informational blog.

Equality assumes that everybody is operating at the same starting point and will face the same circumstances and challenges. Equity recognizes the shortcomings of this ​“one-size-fits-all” approach and understands that different levels of support must be provided to achieve fairness in outcomes.

IMO, this is where the the problem among people lies, with Equity. "Affirmative Action" is/was the name used for this in the past. Same meaning, different generations speaking.

Old 02-16-2024, 11:11 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
No they are too expensive so I do not buy them.

Old 02-16-2024, 11:15 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Granddaughters troop stopped selling them about 3 years ago because they were getting complaints about quality, the high cost and the fact they only got 10 cents from each dollar sale.
My wife has been involved with the organization for a long time. All proceeds stay local (Montana/Wyoming Council) and distribution to the troops is dependant on the local council. I do know my wife's previous Troop had 6-7 girls, and they were able to raise enough money annually for great stuff- like a week in Yellowstone NP at a lodge and taking advantage of interpretive activities.

https://www.eatingwell.com/article/7...okie-money-go/

Quote:
If you want to break it down by the numbers, 76% of the total cost of a box of Thin Mints stays with the Girl Scout troop you bought it from—24% goes toward baker costs and the other costs associated with distributing the cookies to troops. Another 22% of the total box goes toward troop proceeds and "girl rewards," meaning the patches and little gifts scouts receive for selling certain amounts of cookies.

The rest of the money—that's 54%—can be used for programs, volunteer support or training, financial assistance and other services. Those numbers may vary slightly depending on the regional Girl Scouts council in your area, as Vox reports. The cost of a box of cookies is also set by the regional councils, but a common price point is $5 per box or $6 per box of Toffee-tastics, which are gluten-free.

The programs and projects that Girl Scouts take up run the gamut from mailing Valentine's cards to folks living in senior living communities to helping people register to vote or even donating boxes of cookies to shelters for unhoused people. So for every box of Tagalongs you pick up, a few dollars might go to contributing to a food drive or subsidizing a Girl Scouts camping trip so that everyone, no matter their parents' income, can participate in a troop activity.

On a local level, some Girl Scout troops have used their cookie profits to make a big difference in their communities. One Girl Scouts robotics team in central Texas used their skills to 3D-print face shields for frontline workers who needed them. Another troop donated $1,000 in cookie sales to support COVID-19 research at the Gladstone Institutes in 2020.
So either your granddaughters council was really stingy, or someone isn't doing their math right.

Old 02-16-2024, 11:17 AM

19,800 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
For those like me who want to know what this means between the two similar words, here is the meaning taken from a search and found online on an informational blog.

Equality assumes that everybody is operating at the same starting point and will face the same circumstances and challenges. Equity recognizes the shortcomings of this ​“one-size-fits-all” approach and understands that different levels of support must be provided to achieve fairness in outcomes.

IMO, this is where the the problem among people lies, with Equity. "Affirmative Action" is/was the name used for this in the past. Same meaning, different generations speaking.
Thanks for posting. I do support equal opportunity, but not the idea of equal outcomes, as I find that to be completely unrealistic for reasons that have been discussed on many other threads.

Sorry that this might be off topic! I will completely understand if it is deleted.

Old 02-16-2024, 01:30 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,628,159 times
If you have a Dollar General Store near you, they have their own brand, Clover Valley, knockoffs of the Girl Scout Cookies that taste incredibly close to the Girl Scout versions. They are about $2.50 a box. They have Coconut Fudge Caramel (like Samoas), Fudge Mint (like the Thin Mints), and Fudge Peanut Butter. We buy them all the time.

You can purchase these if you need a Girl Scout cookie fix and don't want to pay the high price, unless you just want to donate to their cause.

Old 02-16-2024, 01:41 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
They're still selling cookies here at store entrances.

Old 02-16-2024, 02:03 PM

6,988 posts, read 4,809,652 times
I bought some this year for the first time in ages. I just don’t see what all the fuss is about, they aren’t that good. I mean, they aren’t bad, and I don’t mind helping the neighbor kids out, but they sure aren’t my first choice in a cookie and they are seriously overpriced.

Old 02-17-2024, 11:40 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,978,388 times
Was a girl scout in the 70's.
A gs leader for 6 years for my daughters troops in the 2000's.
Im embarrassed for the gs organization selling these cookies.
The quality does not reflect the prices.
Up until this year I've bought generously to any Gs who made the effort to sell. Not their mother selling, the actual girl scout selling.
I opened up the even smaller and lighter packages yesterday... Totally disgusted with the product. It's laughable.
Girl Scouts of America do better in regards to your money maker cookies or they will become un- sellable.

Old 02-23-2024, 03:06 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,414,855 times
I used to LOVE the thin mints. When I bought some last year, I thought wow these are not the ones I found addicting.
I've heard many people mention that the GS cookies are not what they used to be- that they changed baking facilities a while ago?I don't know if it's true, but I used to buy them to support the organization ( and it was usually a neighbor selling them) and couldn't resist the various varieties.
Now, if I buy one box, I give it away.
(also not a fan of the DEI mania)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews