Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2023, 08:50 PM

12,787 posts, read 15,010,201 times

Advertisements

Fiance' & I got a pair 1 year into the start of COVID to get outdoors more. Neither of us had ridden even regular bikes in numerous years...for me since I was a teenager, but once you have e-bikes, you'll probably never want regular bikes anymore! We don't ride ours in the streets to actually get somewhere, but in parks & other trails for fun only. (It's way too, too dangerous to bike in the streets thes days.)

Do your research. There's hundreds of e-bike brands out there. We got a pair of foldable ones from the brand Motiv, but sold them & want to get better bikes one day.

This isn't a foldable, but so far, I'm liking this one called the Kommoda by Cyrusher:
https://www.cyrusher.com/products/kommoda-ebike

I like this foldable called Model F by the brand Electric Bike Co.:
https://electricbikecompany.com/model-f

This foldable has the rare 3" tires, which I wish a LOT more e-bikes made...most have the usual 4" fat tires. This is the Eahora Azaria:
https://www.eahoraebike.com/products...1982738366706#

$1000 is on the cheaper end, but doable.

Also, did you go to the Hobbies & then Cycling section of this discussion board? There more about e-bikes there:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/cycling/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2023, 08:36 AM

9,430 posts, read 11,185,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
I put mine in my living room. Since pretty much every object with a battery or plugged in to any outlet has the same chance of spontaneous combustion.

I like to keep all my fire hazards in one area instead of spreading them out.
So how many computer or cell phone fires have you heard about lately?

https://www.npr.org/2023/03/11/11627...-battery-fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Most electric battery-related incidents stem from inappropriate usage/handling, factors like overcharging or short circuits while using incompatible charging docks that lead to overheating and, in some cases, explosions.
Generally, this happens very seldom, though.

EV batteries, in fact, are far less likely to catch fire than an internal combustion engine vehicle.
Globally, EV FireSafe found about 0.0012% of electric passenger vehicles caught fire from 2010 to 2023 compared with a 0.1% chance for internal combustion engine fires.
In other words - there's a 1 in 38,000 chance of EV battery fire vs 1 in 1,300 chance of gas- and diesel-powered passenger vehicles fire.

I charge my car in my garage every night for over a decade now, not concerned about fires or explosion.
Well good. In my entire life I've never heard of an ICE vehicle, lawn mower, edger, leaf blower, etc. spontaneously lighting up.

From the above link:

Why are batteries in e-bikes and scooters vulnerable to catching fire?
Lithium-ion batteries power many rechargeable devices that are part of our modern lives: cell phones, laptops, vapes, cordless power tools and electric vehicles of all kinds, from cars to scooters to e-bikes to hoverboards.

They're small, lightweight and powerful — but they're also prone to overheating and catching fire, said Michael Pecht, a professor of engineering at the University of Maryland. "Ever since lithium-ion batteries started to be prevalent in products, we've seen fires," he said.

Fires from exploding e-bike batteries multiply in NYC — sometimes fatally

At issue is the high density of the batteries, which is a double-edged sword, said Pecht, who also serves as director of the Center for Advanced Life Cycle Engineering, a university research center that consults with companies on reliability and safety issues, including batteries.

Old 11-23-2023, 01:18 PM

2,453 posts, read 1,691,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
So how many computer or cell phone fires have you heard about lately?

https://www.npr.org/2023/03/11/11627...-battery-fires

Well good. In my entire life I've never heard of an ICE vehicle, lawn mower, edger, leaf blower, etc. spontaneously lighting up.

From the above link:

Why are batteries in e-bikes and scooters vulnerable to catching fire?
Lithium-ion batteries power many rechargeable devices that are part of our modern lives: cell phones, laptops, vapes, cordless power tools and electric vehicles of all kinds, from cars to scooters to e-bikes to hoverboards.

They're small, lightweight and powerful — but they're also prone to overheating and catching fire, said Michael Pecht, a professor of engineering at the University of Maryland. "Ever since lithium-ion batteries started to be prevalent in products, we've seen fires," he said.

At issue is the high density of the batteries, which is a double-edged sword, said Pecht, who also serves as director of the Center for Advanced Life Cycle Engineering, a university research center that consults with companies on reliability and safety issues, including batteries.
In my entire life of 54 years I have only ever seen one device spontaneously catch on fire. It was a laptop someone at the local nursing home was using that had the battery replaced with one of the super cheap ones. It pretty much melted through the table it got so hot. I don't know a single other person who it has actually happened to. Yes with the millions of devices out there I am sure if I looked on the internet for examples I could find some.

Old 11-24-2023, 10:20 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,006,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
How so?
In my experience...

They're basically mopeds ridden too fast in areas where they are not appropriate (and mostly illegal) by people who couldn't even safely ride a normal bike.

Old 11-24-2023, 10:31 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,022,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
In my experience...

They're basically mopeds ridden too fast in areas where they are not appropriate (and mostly illegal) by people who couldn't even safely ride a normal bike.
Are you against bikes and motorcycles as well?

Old 11-24-2023, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Are you against bikes and motorcycles as well?
Not at all, why would I be?

Old 11-28-2023, 07:19 AM

4,553 posts, read 2,702,712 times
Quote:
In my experience...

Yep.

These "E bikes" need to be considered as low power motorcycles or low power motor scooters. They are generally not appropriate for the hike-and-bike trails on which they're so often ridden.

You want a bicycle, go get a bicycle, and learn how to use the gears. You're going to pay for them (pretty much any standard bicycle sold these days has a tremendously wide gear range, but most of the people I see riding them insist on heaving and straining away in high gear at 5 pedal strokes per minute and then they wonder why they poop out in 2 miles while those of us who learned how to use the gears pedal comfortably past them), you're going to carry them around, use the damn gears!

If you want a low power quiet electric small motorcycle or scooter, get one of those (whether it's called "E bike" or something else) and ride it where such small motor vehicles are allowed.

Old 11-28-2023, 11:14 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,022,663 times
Quote:
Not at all, why would I be?
Because in my experience, I have seen more accidents with motorcycles then ebikes.

Old 11-28-2023, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Because in my experience, I have seen more accidents with motorcycles then ebikes.
Not a useful comparison. Motorcycles don't intermix with cyclists and pedestrians on sidewalks and bike/walk paths, pretending they're riding a bicycle.

Old 11-28-2023, 12:43 PM

2,453 posts, read 1,691,057 times
Quote:
In my experience...

Quote:
Not a useful comparison. Motorcycles don't intermix with cyclists and pedestrians on sidewalks and bike/walk paths, pretending they're riding a bicycle.
Couldn't agree more and I have an eBike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews