Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 09:45 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,735,558 times

Advertisements

OK, I'm in the market for a new blanket. What I really wanted was a hand-woven soft cotton blanket that I found in an Airbnb in Mexico a couple of years ago. It was a beautifully woven yellow and baby blue blanket, lightweight cotton, and soft like a baby's bottom, perfect fabric all year round for South Florida's weather. The owner told me he bought it from Tonala, a craft village outside of Guadalajara in Mexico. Maybe I'll make a trip there one day just to hunt for that blanket. Meanwhile, I've been searching for it online ever since without success.

Then, lately, I've seen mentions of weighted blankets a lot in my daily news feed on my phone, mostly in glowing reviews, so it got me curious. I'm super skeptical about the comfort level since I run hot, plus I live in South FL where it's pretty much hot all the time. I use a thin layer of bed sheet for my summer 'blanket' and a duvet cover (without the duvet), which is basically 2 layers of bed sheet sewn together, for winter. And remember, South FL winter rarely goes below 60F except for a day or two of occasional cold snaps.

Is weighted blanket going to work for someone who runs hot all the time, like me? I read that the blanket needs to be inside a duvet cover? This might be a deal breaker for me because I can't imagine how hot it's going to be with layers of fabric like that. But, it's supposed to surround you like a warm hug and will promote good sleep as a result, so that's very tempting.

Anyone uses it at home? Please share your experience with it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2022, 02:19 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
These are good questions. I'm glad you started this thread. I'll be watching it.

But I'm curious; do you not sleep with the A/C on, in Florida, especially in summer?

Weighted blankets come in different weights, as I understand. So you can get a winter-weight one, the lightest-weight summer one, and in-between. I haven't actually gone to a store (Target has them) to explore this, but living in the SW, I'm mainly in the market for a lightweight summer one.

The attraction is, that they're supposed to help you sleep, if you have any kind of insomnia problems, waking up at night and not being able to get back to sleep, or whatever. The weight is somehow soothing, and can be helpful, kind of cocooning. So the point of them is not warmth; the point is the weight, the effect that can have in aiding sleep.

I'd love to hear from people who have tried them, as to whether they were helpful or not.

Old 10-26-2022, 04:17 PM

Yes, we use AC most of the time - can’t live without it in S.FL

Old 10-26-2022, 06:40 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Yes, we use AC most of the time - can’t live without it in S.FL
I thought so. I run the AC at night to keep my bedroom cold for sleep in the summers, so just a sheet, or even a double sheet (comforter cover, as you suggested) wouldn't be enough. But it sounds like you don't keep your room as cold as I do.

In any case, you do have a choice with weighted blankets, as I mentioned before. You could try the lightest/thinnest one available.

Old 10-30-2022, 09:41 AM

12,776 posts, read 14,987,827 times
Overall, yes we like & recommend! I can talk about this & I get hot kind of fast too plus I live in Southern California in an area where it barely even rains that much (wish it would more often!...I love rain). I got one last winter for myself & fiance' & for my Mom as a gift & we love it.

They say you get the weight according to personal preference, but recommendation is 8% - 12% of body weight.

I saw that they're pretty pricey overall, so I got it from Target, which is very reasonably priced since I had no idea how I'd like it, so try a very low-priced one at first to see how you'll like it. I got these for only $25 & they come in 3 different weights. Got 20 lb for us & 15 lb for Mom: https://www.target.com/p/48-x72-esse...82#lnk=sametab

This one even says, "Temperature Balancing" which I didn't notice when I got ours or maybe they didn't have it last year: https://www.target.com/p/48-x72-temp...28#lnk=sametab

Re: whether it's supposed to go under the duvet or not, etc., I don't pay attention to that. I just leave it on top of (everything on) my bed & it's pretty much just on the bottom 1/2 of our bodies.

Only complaint by any of us is, fiance' says it's a little tough to get out of bed in the middle of the night...just the pulling off to get out of bed while he's still groggy & 1/2 asleep, he means. That's no issue for Mom or I. But, he does say it helps him fall asleep faster & it takes him a while to fall asleep. I never had sleeping issues. But for only $25 at Target, I could buy the lighter-weight one & see how fiance' likes that one.

I think this could easily replace an electric blanket because it gives that comfort & the weight gives a little coziness WITHOUT actually having the heat of an electric blanket plugged in. However, I have an electric blanket too but sure don't use that & the weighted blanket together at the same time!

The brand Jockey (that makes underwear) seems to have just came out w/ some types & weights of blankets (link below). This isn't woven though. To me, they're pricey too, but if money was no object OR I needed another one, I'd get one to put around me while watching TV on the sofa.

https://www.jockey.com/catalog/all/a...peables-anchor

BTW, we don't sleep w/ the A/C on. It would have to be really hot in July or something. We have a ceiling fan & have that on year-round & the window open, which is nice!

Last edited by Forever Blue; 10-30-2022 at 09:59 AM..

Old 10-30-2022, 10:33 AM

I'm looking around myself to maybe get one to use while sitting on the sofa. Check this brand out too called Luna & they have cooling bamboo ones as well:

https://www.lunablanket.com/

Old 10-30-2022, 12:32 PM

I just ordered this one...still pretty good price yet different from the one I have & 10 lbs so 1/2 the weight of the one I have. I plan to use this as a throw &/or on the bed. (QVC still has it in stock too & you can pay in 5 installments.)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Light-Gr...a3bce2db8ee7e5

I would have loved to have bought one of those Jockey ones that I posted above, but I refuse to pay that much.

Old 11-02-2022, 12:29 PM

@Forever Blue: thank you so much! I think I will check out the Target near me to see if I'll like it. I will also check out the links you provided. Thanks again!

Old 11-04-2022, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
@Forever Blue: thank you so much! I think I will check out the Target near me to see if I'll like it. I will also check out the links you provided. Thanks again!

You're so welcome, glad I could help! Keep us posted on how it works out when you get one! My new blanket arrived & it looks like it's going to be nice! So probably my heavier 20-lb one I've had will be put on the bed when it gets cold enough & this new one will be a cozy throw to put on fiance' & I when watching TV on the sofa!

Old 11-15-2022, 08:33 AM

356 posts, read 371,321 times
How do you wash it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews