Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 07:58 AM

7,619 posts, read 6,136,061 times

Advertisements

Last year, we had a few games on local TV and the rest we watched on the computer on the CFL.ca website for free.

Which worked out as we enjoyed watching the games ..... The cheesy elevator music, not so much ....... They could have at least played RUSH or the best of BTO

Still no activity on the QB front in Toronto. Rumors now are that the GM may be terminated for letting the Kelly situation get this far.
CAMPS open today
https://www.cfl.ca/2024/05/11/everyt...aining-camp-3/

First preseason game is a week from tomorrow so Football is about to start.

Tiger-Kitties tickets go on sale Tuesday so I will be certain to get two for the game against the ponies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2024, 02:41 PM

3,989 posts, read 5,824,308 times
Well, it looks like Rourke won't be available for the Argos or any other CFL to claim for a while because he is heading to the NY Giants. https://3downnation.com/2024/05/10/d...nathan-rourke/

Good for the kid. He made just as much if not more in his rookie year in the NFL than either Collaros or Kelly did at their prime if you convert their CAD salaries into USD. It's too bad that he won't see much if any playing time as a backup QB in the Giants than as a starting QB back in the BC Lions but money is money after all.

Old 05-13-2024, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Well, it looks like Rourke won't be available for the Argos or any other CFL to claim for a while because he is heading to the NY Giants. https://3downnation.com/2024/05/10/d...nathan-rourke/

Good for the kid. He made just as much if not more in his rookie year in the NFL than either Collaros or Kelly did at their prime if you convert their CAD salaries into USD. It's too bad that he won't see much if any playing time as a backup QB in the Giants than as a starting QB back in the BC Lions but money is money after all.
WOW The Giants sure did not want the Argos to get him, didn't they?

Not sure what's going on in the 6 this week. CAMPS open, so far I have not heard if they are bringing anyone else in or not to tryout at QB

We will see what they do in the preseason game

Old 05-14-2024, 12:36 PM

WELP I got my tickets to see the Tiger-Kitties vs the Horses Last home game for the Cats and the entire side was already sold out, so we are across the field from the teams

Looks like a fun night in Hamilton must include a Cats game

NOW between now and then, the list of places to eat in Hamilton and Toronto . DO they have anything besides Tim Hortons? LOL

Old 05-14-2024, 06:25 PM

3,989 posts, read 5,824,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
WELP I got my tickets to see the Tiger-Kitties vs the Horses Last home game for the Cats and the entire side was already sold out, so we are across the field from the teams

NOW between now and then, the list of places to eat in Hamilton and Toronto . DO they have anything besides Tim Hortons? LOL
Pretty much everything under the sun when it comes to these two Canadian cities. Pub food, comfort food, Greek food, Caribbean food, Chinese food, Asian Indian food, Middle Eastern food, you name it, they have it. Heck, even Canadian condiments sometimes have a slightly different taste and texture to them. One particular example is this relish brand called Coronation, which I found at a Walmart of all places, that is greener than any American relish I know of. The fast food chains offer different things too. If you hit a Kentucky Fried Chicken, you can order French fries with your fried chicken (which IMO is a bit more savory than our original recipe) and the coleslaw is also greener and less creamy than the American counterpart. It is all for you to explore really. Have fun!

[BTW, if you post your question in the Canadian forum, you'll draw out more responses and suggestions than here.]

Old 05-15-2024, 06:40 PM

3,656 posts, read 3,459,518 times
Quote:
Well, have you been to Hamilton? There isn't a lot else to do.

Just kidding. Years ago, a friend lived there. It may not be Toronto, but there's enough to do in the evenings.

Quote:
There's plenty; so much that you won't feel the need to go to Tim Hortons. All kinds of cuisines that can fit all kinds of budgets.

I have no specific recommendations for individual places, but I can recommend Harvey's. It a Canadian fast food chain that makes all other fast food burgers look pretty sad. Your burger is charcoal-grilled, and when it's ready, you get to select what you want on it. It's not McDonalds, Wendy's, or Burger King, in other words, where the default is everything on a burger; nope, you choose what you want. Mustard, relish, pickles, tomatoes, lettuce, onions, hot peppers, BBQ sauce, ketchup, and a lot more; and they dress your burger right in front of you, so you can say, "Just a little bit of onions," or "Can I get an extra pickle?" or "More mustard," or similar. Definitely worth skipping Tim Hortons for.

Old 05-16-2024, 12:24 AM

Thought about it some more, and realizing you want more than fast food, thought of a few uniquely Canadian places. Generally, family restaurant chains, and not fine dining, but they are reliable and consistent and reasonably priced.

Boston Pizza. Pizza and pasta, with the obligatory burger thrown in for those who want one. The pizza's not bad, the pasta tends to be a little overcooked, but the bolognese sauce makes up for it. Fully licensed (i.e. alcohol is available, and you'll see "fully licensed" a lot on restaurant signs). Many BP's (as they are commonly called) have a separate bar area which does not allow children, but does have full menu service.

Swiss Chalet. Rotisserie chicken and BBQ ribs. The chicken is a treat, and Swiss Chalet's dipping sauce for it is awesome. The ribs are an approximation of southern BBQ, but perfectly acceptable. If Swiss Chalet is having another try at some sort of beef (excluding its obligatory burger), best to avoid it. They've tried various beef things for years, and never quite succeeded.

East Side Mario's. Italian. Better pasta than Boston Pizza; the pizza is about on par with BP's. Never had the parmigiana dishes, but they look nice. Oh, and there is the obligatory burger too.

Montana's. Calls itself "BBQ," but doesn't hold a candle to real southern American BBQ. But hey, we're in Canada, and most Canadians don't know real southern BBQ, so it's acceptable. My ex-wife, who was American, quite liked their ribs anyway. Yep, there's the obligatory burger, so don't worry about that.

Lone Star Texas Grill. A smaller chain than the others, but if you're in the mood for Tex-Mex, you could do a damn sight worse. Great fajitas, and a burrito that is so big, I can never manage to finish it. Guess what else they have?

Mandarin. Chinese buffet, with plenty of western offerings as well, so there's something for everybody. Fairly standard and safe Chinese fare. The hot and sour soup is great, and the Singapore noodles are terrific, with just the right amount of curry. No burgers in sight.

If you're willing to step things up a bit, quality and price-wise ...

The Keg. Steakhouse. Calls itself casual, which it was at one time, but it's become a little classier as the years have gone by. Great steaks, and chicken and fish, though the steaks and prime rib are the stars. Very nice wine list too. Yep, there's a burger. The Keg is more expensive than anything above, but worth it. A treat I give myself once a year.

And if you're really willing to put on the dog and go crazy, quality and price-wise ...

Hy's. Steakhouse. If you know Smith and Wollensky's or Del Frisco's in the US, then you know Hy's. It's on par with them, including price-wise. But for all the cost, you get excellent steaks, a wonderful wine list, and very nice service. I've never gone to Hy's in anything less than a sportcoat and tie, but they don't officially have a dress code. Ripped or ragged jeans and a T-shirt advertising "Led Zeppelin 1975 Tour" will be turned away, of course, but you could get away with slacks and a golf shirt. A treat I give myself about once every five years.

Some ideas anyway. It's a long time until you get here, so you've got plenty of time to research and ask more questions. Wish I could join you actually; it sounds like you're going to have a lot of fun. And I could hit the Lone Star and the Mandarin again (we don't have those in Alberta).

Okay, let's get back to CFL football.

Old 05-20-2024, 03:01 PM

I am watching the PreSeason Opener between the Blue Bombers and the Rough Riders
Something I had not noticed, or forgotten, but the announcers on the broadcast are saying things that remind me of Minor league baseball in the USA
When there is a big play, they name a sponsor\...Such as

"That turnover brought to you by Winston Rothschild's Sewer and Septic sucking services"

They do that on radio broadcasts of the Succaneers and at all the minor league baseball games that we rarely attend (because it is too hot and little fun)

ANYWAY good to see my boy Mason Fine from the ALMA MATER getting some time playing time

Looking forward to a fun season of CFL football

BTW all the games are FREE on the CFL.ca website

Just click on the broadcast, enter your name EMail address and favorite team (Mine is the Tiger-Cats for obvious reasons)
and then in the future just enter your EMail address to watch other games

Old 05-23-2024, 02:32 AM

Quote:
I am watching the PreSeason Opener between the Blue Bombers and the Rough Riders
Something I had not noticed, or forgotten, but the announcers on the broadcast are saying things that remind me of Minor league baseball in the USA
When there is a big play, they name a sponsor\...Such as

"That turnover brought to you by Winston Rothschild's Sewer and Septic sucking services"
That's pretty normal for Canadian sports broadcasts. "And here's a replay of Guerrero Junior's home run, courtesy of Bet 365. Bet 365, for all your sports wagering needs ...." Hey, if somebody is willing to give the broadcaster money in exchange for a mention, I'm all for it. Better than no broadcast, right?

I haven't seen or heard much about CFL, but being in Canada, it's natural that hockey dominates our sports broadcasts and media at this time of year. Once the Edmonton Oilers are eliminated, or they win the Stanley Cup, whichever occurs first, our broadcasters and media will pay more attention to CFL.

Old 05-23-2024, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
That's pretty normal for Canadian sports broadcasts. "And here's a replay of Guerrero Junior's home run, courtesy of Bet 365. Bet 365, for all your sports wagering needs ...." Hey, if somebody is willing to give the broadcaster money in exchange for a mention, I'm all for it. Better than no broadcast, right?

I haven't seen or heard much about CFL, but being in Canada, it's natural that hockey dominates our sports broadcasts and media at this time of year. Once the Edmonton Oilers are eliminated, or they win the Stanley Cup, whichever occurs first, our broadcasters and media will pay more attention to CFL.
I agree. The Canadian Broadcasters are in many ways superior to some of the ABC/NBC/FOX/CBS/ESPN Clowns that call the NFL and college games. I just thought it unusual that instead of massive commercials, they throw ads in during the game.
Minor league baseball does that here in FLorida. Keep in mind, there may be only 50 to 100 fans present, but something like "That strikeout brought to you by HOOTERS....where if you try to pick up the servers, you too will STRIKEOUT" or something like that

I noticed the Fantasy CFL games are up and running on the CFL.CA Website

Not sure who to pick yet, but I think I am going with the BC Canadian Lions in the West, while I would of course want to see the Tiger-Cats in the East, There is too much competition.

Still not word on who the ARGOS will start at QB BUT Sat Night at 7;30 Eastern the Argos will play theif first preseason games vs the Allouttes SO we can get a look at who they have in Campa at QB and the likely starter for the first 8 games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football