Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 03:20 PM

45,741 posts, read 27,368,885 times

Advertisements

What to make of this... ?

Red, yellow, green ... and white? Smarter vehicles could mean big changes for the traffic light

Researchers are exploring ways to use features in modern cars, such as GPS, to make traffic safer and more efficient. Eventually, the upgrades could do away entirely with the red, yellow and green lights of today, ceding control to driverless cars.

The advent of connected and automated vehicles, though, has presented a world of new possibilities for traffic signals.

Among those reimagining traffic flows is a team at North Carolina State University led by Ali Hajbabaie, an associate engineering professor. Rather than doing away with today’s traffic signals, Hajbabaie suggests adding a fourth light, perhaps a white one, to indicate when there are enough autonomous vehicles on the road to take charge and lead the way.

Although Hajbabaie’s research refers to a “white phase” and possibly even a white light, the specific color isn’t important, he said. Current lights could even suffice, say, by modifying them to flash red and green simultaneously to signal that driverless cars are in charge. The key would be making sure that it’s universally adopted like the current signals are.

Using such an approach would be years away, as it would require 40% to 50% of vehicles on the road to be self-driving in order to work, Hajbabaie acknowledged.

Like the article says - we are a LONG way from half of the cars on the road being autonomous... thank goodness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2024, 03:39 PM

26,036 posts, read 19,016,669 times
Yeah... the "driverless car" thing has been working so well to this point.

I just wonder what sort of short circuits are in the brains of these dullards who keep pushing "driverless cars." Anyone with at least an ounce of common sense does NOT want this crap. I'd rather friggin' walk.

Old 05-14-2024, 03:48 PM

8,038 posts, read 3,544,555 times
Gavin Newsome about to enter the chat with an "all new vehicles sold in California will be autonomous by 203X". The tech will catch up if there's mandates right?

Old 05-14-2024, 04:11 PM

6,159 posts, read 2,919,401 times
Why does the light have to be white? ...

Reinventing the wheel, much? This isn't going anywhere, so I'm not going to care, other than the wasted research that could have gone to something more important.

Old 05-14-2024, 04:29 PM
Status: "Wasting time in the internet, just like you." (set 8 hours ago)

1,263 posts, read 643,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

Red, yellow, green ... and white? Smarter vehicles could mean big changes for the traffic light

Researchers are exploring ways to use features in modern cars, such as GPS, to make traffic safer and more efficient. Eventually, the upgrades could do away entirely with the red, yellow and green lights of today, ceding control to driverless cars.

The advent of connected and automated vehicles, though, has presented a world of new possibilities for traffic signals.

Among those reimagining traffic flows is a team at North Carolina State University led by Ali Hajbabaie, an associate engineering professor. Rather than doing away with today’s traffic signals, Hajbabaie suggests adding a fourth light, perhaps a white one, to indicate when there are enough autonomous vehicles on the road to take charge and lead the way.

Although Hajbabaie’s research refers to a “white phase” and possibly even a white light, the specific color isn’t important, he said. Current lights could even suffice, say, by modifying them to flash red and green simultaneously to signal that driverless cars are in charge. The key would be making sure that it’s universally adopted like the current signals are.

Using such an approach would be years away, as it would require 40% to 50% of vehicles on the road to be self-driving in order to work, Hajbabaie acknowledged.

Like the article says - we are a LONG way from half of the cars on the road being autonomous... thank goodness.
So the idea is driverless cars will make traffic efficient by determining traffic light cycles? There still needs to be "breaks" in the intersection flow, so I am doubting autonomous cars can improve traffic much.

I rode in a Waymo a month or so back, about a 3 mile intercity ride in Scottsdale AZ. The driverless car handled traffic lights well enough it seemed. There was a live person that greeted us via microphone when we boarded the car. I just wanted to try it.

Old 05-14-2024, 04:51 PM

6,432 posts, read 2,749,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

So what happens with the other 50% of the cars that aren't autonomous when they see the white light or flashing red and green lights that tells them the autonomous cars are in charge?

Oh here is the answer....
Quote:
“When we get to the intersection, we stop if it’s red and we go if it’s green,” said Hajbabaie, whose team used model cars small enough to hold. “But if the white light is active, you just follow the vehicle in front of you.”
I guess you just hope that the car in front of you is autonomous and not someone trying to run a red light.
Yeah that's going to work well...

Old 05-14-2024, 04:53 PM

20,256 posts, read 21,013,875 times
No thanks. Not in my lifetime. I want to clench to what little freedoms I still have left.

Old 05-14-2024, 04:59 PM

11,876 posts, read 8,112,887 times
I personally think its stupid for a human to follow behind an AI vehicle blindly through an intersection only because a white light told them it was okay.. ..no one has any cognition of individualistic critical thinking in today's era it seems.

Better idea would be:

1. Municipalities and States start to better invest in advance traffic control systems that will adjust the timing and coordination of traffic signals according to traffic levels, flow, needs and demand.

2. When intersections are less busy, start blinking the lights flashing red or flashing yellow with clear electronic indications if cross traffic is not required to stop.. ..sometimes traffic signals create more traffic problems than they actually solve.

Old 05-14-2024, 05:03 PM

6,797 posts, read 3,052,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
No thanks. Not in my lifetime. I want to clench to what little freedoms I still have left.
What do you mean?

You won't be eager to have to pay a monthly subscription just to drive your fancy car?

Go for the platinum tier and get 5 hours of additional AC/Heat !

Save and get +100 extra Tesla Coins by getting the $500 Coin bundle!

Old 05-14-2024, 05:12 PM

23,636 posts, read 17,316,052 times
what happens with auto pilot cars when traffic light is out due to outage, storm or accident?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies