Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 12:45 PM

38,169 posts, read 22,262,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
@74YO I came from the late Hippie period and I never cared for the effects of marijuana as I leaned more toward the hallucinogenic LSD, Mescaline, Psilocybin . I see they're now rediscovering the benefits, with Edible mushrooms now legal Colorado and other cities, like San Francisco, has decriminalized psychedelic mushrooms.

This will be the next battle! Legalized psychedelic mushrooms!

I live in a rec marijuana state and I abhor the skunky smell which you can't avoid, even going to a bar or walking DT or 4th Avenue, or even walking around my 55+ community. That smell travels right into the middle of the street while walking. If I do use marijuana, occasionally, and I buy the marijuana that helps you sleep.
You are the second person to say this. So it does really stink now. I remember when one of the reasons why the anti-tobacco crowd hated cigarette smoking was because the smell of tobacco smoke ruined their appetite, or made being around smokers a horrible experience. Now apparently, smoking pot smells like skunk scent glands.

What the hell have the GMO scientists done to pot? It used to have a sweet smell to it, hence Black Sabbath titling a song "Sweet Leaf." GMO bad, unless it's marijuana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 01:14 PM

37,535 posts, read 61,568,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I am for medical marijuana but only with a Doctor's prescription, renewable every 90 days like everything else, and sold only through commercial pharmacies.

None of this "one card good for life bull****".
I am not aware of any state that allows a medical card good for life.

I have had two medical cards, issued by two different states, in both cases they have expiration dates.

Quote:
... None of this prescription by "qualifying condition". The prescription should be only for a specific given condition
I do not understand what you are trying to say with this.

State legislature makes a list of medical conditions wherein MDs are allowed to prescribe. MDs can review your medical record and if you have one of the legally allowed ailments, poof.

Old Today, 01:21 PM

37,535 posts, read 61,568,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
... What the hell have the GMO scientists done to pot? It used to have a sweet smell to it, hence Black Sabbath titling a song "Sweet Leaf." GMO bad, unless it's marijuana.
In Hebrew, the word for it translates to 'Sweet hemp' or 'Sweet cane'.

Old Today, 01:34 PM

3,396 posts, read 2,167,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
State legislature makes a list of medical conditions wherein MDs are allowed to prescribe. MDs can review your medical record and if you have one of the legally allowed ailments, poof.
Here in FL there is a list of conditions, but docs can prescribe for 'like' conditions, which has effectively meant anybody over 18 who walks in and doesn't identify as a drug dealer will get a card from most marijuana doctors. Cards are good for a year but require a reevaluation every 7 months. I don't particularly care because I think it should be legal and regulated like alcohol and tobacco, but the medical practice is in practice a big scam that largely benefits a handful of approved corporations.

There's a bit more scrutiny with prescribing for minors, however, but finding a truly activist doctor isn't difficult and essentially doubles your 45-day rolling purchase and possession limit, and unfortunately some (usually low-income) parents have occasionally taken advantage of this for less than noble purposes.

While I favor legalizing it generally speaking, and this year's ballot initiative doing that is likely to pass, I do worry about some of the negative externalities that will undoubtedly occur as a consequence. At least the original plan to include home-grows was shelved.

About 1 in 15 FL adults currently has a card and the apocalypse hasn't come for us.

Old Today, 01:43 PM

7,589 posts, read 3,961,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Many of the people who would be eligible for medical marijuana are already on a host of drugs with much more serious side effects. Just listen to the list of side effects of Big Pharma drugs on TV commercials, the list is half the commercial. Anything that can reduce reliance on those meds should be welcomed.
I can't think of a more dangerous side-effect than marijuana induced psychosis, can you?

And in the majority of cases, the efficacy of marijuana in treating illness is not scientifically proven. It's all smoke and mirrors.

Old Today, 01:44 PM

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
I can't think of a more dangerous side-effect than marijuana induced psychosis, can you?

And in the majority of cases, the efficacy of marijuana in treating illness is not scientifically proven. It's all smoke and mirrors.
What do you have to say about liquor?

Old Today, 01:51 PM

7,589 posts, read 3,961,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Medical Marijuana is a scam perpetrated by potheads who just want to smoke pot.

Has about at much credibility as Medicinal Brandy.
100% agree. Although, at least medicinal brandy can be used as a disinfectant.

California was an early adopter of medicinal marijuana. We've had dispensaries for quite some time. It appears the customers are largely young healthy people looking to get high, as was predicted when these places first started to pop up.

As soon as medicinal marijuana cards became available, it seemed every other college-aged kid went out and got one. I have a hard time believing they needed marijuana for illness.

The going joke around here was when a dispensary opened you would see young guy rolling up on their skateboards and running to the door. They looked strong as an ox. Real sick, I'm sure.

Old Today, 02:24 PM

51,051 posts, read 36,758,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You missed my logic in this. We are holding up these laws because they are too broad. The opponents vote them down, because they feel the scammers and fakers will take advantage of medical marijuana. So why not restrict the law to only benefit terminal cancer patients?

People like you want to hold out for all or nothing, meanwhile, people with cancer die in agony. At least pass a law that targets people who are dying.

You're not listening. Pot is not going to relieve agonizing pain. People dying of cancer will get morphine. The stage of cancer where they would benefit from pot is the early phase while they're undergoing chemo/radiation, to relieve the nausea associated with those treatments, and for appetite stimulation. Pot is not a strong pain reliever. Meanwhile people that pot DOES help, won't be able to get it under your scenario, because they would be getting penalized just to prevent some people who are faking injury/illness from getting it.

Old Today, 02:26 PM

Quote:
100% agree. Although, at least medicinal brandy can be used as a disinfectant.

California was an early adopter of medicinal marijuana. We've had dispensaries for quite some time. It appears the customers are largely young healthy people looking to get high, as was predicted when these places first started to pop up.

As soon as medicinal marijuana cards became available, it seemed every other college-aged kid went out and got one. I have a hard time believing they needed marijuana for illness.

The going joke around here was when a dispensary opened you would see young guy rolling up on their skateboards and running to the door. They looked strong as an ox. Real sick, I'm sure.

I find that hard to believe. Pot is easy to get outside of dispensaries. Any college kid can get pot for a small fraction of the cost of medical pot.

Old Today, 02:29 PM

Quote:

I've known dozens and dozens and dozens of people who smoke and not one ever suffered from psychosis. That is mainly an issue with adolescents, who shouldn't be smoking anyway, and people who already have underlying psych issues.

The reason more studies haven't been done is because of the Schedule One classification, which is now removed. But I posted links to Harvard and the NIH that details studies done and the ailments pot has been shown to improve, such as epileptic seizures and pain from Multiple Sclerosis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies