Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 07:44 AM

14,025 posts, read 5,670,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Nancy Pelosi has a habit of going around the world and interfering in other peoples domestic politics, and is hated across the world as a result.
The federal government of America generally shares her habit, but out-of-power Democrats do indeed excel at being annoyingly, patronizingly meddlesome in other countries' domestic affairs. Ironically, it is the worst of their lot doing so - Al Gore, John Kerry, Hillary Clinton and Nancy Pelosi. Literally the four LEAST likable US politicians of the modern age, and they go around the world with their petulant brand of pushy interference.

I recall a cab ride I took in Vienna back before the pandemic in Nov '19, where for 20 minutes straight, my wife and I got a breakdown of all the things Austrians (at least the guy said he was speaking for them, lol) hate about EU and US politicians. Now, this being Austria, the guy spared no small amount of detail crushing Angela Merkel, but bashing her got equal time with Obama, Pelosi, and the only 10 months into annoying all of us with her Squad, AOC. What prompted his 20 minute tirade? He heard me say "good morning" with an American accent. Only thing he said about Trump was he liked how much he annoyed Merkel and the EU elites. I never speak about politics to anyone outside this forum, and literally, he just started monologuing when he heard our accents. Just an ordinary working dude in one of Europe's more famous cities, straight venting spleen about hating on annoying politicians, all of whom seemed to be meddlesome leftists.
Quote:
As for threatening us regarding a trade deal it's fairly pointless, as we have very different regulations and this is especially true in relation to agricultural produce and food additives which is why the EU doesn't have a trade deal with the US.

Biden has also continually makes threats about a non existent trade deal or at least he did, until he officially announced there would be no trade deal last December, however by January the US Ambassador to the UK Jane D. Hartley was writing articles about the glowing special relationship and the need for the UK to stand militarily with the US in relation to the Middle East etc.
US Democrats have been pestering and annoying the UK since the Brexit vote about that US-UK trade deal. The threat lost a ton of steam over the last 8 years because Brexit didn't actually collapse the UK economy as the leftist elites were all so hysterically predicting, and every year that goes by with the UK economy doing just fine without surrendering their sovereignty to Brussels, it gets harder to take such dire threats and warnings seriously.
Quote:
Pelosi is not well liked on the international stage and has just caused the US problems on the international stage whether it be Turkey, China, Russia, the Middle East or even close allies such as the UK etc.

I think most people just with the old hag would just stay out of other countries domestic politics, and the same applies to Hilary Clinton and Biden.
Yeah, a ton of Americans share that wish with our international brothers and sisters. Meddlesome American politicians are hard enough for Americans to suffer, so I can only imagine how much more annoying they are to people they so sanctimoniously and arrogantly intrude upon, like the US is some singular deity among nations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2024, 07:52 AM

52,866 posts, read 34,721,736 times
one of the most cutting segments of that speech:

WINSTON MARSHALL: What about the mainstream media? Let me read you some mainstream media headlines. The New Yorker the day before the 2016 election, "The Case Against Democracy." The Washington Post, the day after the election, "The Problem With Our Government Is Democracy." The LA Times, June 2017, "The British Election Is A Reminder Of The Perils Of Too Much Democracy." Vox, June 2017, "Two eminent political scientists say the problem with democracy is voters." New York Times, June 2017, "The Problem With Participatory Democracy Is The Participants."

Old 05-13-2024, 08:03 AM

27,355 posts, read 13,605,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
The federal government of America generally shares her habit, but out-of-power Democrats do indeed excel at being annoyingly, patronizingly meddlesome in other countries' domestic affairs. Ironically, it is the worst of their lot doing so - Al Gore, John Kerry, Hillary Clinton and Nancy Pelosi. Literally the four LEAST likable US politicians of the modern age, and they go around the world with their petulant brand of pushy interference.

I recall a cab ride I took in Vienna back before the pandemic in Nov '19, where for 20 minutes straight, my wife and I got a breakdown of all the things Austrians (at least the guy said he was speaking for them, lol) hate about EU and US politicians. Now, this being Austria, the guy spared no small amount of detail crushing Angela Merkel, but bashing her got equal time with Obama, Pelosi, and the only 10 months into annoying all of us with her Squad, AOC. What prompted his 20 minute tirade? He heard me say "good morning" with an American accent. Only thing he said about Trump was he liked how much he annoyed Merkel and the EU elites. I never speak about politics to anyone outside this forum, and literally, he just started monologuing when he heard our accents. Just an ordinary working dude in one of Europe's more famous cities, straight venting spleen about hating on annoying politicians, all of whom seemed to be meddlesome leftists.

US Democrats have been pestering and annoying the UK since the Brexit vote about that US-UK trade deal. The threat lost a ton of steam over the last 8 years because Brexit didn't actually collapse the UK economy as the leftist elites were all so hysterically predicting, and every year that goes by with the UK economy doing just fine without surrendering their sovereignty to Brussels, it gets harder to take such dire threats and warnings seriously.

Yeah, a ton of Americans share that wish with our international brothers and sisters. Meddlesome American politicians are hard enough for Americans to suffer, so I can only imagine how much more annoying they are to people they so sanctimoniously and arrogantly intrude upon, like the US is some singular deity among nations.

It's usually seen as inappropriate for politicians from other countries to become involved in another countries domestic issues, however the Democrats seem to have gone out of the way to meddle in recent years.

I can understand the US becoming involved in big international issues such as environmental deals or in
relation to US foreign policy on the global stage however in terms of Brexit it is UK domestic politics and was a democratic decision that had nothing to do with Obama or Biden.

Pelosi and her simmering threats about some trade deal was also pure nonsense, as everyone knew that such a deal wasn't going to happen anyway and she continually repeat the myth that US is somehow a “guarantor” of the Good Friday agreement when this simply isn't true.

Biden has always interfered and did his level best to stop terrorists who were linked to the deaths British citizens from being extradited from the US to the UK, with Biden claiming that such people were political and therefore couldn't not be extradited. however Reagan intervened and passed a 1986 supplementary treaty in order to try and rectify the problem.

The fact that Obama openly threatened Britain just before the Brexit vote was also a very strange thing for a US President to do, as was Biden's criticism of Liz Truss's domestic tax policies, and in reality diplomatic protocol means that you don't overly become involved in other countries domestic politics and you certainly don't openly criticise their leaders domestic politics or make idle threats, and this is especially true in relation to close allies.

As for Pelosi, she just seems to enjoy stirring up trouble whether it's siding with the Greeks and annoying the Turkish or whether it's antagonising the Chinese in relation to Taiwan, the woman is a walking disaster in terms of diplomatic efforts and peace negotiations, with Hilary Clinton also doing her best to antagonise the likes of Putin's Russia and Biden doing the same in terms of the Saudi's who he called a pariah state and then tried to row it back when he realised he needed the Saudi's in relation to controlling global oil prices and in relation to the situation in the Middle East.

Even more hilarious was the Chinese turning up for high level negotiations late last year, only for Biden to describe Chinese President Xi Jinping as a 'dictator', talk about how to win friends and influence people, and it just seems to me that Democrat politicians and more especially the current US administration have a complete lack of diplomatic skills and basic common courtesy.

In terms of the EU, it's popularity in Europe has increasingly suffered due to it's own policies and lack of focus on areas such as border control and immigration, and it's not hard to find critics of the EU in most countries including Austria and your story just further demonstrates the fact.

I do however sometimes have a good laugh at the US media and the Anti-Brexit left narrative as espoused by the New York Times or CNN, MSNBC or The View. One of my favourite quotes was from the New York Times who also liked to paint Britain in a negative light following Brexit, and that the British staple diet is “porridge and boiled mutton” in what later became known s Mutton-gate.

The paper then offered an apology for misstating the name of a London neighbourhood they visited, and that it was not called Mayfield but was known as Mayfair. Although on the plus side according to NYT we no longer consume as many jellied eels, which is high praise indeed. This being just wont example of the Anti-British sentiment that the NYT's has become famous for in more recent years, and the usually narrative painted by the US left wing media outlets is one of poverty stricken racist Britain, or an austerity-reduced wasteland with a long history of terrible colonialism etc .

At times you wouldn't think that the US politicians such as Pelosi or the left wing media such as The New York Times were even describing a close US ally with a supposed special relationship, let alone a country that had in recent years seen the sacrifice of 768 British in the post 9/11 US led War on Terror, in fact the British sacrifice was greater than the rest of Europe put together, and in the end Biden just pulled out of Afghanistan without even consulting or even informing Britain and other important NATO allies.

The New York Times’ hatred of Britain has gone too far - The Telegraph (2022)

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-13-2024 at 08:48 AM..

Old 05-13-2024, 08:49 AM

Quote:
In terms of the EU, it's popularity in Europe has increasingly suffered due to it's own policies and lack of focus on areas such as border control and immigration, and it's not hard to find critics of the EU in most countries including Austria and your story just further demonstrates the fact.
Between Brexit in the UK and the hardline anti-immigration movement started by Hungary and Poland and now being joined by at least the whole Central European group of nations...the EU concept is seeing routine damage to its legitimacy and efficacy. The UK was supposed to drop over dead if they weren't in the Eurozone economic protection racket, and nobody was ever supposed to defy Brussels on leftist immigration politics, but Hungary and Poland apparently either never got that memo or totally ignored it.
Quote:
I do however sometimes have a good laugh at the US media and the Anti-Brexit left narrative as espoused by the New York Times or CNN, MSNBC or The View. One of my favourite quotes was from the New York Times who also liked to paint Britain in a negative light following Brexit, and that the British staple diet is “porridge and boiled mutton” in what later became known s Mutton-gate.
Backwards arsed Americans love to project and proclaim how other nations and cultures are backwards. I can confidently say that misguided, arrogant ignorance is one of the chief exports of the United States.
Quote:
The paper then offered an apology for misstating the name of a London neighbourhood they visited, and that it was not called Mayfield but was known as Mayfair. Although on the plus side according to NYT we no longer consume as many jellied eels, which is high praise indeed. This being just wont example of the Anti-British sentiment that the NYT's has become famous for in more recent years, and the usually narrative painted by the US left wing media outlets is one of poverty stricken racist Britain, or an austerity-reduced wasteland with a long history of terrible colonialism etc .

At times you wouldn't think that the US politicians such as Pelosi or the left wing media such as The New York Times were even describing a close US ally with a supposed special relationship, let alone a country that had in recent years seen the sacrifice of

The New York Times’ hatred of Britain has gone too far - The Telegraph (2022)
What's funny is the NYT, WaPo, etc have that same insulting sanctimonious disdain for any nation that doesn't snap to attention when the Democrats give them parental advice. Our media loves to scold the badly behaved little boys and girls of the international world anytime they dare sass back to Mommy/Daddy America. How dare you speak to us like that...after all we've done for you...or so goes our media's refrain.

Insufferable is probably the best word to describe America's foreign policy, both the formal political version and the informal media/cultural narrative version.

Old 05-13-2024, 10:02 AM

52,866 posts, read 34,721,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
The only thing people need to know at this point is that when the left says "democracy," it's usually euphemism for left-wing authoritarianism.
exactly. for instance:

'Far-right' German party threat to democracy so can be spied on, says court

Old Yesterday, 04:29 AM

27,355 posts, read 13,605,681 times
Quote:
Between Brexit in the UK and the hardline anti-immigration movement started by Hungary and Poland and now being joined by at least the whole Central European group of nations...the EU concept is seeing routine damage to its legitimacy and efficacy. The UK was supposed to drop over dead if they weren't in the Eurozone economic protection racket, and nobody was ever supposed to defy Brussels on leftist immigration politics, but Hungary and Poland apparently either never got that memo or totally ignored it.

Backwards arsed Americans love to project and proclaim how other nations and cultures are backwards. I can confidently say that misguided, arrogant ignorance is one of the chief exports of the United States.

What's funny is the NYT, WaPo, etc have that same insulting sanctimonious disdain for any nation that doesn't snap to attention when the Democrats give them parental advice. Our media loves to scold the badly behaved little boys and girls of the international world anytime they dare sass back to Mommy/Daddy America. How dare you speak to us like that...after all we've done for you...or so goes our media's refrain.

Insufferable is probably the best word to describe America's foreign policy, both the formal political version and the informal media/cultural narrative version.
I totally agree with you Volobjectitarian.

As for Brexit, it really doesn't matter what US politicians think about it, they should stay out of other countries domestic affairs and not be interfering.

These same US politicians would be screaming blue murder if other countries interfered in their country and even have in relation to far more covert and discrete Russian and Chinese interference.

It's the same in terms of some of the more left leaning US media who really need to tone down some of their rhetoric in terms of allies.

It's worth noting that the official line relation to other countries domestic affairs is usually that is a matter for the people of that country or you would have to ask the President/Prime Minister of that country or even a simple 'No Comment'.

The truth is the US doesn't adhere or ratify most international treaties and laws, and doesn't even have any moral high ground when it comes to lecturing other countries on international issues never mind domestic issues.

Why the US Democrats have to become involved in issues that often have little to do with the US or inflame issues through ill thought out comments and speeches is beyond me, and it's bad enough when it's adversaries during negotiations however in terms of allies in just beggars belief.

It is however important to differentiate between the average American citizen who often do not support the actions and interference of people such as Beiden, Pelosi and Hilary Clinton etc, and who often just want to lead peaceful lives free from the interference of politicians themselves.

Old Yesterday, 07:00 AM

Quote:
As for Brexit, it really doesn't matter what US politicians think about it, they should stay out of other countries domestic affairs and not be interfering.

These same US politicians would be screaming blue murder if other countries interfered in their country and even have in relation to far more covert and discrete Russian and Chinese interference.
Back when Brexit was first proposed, Obama went way too far with his "I am the world's father and you will all do as I say!" nonsense. For sure, if any nation or even group thereof were dropping those same rhetorical threats at us, Americans would be up in arms and hysterical.
Quote:
The truth is the US doesn't adhere or ratify most international treaties and laws, and doesn't even have any moral high ground when it comes to lecturing other countries on international issues never mind domestic issues.
On countless international issues, America not only has no moral high ground, we are likely one of the world's top villains, if not the clear #1.
Quote:
Why the US Democrats have to become involved in issues that often have little to do with the US or inflame issues through ill thought out comments and speeches is beyond me, and it's bad enough when it's adversaries during negotiations however in terms of allies in just beggars belief.
I have pondered this since you posted it, and all I can come up with is they do it to play against the meta that they are weak on defense and international relations. The highest altitude, old style view of the two major parties is that Democrat are strong on big domestic government like welfare spending, the little guy, non-white victim classes, etc, and they are weak on defense, economics, US global power, etc. Meanwhile, the Republicans are seen as the bullies who don't care about the little guy at all, want to push grandma off a cliff in her wheelchair, but are cronies with the defense cabal and global war machine and want America to project strength and power anywhere and everywhere.

Our moronic politicians make a ton of their idiotic decisions and mistakes trying to counter these circa 1970-80s high level platform views. Thus, you get high level Democrats running about the world making scolding even threatening "boss nation' speeches in other nations' backyards, in an effort to appear to the American media and that tiny set of undecided voters as tough on diplomacy, tough on international relations and just tough tough and more tough.

Basically, they take a crap in your living room to prove to their supporters how cool they are.
Quote:
It is however important to differentiate between the average American citizen who often do not support the actions and interference of people such as Beiden, Pelosi and Hilary Clinton etc, and who often just want to lead peaceful lives free from the interference of politicians themselves.
What the average American citizen knows about international affairs fits in a thimble with room to spare. Our voters go strictly by preconceived notions, media generated illusions and appeals to fantasy/popularity. So no, they do not think or say anything the politicians are saying, because most are totally ignorant of the subject matter, and wait for MSNBC of Fox News to tell them waht and how to think.

Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM

23,976 posts, read 12,763,793 times
Quote:
Back when Brexit was first proposed, Obama went way too far with his "I am the world's father and you will all do as I say!" nonsense. For sure, if any nation or even group thereof were dropping those same rhetorical threats at us, Americans would be up in arms and hysterical.

On countless international issues, America not only has no moral high ground, we are likely one of the world's top villains, if not the clear #1.

I have pondered this since you posted it, and all I can come up with is they do it to play against the meta that they are weak on defense and international relations. The highest altitude, old style view of the two major parties is that Democrat are strong on big domestic government like welfare spending, the little guy, non-white victim classes, etc, and they are weak on defense, economics, US global power, etc. Meanwhile, the Republicans are seen as the bullies who don't care about the little guy at all, want to push grandma off a cliff in her wheelchair, but are cronies with the defense cabal and global war machine and want America to project strength and power anywhere and everywhere.

Our moronic politicians make a ton of their idiotic decisions and mistakes trying to counter these circa 1970-80s high level platform views. Thus, you get high level Democrats running about the world making scolding even threatening "boss nation' speeches in other nations' backyards, in an effort to appear to the American media and that tiny set of undecided voters as tough on diplomacy, tough on international relations and just tough tough and more tough.

Basically, they take a crap in your living room to prove to their supporters how cool they are.

What the average American citizen knows about international affairs fits in a thimble with room to spare. Our voters go strictly by preconceived notions, media generated illusions and appeals to fantasy/popularity. So no, they do not think or say anything the politicians are saying, because most are totally ignorant of the subject matter, and wait for MSNBC of Fox News to tell them waht and how to think.
"On countless international issues, America not only has no moral high ground, we are likely one of the world's top villains, if not the clear #1."

^This, is what Trump was referring to when he made the "poisoning the blood" comment. He was referring to the meddling that our government has been doing in other countries over the past few decades which has been causing a migrant crisis. Naturally, Biden*, other Democrats and their left media have been spinning it to wrongfully make it appear that he was referring to the migrants themselves.

Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM

7,583 posts, read 3,961,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
The only thing people need to know at this point is that when the left says "democracy," it's usually euphemism for left-wing authoritarianism.
That statement deserves 100 reps. Sorry I can only give you one.

Old Today, 10:58 AM

59 posts, read 109,193 times
Meanwhile... Paulie is getting "banged" again somewhere in SF!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies