Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2024, 01:28 AM

408 posts, read 231,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Illegal in Allegheny County. Plumbing work must be done by a licensed plumber.
If the OP does this above board with a licensed plumber who files for a permit, then ACHD Plumbing Inspector will go out to make sure that the work WAS done correctly - thus providing peace of mind about their investment.
The code states you only need a permit if you’re touching the main sewer / drainage stack. A friend of mine who is a master plumber and works for the hospital here, showed me the code and requirements. He does all my plumbing work (and vastly cheaper. He installed 300 feet of PEX A and 16 valves for me for under $2,100 in labor and does not upsell on parts (he gives me all the receipts). Now if the main poster is touching the drain stack, then he will be in trouble if caught and not get a permit. Some people cheat the system a little bit and use someone else’s license which is also illegal to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2024, 08:51 AM

10,810 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higherho View Post
The code states you only need a permit if you’re touching the main sewer / drainage stack. A friend of mine who is a master plumber and works for the hospital here, showed me the code and requirements. He does all my plumbing work (and vastly cheaper. He installed 300 feet of PEX A and 16 valves for me for under $2,100 in labor and does not upsell on parts (he gives me all the receipts). Now if the main poster is touching the drain stack, then he will be in trouble if caught and not get a permit. Some people cheat the system a little bit and use someone else’s license which is also illegal to do.

Eggaxctly. There are literally HUNDREDS of contractors in AC that remodel bathrooms every day (google the names) who are not master plumbers and who replace tubs/showers, sinks/vanities and toilets, all of which accept water, and release water and are pretty much the sole occupants of bathrooms. (Prolly why they call it bathroom remodeling? )

The code CLEARLY (as you spell out) allows said work as long as the stack is not touched, altered, changed (it says that in blue and white) and that the water delivery pipes are not changed. <---it also says that. If fact, not being a lawyer or code officer, it appears that based on the OP description, this might even be exempt work. however, a BUILDING permit may be required if walls and flooring come down/up.

Since the OP has indicated it is an older house and it has hidden issues (<---important keyword) I stand on my position, the OP needs to consult a carpenter to evaluate and plan corrective actions for any structural deficiencies - which not to be negative nelly - if this is really an OLDER pittsburgh house, are most certainly present. This is why homeowners pay us big bucks (and gripe about it) the point is to correct deficiencies and not build upon them (no pun)

Old 02-12-2024, 10:15 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
Toilets, sinks, showers all need health department inspections. 32 years working as a contractor. Sure guys do it all the time but I have been told stories about plumbing inspectors seeing a washington County plumber working on a house in ac. They were fined. I know a guy who had a toilet in his truck and an inspector saw it. He was given a cease work order and fined. They don't just inspect the drain lines but also inspect the water temp to keep burns from happening and disease from forming in the water tank. Have I replaced tubs myself, hell yea. Did I hire a lot of plumbers, hell yea. The way I look at it is the amount I charge for a plumber to do the drain and water hookups is not too far off of what I charge to do it, why not pass the liability to someone more qualified than me.

Old 02-13-2024, 05:42 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,129,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
Toilets, sinks, showers all need health department inspections. 32 years working as a contractor. Sure guys do it all the time but I have been told stories about plumbing inspectors seeing a washington County plumber working on a house in ac. They were fined. I know a guy who had a toilet in his truck and an inspector saw it. He was given a cease work order and fined. They don't just inspect the drain lines but also inspect the water temp to keep burns from happening and disease from forming in the water tank. Have I replaced tubs myself, hell yea. Did I hire a lot of plumbers, hell yea. The way I look at it is the amount I charge for a plumber to do the drain and water hookups is not too far off of what I charge to do it, why not pass the liability to someone more qualified than me.
A contractor I would hire. Everyone thinks they know better, most don't. Yes even if a little more expensive its worth avoiding risk. Most of the time going cheap works out but when it doesn't it goes really bad and personally I have enough stress in my life already.

Old 02-13-2024, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
A contractor I would hire. Everyone thinks they know better, most don't. Yes even if a little more expensive its worth avoiding risk. Most of the time going cheap works out but when it doesn't it goes really bad and personally I have enough stress in my life already.
How many houses have you seen with an ugly patch in the kitchen ceiling due to a plumbing issue. Why would anyone take the chance to save a few dollars.

Old 02-13-2024, 08:56 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,129,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
How many houses have you seen with an ugly patch in the kitchen ceiling due to a plumbing issue. Why would anyone take the chance to save a few dollars.
Ha. that is too accurate. I actually have that patch in my home. It had an existing patch when we bought 16 years ago and a few years later issues came back. I tore out and fixed it, big pain trying to find a matching fitting from long ago to match up in the shower. I rerepaired the ceiling but its plaster and I did a soso job, I'm better now but don't feel like trying to smooth it out.

Old 02-13-2024, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Ha. that is too accurate. I actually have that patch in my home. It had an existing patch when we bought 16 years ago and a few years later issues came back. I tore out and fixed it, big pain trying to find a matching fitting from long ago to match up in the shower. I rerepaired the ceiling but its plaster and I did a soso job, I'm better now but don't feel like trying to smooth it out.
That patch isn't worth the few hundred you will save by not getting a plumber.

Old 02-14-2024, 09:10 PM

Going to talk more to my master plumber about this tomorrow but below is the Allegheny county code. You will also notice “Exempt” work as well. So the pipes I replaced because of a leak did not require a permit. Section 106 AC 106 lists the exempt work. Anyways, always get a master plumber regardless of permit or not. Too many people do crappy things. Like for example, using Sharkbites as “permanent” solution, not wise and just a cheap method.

https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/PA...1_Ch01_SubCh02

Last edited by Higherho; 02-14-2024 at 09:19 PM..

Old 03-11-2024, 08:59 AM

3 posts, read 1,589 times
I see I had started a full debate here ...

To post an update - I had Cheddar's Plumbing come and do the repairs.They were great. I recommend them.

They did not need to replace the bathtub at this point - just update the plumbing for it. This was the best solution as I was not prepared to have the bathroom remodeled right now. (I would have to do it one day, but I'd rather have it done right and that needs some planning ahead).

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice.

Old 03-11-2024, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnamariB View Post
I see I had started a full debate here ...

To post an update - I had Cheddar's Plumbing come and do the repairs.They were great. I recommend them.

They did not need to replace the bathtub at this point - just update the plumbing for it. This was the best solution as I was not prepared to have the bathroom remodeled right now. (I would have to do it one day, but I'd rather have it done right and that needs some planning ahead).

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice.
I heard of them and my master plumber friend also states they are good. I forgot to follow up on this but you don’t need a permit for water lines and such. I also reached out directly to the county (and they stated the same thing) as I was looking for past permits filed on my house. Interesting they only hold records for 5 years but I did get a receipt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh