Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2024, 07:23 AM

748 posts, read 338,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A tech company is poised to move its global headquarters to Pittsburgh’s Strip District, showcasing the region’s continuing success at attracting high-tech businesses.

Quote:
He said the company will create at least 250 jobs in Pittsburgh over the next four years as well as invest $2.3 million in the move. That is matched by a $2.3 million grant from the Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development. Excelitas also will be encouraged to apply for state research and development tax credits.
https://triblive.com/business/tech-c...trip-district/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2024, 09:47 PM

99 posts, read 110,072 times
Great news

Old 01-14-2024, 11:19 PM

577 posts, read 560,509 times
I was just reading about the city of Pittsburgh and it hit me that with Carnegie Mellon and Univ of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh is more or less just one university short of having the same assets as North Carolina's Research Triangle (Duke, UNC, NC State).

If Pittsburgh could add another state university to serve science and engineering students who can't get into Carnegie-Mellon (and maybe Pitt also) - but are smart - and then if the State of Pennsylvania were to transition to a right-to-work state with no income tax, a la Texas and Florida, Pittsburgh almost certainly would become the next Austin or Raleigh-Durham.

These are changes that state leaders could make tomorrow morning at 8:30AM. I haven't yet been to Pittsburgh, but I keep reading that it's a better city than Portland, Oregon and that it now has a tech scene similar to Silicon Valley.

So this gets my mind thinking...wow, yet the Pittsburgh Metro area has been at a standstill or shrinking in population, despite all these assets. But the solutions are right in front of city and state leaders. With such incredible assets, Pittsburgh is just a couple of public policy changes away from being the next Austin or North Carolina Research Triangle. Incredible.

Old 01-15-2024, 02:58 PM

4,581 posts, read 3,406,102 times
RTP, like most of NC has a killer freeway system and a rapidly growing mass transit/ regional rail system

Old 01-16-2024, 03:19 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
While gaining Exelitas, the Pittsburgh area will probably lose the headquarters of Ansys currently based in Canonsburg. Ansys designs CAE/multiphysics engineering simulation software for product design. A Sunnyvale, CA company, Synopsys, is the buyer. The sales price is $35 billion.

Synopsys to buy engineering software firm Ansys in $35 billion deal (msn.com)

Old 01-19-2024, 10:48 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
I was just reading about the city of Pittsburgh and it hit me that with Carnegie Mellon and Univ of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh is more or less just one university short of having the same assets as North Carolina's Research Triangle (Duke, UNC, NC State).

If Pittsburgh could add another state university to serve science and engineering students who can't get into Carnegie-Mellon (and maybe Pitt also) - but are smart - and then if the State of Pennsylvania were to transition to a right-to-work state with no income tax, a la Texas and Florida, Pittsburgh almost certainly would become the next Austin or Raleigh-Durham.

These are changes that state leaders could make tomorrow morning at 8:30AM. I haven't yet been to Pittsburgh, but I keep reading that it's a better city than Portland, Oregon and that it now has a tech scene similar to Silicon Valley.

So this gets my mind thinking...wow, yet the Pittsburgh Metro area has been at a standstill or shrinking in population, despite all these assets. But the solutions are right in front of city and state leaders. With such incredible assets, Pittsburgh is just a couple of public policy changes away from being the next Austin or North Carolina Research Triangle. Incredible.
Pittsburgh also has Duquesne and a number of smaller universities, in addition to CMU and Pitt.

https://www.duq.edu/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh