Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2023, 10:20 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Yes, I think Whole foods improved and lost their way. Prices I think are a little more reasonable, I still expect to pay more for less common brands but they've come down I feel. The rest of it, yeah less Whole Foods and more Amazon.

Trader Joes, my wife grew up with them in CA. It's just not the same anymore, their brand quality has gone way down but they still have a few decent items. Their prices though are much cheaper, the quality is starting to match the price.
Wild how you views are completely opposite of mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2023, 09:51 AM

79 posts, read 69,729 times
I don't know why people shop at Giant Eagle. The prices there are significantly higher on nearly every item compared to many other options. I have seen items $1, $2, $3, $4 higher in price than other stores less than a mile away. The difference is even greater with Giant Eagle prepared food.

Old 10-31-2023, 12:26 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moreofless View Post
I don't know why people shop at Giant Eagle. The prices there are significantly higher on nearly every item compared to many other options. I have seen items $1, $2, $3, $4 higher in price than other stores less than a mile away. The difference is even greater with Giant Eagle prepared food.
Giant Eagle has a quality product and is a one stop shopping destination. Not to mention the meat selection and quality is very good for a major grocery chain. I prefer Giant Eagle Market District over anything else.

Old 11-21-2023, 10:49 AM

79 posts, read 69,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Giant Eagle has a quality product and is a one stop shopping destination. Not to mention the meat selection and quality is very good for a major grocery chain. I prefer Giant Eagle Market District over anything else.
Their prices are sky-high. I can pay as much as $1+ less on one item and get the same quality elsewhere. Giant Eagle is great at manipulating the customer and great at using predatory tactics to try to restrain competition. It is easy to save 20%-50% or more just by shopping elsewhere.

The sad thing is the media will not tell this story because of the Giant Eagle advertising budget.

Old 11-22-2023, 06:24 AM

10,811 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
Their prices are sky-high. I can pay as much as $1+ less on one item and get the same quality elsewhere. Giant Eagle is great at manipulating the customer and great at using predatory tactics to try to restrain competition. It is easy to save 20%-50% or more just by shopping elsewhere.

The sad thing is the media will not tell this story because of the Giant Eagle advertising budget.

second this. yesterday did the typical turkey day basket (as we host a soiree)...its up nearly 50% since last year and this does not include turkey(s) - making 3 -, we got that from costco

dubya-tee-aitch

Old 11-22-2023, 11:35 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
I'm lucky that I have several nice Walmarts that are convenient. They are considerably cheaper for most products. The biggest difference is the produce. It seems most Walmarts get fresh produce almost every day. Giant Eagle and Martin's just don't do the business that Walmart does and they don't restock produce nearly as often. We do buy most of our meat at Martin's, and sometimes Giant Eagle. I had one bad experience with steak at Walmart and have never bought it there again.

I have two daughters who avoid Walmart. The one lives on Long Island, and the other used to live in Tampa and now lives in Texas. They say the Walmarts in those areas are dirty, dingy, and not safe. Definitely not my experience around here.

Old 11-22-2023, 03:36 PM

33,313 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I'm lucky that I have several nice Walmarts that are convenient. They are considerably cheaper for most products. The biggest difference is the produce. It seems most Walmarts get fresh produce almost every day. Giant Eagle and Martin's just don't do the business that Walmart does and they don't restock produce nearly as often. We do buy most of our meat at Martin's, and sometimes Giant Eagle. I had one bad experience with steak at Walmart and have never bought it there again.

I have two daughters who avoid Walmart. The one lives on Long Island, and the other used to live in Tampa and now lives in Texas. They say the Walmarts in those areas are dirty, dingy, and not safe. Definitely not my experience around here.

I don't know where in Texas she lives, but that hasn't been my experience in the Walmarts in the Houston metro in the last 15 years.

Old 11-22-2023, 04:36 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I don't know where in Texas she lives, but that hasn't been my experience in the Walmarts in the Houston metro in the last 15 years.
She has lived in Austin and San Antonio. HEB seems to be the dominant grocery story in that part of Texas.

Old 12-13-2023, 07:51 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
Quote:
1# Quality. I got tired of my cheap groceries going bad in 2 days.

2# Variety. The igle carries ethnic and organic products.

Old 12-14-2023, 08:28 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
I go to Aldi's for most things and Fresh Thyme for whatever else.

I think Giant Eagle does the "hometown markup", meaning they take advantage of our supposed loyalty to the hometown store. Stopped shopping there ages ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh