Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography > Photography Contests
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in monthly photo contests in City-Data?
Yes 23 85.19%
No 4 14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 08:25 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,810 times

Advertisements

I participated in the previous contests for quite awhile, until they finally died out for several reasons. They appealed to me because each month, the contests pushed me to grab my camera and try to create something new to suit that month's theme. The idea of entering photos taken any time, or even over an extended time period, is much less appealing and just an excuse to drag old archived photos. IMO, it should be limited to photos taken within the specific contest time period, preferably 30 days. If you don't have a chance to get out and shoot that month, you just take a pass. There's always the next month. Just my $0.02...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2021, 03:35 PM

18,116 posts, read 11,750,994 times
Maybe altering the rules a little bit to suit each participant player? If you really did take the "Winter" theme photos two months ago, why not use them? Since you are still the creator of that photograph?

That's what this is all about - You as a Creator sharing your work here in City-Data. We still have until March 20th - The first day of Spring. Then, maybe do "Spring" until "Summer" and it keeps going? Just a thought.

It is all about having fun with your camera and sharing your work.

Old 02-01-2021, 08:03 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
I liked the photo contests but I would not want to be the administrator or moderator of a contest.

Old 02-01-2021, 10:36 PM

61,656 posts, read 87,023,434 times
I liked the photo contest, but we should discuss some rules. Previously I noticed people voting for every photo. I think that one person should vote just for one photo. Only one is the best, no?
Not sure how to eliminate people voting for their friends rather than for a photo - it was a problem with that before.
Theme Photo could be timed, but Best Photo for a different theme maybe not.
We could set more than one contest a month. (different themes).

All that ^^^ open for discussion...

Everything else set by previous Mod was fine (as far as I can remember).

Running a contest every month is a commitment. Whoever decide to run it should understand that there is serious work involved.

Last edited by elnina; 02-01-2021 at 10:50 PM..

Old 03-07-2022, 05:36 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,367,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I liked the photo contest, but we should discuss some rules. Previously I noticed people voting for every photo. I think that one person should vote just for one photo. Only one is the best, no?
Not sure how to eliminate people voting for their friends rather than for a photo - it was a problem with that before.
Theme Photo could be timed, but Best Photo for a different theme maybe not.
We could set more than one contest a month. (different themes).

All that ^^^ open for discussion...

Everything else set by previous Mod was fine (as far as I can remember).

Running a contest every month is a commitment. Whoever decide to run it should understand that there is serious work involved.
I know I'm replying to this a little more than 1 year late, but yes I'd love to see the past photography contests come back! I don't see a problem with them coming back, as long as it is ensured you only could vote for one photo and not multiple photos.

I'd really, REALLY like to see the C-D moderators, bring the photo contests back to this board again!

Old 03-10-2022, 03:51 AM

61,656 posts, read 87,023,434 times
It seems that there is interest to participate in such contests, but no interest to maintain it.
What Poncho did for years was a true commitment...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography > Photography Contests