Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2024, 04:46 PM

410 posts, read 399,925 times

Advertisements

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/19/tech/...hnk/index.html

Hong Kong
CNN

TSMC says its second factory in Arizona will be delayed, marking another setback for the world’s largest chipmaker and its role in US President Joe Biden’s bid to boost American manufacturing.

The facility will now be operational in 2027 or 2028, compared to previous expectations of a 2026 start, according to Chairman Mark Liu.

“There will be a gap,” he told analysts on an earnings call Thursday.

Liu said construction on the shell of the factory had begun, but the Taiwanese chipmaking titan needed to review “how much incentives … the US government can provide.”

The company is in close contact with US officials on the matter, including discussion of tax credits, he added.

It’s the second time TSMC (TSM), the world’s largest chipmaker, has been forced to push back its plans in the western US state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2024, 04:47 PM

This thing aint opening. Plus intel laying off people continually. I think Phoenix future as the chip making hub of the country was a bit over stated.

Old 01-22-2024, 05:25 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinezac View Post
This thing aint opening. Plus intel laying off people continually. I think Phoenix future as the chip making hub of the country was a bit over stated.
Intel is still cranking along on construction. I live near the Intel ocotillo campus and I can tell you this area has been a chip making hub for years. Lots of Intel workers as well as support company employees in the area and they have nice houses and cars.

Old 01-22-2024, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Intel is still cranking along on construction. I live near the Intel ocotillo campus and I can tell you this area has been a chip making hub for years. Lots of Intel workers as well as support company employees in the area and they have nice houses and cars.
Intels financial situation is terrible and they have laid off 20% of their employees with more layoffs coming. I would surprised if they ever get those new fabrication plants full running.

Old 01-22-2024, 07:03 PM

2,774 posts, read 5,727,219 times
Quote:
https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/19/tech/...hnk/index.html

Hong Kong
CNN

TSMC says its second factory in Arizona will be delayed, marking another setback for the world’s largest chipmaker and its role in US President Joe Biden’s bid to boost American manufacturing.

The facility will now be operational in 2027 or 2028, compared to previous expectations of a 2026 start, according to Chairman Mark Liu.

“There will be a gap,” he told analysts on an earnings call Thursday.

Liu said construction on the shell of the factory had begun, but the Taiwanese chipmaking titan needed to review “how much incentives … the US government can provide.”

The company is in close contact with US officials on the matter, including discussion of tax credits, he added.

It’s the second time TSMC (TSM), the world’s largest chipmaker, has been forced to push back its plans in the western US state.
Not even hiding the shake down.

I've said it here before, the CHIPS money will be gone in a few years and we'll be no more chip secure than we are now (and probably less secure).

Old 01-22-2024, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Not even hiding the shake down.

I've said it here before, the CHIPS money will be gone in a few years and we'll be no more chip secure than we are now (and probably less secure).
Yup exactly. Not even an attempt to act like they don’t want government money. Plant can’t succeed without it apprently.

Old 01-22-2024, 09:48 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times
Quote:
Intels financial situation is terrible and they have laid off 20% of their employees with more layoffs coming. I would surprised if they ever get those new fabrication plants full running.
Intel is planning to produce its latest AI chips at the Ocotillo campus and like I said construction is still ongoing.

Old 01-23-2024, 06:57 AM

9,744 posts, read 11,165,585 times
Quote:
This thing aint opening.
A friend sold them >>$1B worth of fab equipment. It's sitting in a warehouse. Like many suppliers who sold to TSMC, they are trying to renegotiate aspects of their signed agreements. As in, the terms were FOB. Now, they want the supplier to absorb the cost of money until they can use it. Not! He is as close to this project as anyone. It's going forward.

Any layoff at Intel only means they will have x percent of workers going to the sweatshop called TSMC. Semi's are extremely cyclical. They are using labor shortages, their current fab surplus situation, and other topics to extract more $$ out of Uncle Sam.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 01-23-2024 at 08:16 AM..

Old 01-23-2024, 08:19 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
Should we be worried of how much Uncle Sam is getting fleeced, or that a chip shortage is a huge national security issue?

Old 01-23-2024, 08:30 AM

4,603 posts, read 6,366,715 times
Seems like city governments are so gullible....big business is like the marionette master, just pulling the strings to see the puppet jump.

Bass Pro has extorted communities for years concerning the placement of their stores, playing one against the other to see which city offers the best (for Bass Pro) package. New freeway off ramps, new streets, exemption from paying sales taxes for x years, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area