Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 06:21 PM

24,603 posts, read 10,921,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I am not in Phoenix or Iowa but I would like to make a couple of comments.

Went from OKC to Arizona in 1981. In 1981 there probably weren't more than 10 sit down Mexican places in the entire OKC metro. Moved to Arizona and they were limitless. Now OKC is that way. You couldn't eat at all the Mexican places in OKC if you ate at a different one every night for a year. Very much like Arizona was back in the day.

Today I live in a small OK town just outside of what might be considered the exurban part of OKC. This town is now 30-35% Hispanic. We have about 10 Mexican places including four which are literally right next to each other. This in a town of 10K.

What has happened here is that every time a restaurant closes it emerges as another Mexican joint. Slowly, we have lost a lot of our American food options. The funny thing though is that these Mexican places are all good. And they actually put Taco Bell out of business here.

I sure miss Sonoran style though. I've never found an OKC place that serves a cheese crisp. And I basically can't eat a chimichanga here after eating them in Arizona.
Name four good ones. Not canned beans. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2024, 06:39 PM

4,175 posts, read 2,575,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
When are people going to get it? It's not about race. It's about behavior.

^^^^^ This.

Back to food, Mexican food is my all time favorite with Chinese food next yummiest. Japanese, and South Korean look good too.

Old 01-18-2024, 04:25 AM

9,747 posts, read 11,171,717 times
There are 14, non-chain Chinese restaurants in Scottsdale. I excluded Fusion venues. I also didn't include Vietnamese, Thai, Japanese, and Korean. I don't see a problem.

Old 01-18-2024, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
My guess is that in a Midwestern small town, complaints about too many Mexican restaurants are really a thinly veiled complaint about too many Mexican people. Agriculture and meat processing wouldn't be viable without immigrant labor, but some people don't like to see their community demographics change.
There is no "dog whistling" on this topic. If someone thought that there were too many Mexicans in their Midwestern small town, they would bluntly say it loud and clear.

But you are right. Many people in Midwestern small towns are not into diversity and like it the way it used to be. So when they think there are too many Mexican restaurants, it's literal. But they include Taco Bell and Taco John's (Midwest garbage chain) in the mix.

Furthermore, in the Midwest small-town atmosphere, many owners of Mexican restaurants are not Hispanic. Or, they have an American restaurant with some chimichanga (not a Mexican dish) or a quesadilla on their menu. Of course, with some Pace brand salsa on the side. Ultra mild, please!! And let's not forget a Land-O-Lakes brand, single-sized tube of sour cream. I can visualize that dish as we speak. Both dishes are topped with some hard pink diced tomatoes. Yum! Ask me how I know.

Old 01-18-2024, 07:27 AM

188 posts, read 136,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
The ones who come for a handout, now that might be a different situation, but not because they're Mexican.
I love the Mexican culture. I'm married to a Mexican for pet's sake. Without calling this a blanket statement, I believe most Mexicans come here because they want a better life for their family and they want to bust their a$$ to make a living. They are not looking for handouts. I rarely see more dedicated, hard working people than Mexicans. Their family values and work ethic are astounding. We could learn a few things from them.

Old 01-18-2024, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner View Post
I love the Mexican culture. I'm married to a Mexican for pet's sake. Without calling this a blanket statement, I believe most Mexicans come here because they want a better life for their family and they want to bust their a$$ to make a living. They are not looking for handouts. I rarely see more dedicated, hard working people than Mexicans. Their family values and work ethic are astounding. We could learn a few things from them.
Agreed ^^.

Old 03-15-2024, 05:35 PM

7,782 posts, read 6,396,341 times
I miss the fried ice cream that I used to get when I lived in AZ.

Old 03-15-2024, 08:33 PM

35 posts, read 31,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Are there any Mexican restaurants in Phoenix that specialize in regional Mexican cuisine, such as Oaxacan?

La Parrilla Suiza in Mesa specializes in Mexico City food.

Old 03-16-2024, 11:45 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,993,050 times
There isn't a scarcity of Chinese restaurants. A quick Google search shows at least 20 in Phoenix proper alone. I'm set with Westside Window.

Mexican restaurants are popular. Everywhere. We live in a state with a huge Mexican population. Couple the diaspora with an already popular food style, it's a no brainer as to why the proliferation of Mexican restaurants on Phoenix metro.

Old 03-24-2024, 09:50 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,666,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
See https://www.city-data.com/city/Phoenix-Arizona.html

There are 4% Asians in PHX. And, not all PHX Asians are Chinese. Because of the lower percentage of Chinese restaurants, I'm inspired to start one... But with a twist. I'm thinking out loud. I'd call it "Whities." Maybe a fusion restaurant combining Chinese staple dishes with my Scandinavian heritage. Thinking out loud, maybe a "lutefisk stir fry" or "sardines or mackerel Chow Mein." Or how about spring rolls dipped in lingonberry sauce?
Or Mu-Shu Herring on Lefse? That would make for an interesting matpakke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area