Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2024, 09:59 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,166,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onenewman View Post
I don't know the Bible eh? How atheistic of you to ass-you-m. Here it is: Christ said: "I give them eternal life, and they will never perish".
You Godless people show up on Christian forums all the time so I thought I should pop into one of your meeting places. My post has nothing to do with "religion" and all to do with fear of death.
Whatever makes you feel good. Now please go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2024, 10:04 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,166,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Researched and acquired the writings of Viktor Frankl.

Try him for some perspective on living and dying.
Do you have in mind anything other than Man's Search for Meaning? That books is mostly about how to find meaning in life, but doesn't really make use of the fact that our time is limited. I would consider reading other books by him since I did get a lot out of Meaning.

Old 01-20-2024, 08:13 AM

8,480 posts, read 6,880,671 times
It’s a waste of time worrying about death. Only the present moment matters. Wondering through the passage ways of life at some point the gatekeeper will block the way without any prior notice.

Old 01-24-2024, 02:28 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,355,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I don't believe in reincarnation or life after death. I might be interested in reading about these topics later, but right now I'm looking for ideas from thinkers who also accept that death is real and not survivable. I'm not concerned about grief or reconnecting with loved ones who had already gone, just a respectful treatment of what being a mortal being means.
What can anything be written about? Of course death is real and is not survival. That is the definition of death. There is nothing to read about it other than reading about what miserable experience someone may have went through up til close to the end. Why would you want such a book?

Old 01-25-2024, 11:52 AM

8,480 posts, read 6,880,671 times
Much of the discussion and angst over death is just a bunch of feel good word salad. You were born, life isn’t easy you die and disappear. Live in the present moment.

Old 01-28-2024, 05:59 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onenewman View Post
I don't know the Bible eh? How atheistic of you to ass-you-m. Here it is: Christ said: "I give them eternal life, and they will never perish".
You Godless people show up on Christian forums all the time so I thought I should pop into one of your meeting places. My post has nothing to do with "religion" and all to do with fear of death.

There are more than 5,000 names for God in recorded history, what reason is there to believe someone is "Godless" just because they don't happen to agree with your particular choice of God?

Old 01-28-2024, 07:03 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I don't believe in reincarnation or life after death. I might be interested in reading about these topics later, but right now I'm looking for ideas from thinkers who also accept that death is real and not survivable. I'm not concerned about grief or reconnecting with loved ones who had already gone, just a respectful treatment of what being a mortal being means.
If you believe, that "death is real" (kinda strange faith, as death IS real undoubtful fact of life, not requiring being believed into) - then what do you need books on it for? If the base of your concept of life is - I am done and over, then anything you learn on the subject was a waste. Just enjoy every moment of life, stay healthy to have decent aging and die in sleep.
What is that you are trying to accomplish?

Old 01-31-2024, 09:56 AM

5,464 posts, read 3,911,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
If you believe, that "death is real" (kinda strange faith, as death IS real undoubtful fact of life, not requiring being believed into) - then what do you need books on it for? If the base of your concept of life is - I am done and over, then anything you learn on the subject was a waste. Just enjoy every moment of life, stay healthy to have decent aging and die in sleep.
What is that you are trying to accomplish?
I just googled 'odds of dying in one's sleep', and although a precise estimate is difficult to find, the stats suggest that the odds are no greater than 25%, and probably quite a bit less than that. This of course assumes that one does not make a deliberate effort to die in one's sleep (via drug consumption).

So, nice plan that you outlined, but unlikely to come to fruition

Old 02-04-2024, 07:32 PM

19,967 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Ernst Becker's Denial of Death is a good philosophical treatise on death and humanity's obsession with ignoring or countering it with "immortality projects". It is all the more potent because Becker was dying as he wrote it.

Old 02-05-2024, 08:31 AM

7,324 posts, read 4,118,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
I just googled 'odds of dying in one's sleep', and although a precise estimate is difficult to find, the stats suggest that the odds are no greater than 25%, and probably quite a bit less than that. This of course assumes that one does not make a deliberate effort to die in one's sleep (via drug consumption).

So, nice plan that you outlined, but unlikely to come to fruition
I lost two people last week - both were husbands' on my friends.

One died of a sudden heart attack at his front door - never made it into the house.

The other died of a sudden heart attack while driving. By the time his wife managed to stop the car at the side of the road, he was dead.

Both deaths were traumatic for their wives. However, these are the first sudden deaths I've known. Most people have long drawn out hospital stays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy