Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2024, 09:17 AM

974 posts, read 517,163 times

Advertisements

I am finding it difficult to unravel this thread! And I'm not even sure of what the question is?

There is no such thing as "treeness". In fact, there is no such thing as a tree. It is simply a made up name that we agree to use so that we can sorta, kinda communicate. That tree is just like a poem. Stories are about something, while a poem (tree) just is. Anything else beyond that is simply a projection of a person. It isn't a tree to a squirrel or a bird, only to us, and "us" is probably just a cultural thing.

If you live in it, its your house. If you cut it down, its logs to heat your house, or its lumber to build that house. If you carve it, it's sculpture, or maybe a fishing lure or a pipe. But again, those are simply words that have nothing to do w/ a "tree". Is a seed that grows into a tree a tree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2024, 01:10 PM

15,952 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
I am finding it difficult to unravel this thread! And I'm not even sure of what the question is?

There is no such thing as "treeness". In fact, there is no such thing as a tree. It is simply a made up name that we agree to use so that we can sorta, kinda communicate. That tree is just like a poem. Stories are about something, while a poem (tree) just is. Anything else beyond that is simply a projection of a person. It isn't a tree to a squirrel or a bird, only to us, and "us" is probably just a cultural thing.

If you live in it, its your house. If you cut it down, its logs to heat your house, or its lumber to build that house. If you carve it, it's sculpture, or maybe a fishing lure or a pipe. But again, those are simply words that have nothing to do w/ a "tree". Is a seed that grows into a tree a tree?
Is the treeness in its branches? How about the bark, is that tree or not-tree? The tap root that is not even visible, is it tree? It is not one single thing but the whole of it is what we call the tree, and yet there is no single part of it that is the tree. That is the treeness of the tree. Tree is an object of perception, we recognize it, we piture it in our mind at mention of it, yet it does not exist.
Quote:
Is a seed that grows into a tree a tree?
Good question. I would say it has treeness in it.

Old 02-04-2024, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miticoman View Post
I noticed you often repeat the term locus, it means location (as you know the modern Italian language is the ancient Latin evolution the word loco is still in use) can I ask you why it gets importance on the general context? yes, it is true awareness is creative... but... common awareness was generated in the old Europe monasteries, an example is stating ( they say ) the absolute good is born ..got birth.. on December 25th, I could say the resulting awareness is an undemonstrable manipolation
While we recognize Tree, it is impossible to locate it in any of its parts that make it a tree.

Old 02-04-2024, 07:19 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
There is no paradox.
There is a tree.
End of philosophising. The rest is sucked out of little finger mental musings.

(humans, who philophise on such matters, have fallen into the sin of pride. Became "too headed". Particularly OP, who, being a Hindu, basically, should see a tree [or any existing object or event] and praise, with gratitude, The Existence for being, what it is).

Old 02-06-2024, 08:16 AM

8,660 posts, read 3,856,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
There is no paradox.
There is a tree.
I agree; the OP apparently wants to nonsensically ramble about trees. :-) That said, the ‘philosopher’s tree’ represented the alchemical process and also symbolized mental growth and enlightenment through such as being representative of life.

Old 02-06-2024, 10:11 AM

8,480 posts, read 6,880,671 times
The body is the tree of enlightenment
The mind like a clear mirror
Time and again wipe it clear
Don’t let it gather dust

Shenxiu.

Old 02-06-2024, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Don’t let it gather dust
This references the (sacred) Bodhi Tree (according to Dharmic religions), yes? Are you (or the OP) a Buddhist?

Old 02-07-2024, 08:18 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
The Op is not Buddhist. She claims to follow Advaita.
Back in my culture, there is a classic play, called Grief from Wisdom. About a guy, who was too smart for his circle of mediocracies.
OP is similar case. Too headed and complicating things unnecessarily.
There is a tree. A rock. An animal. A human. A star. A universe.
That's it. No paradox.

Old 02-07-2024, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Don’t let it gather dust
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
This references the (sacred) Bodhi Tree (according to Dharmic religions), yes? Are you (or the OP) a Buddhist?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
The Op is not Buddhist. She claims to follow Advaita.
Okay, Buddhism and Hinduism are both dharmic religions that speak to the Bodhi Tree i.e. a variation of the fig tree. Philosophically, trees are not sacred.

Old 02-08-2024, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
OP is not a Buddhist, practices Advaita Vedanta, philosophy of non-dualism.
Bodha in Sanskrit means knowledge, a common word in all languages derived from Sanskrit. In reference to Buddha, spiritual knowledge specifically. The tree under which Buddha is said to have attained enlightenment, is Bodhi, the one that gave wisdom, elightenment. Knowledge is sacred, and thus the particular fig tree became sacred. The sacredness of trees is in what is unmanifest, the subject, not the object.
Although a nice twist, the Bodhi tree has nothing to do with the locus of Treeness of the OP.

Last edited by cb2008; 02-08-2024 at 07:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy