Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How did the world begin?
The Biblical story is best 8 25.81%
The Norse story (one of two) is the best 2 6.45%
The "Big Bang" Is the Best 13 41.94%
Do you have any other favorite creation story (please post) 4 12.90%
Post your opinions (even if you answer one of the provided options) 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2023, 03:31 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
Robert Graves provided the Pelasgian creation myth in his classic The Greek Myths. It answers the age old question of which came first, the chicken or the egg. In his version, Eurynome danced until Ophion appeared and as a result of their union, the Universal Egg was laid out of which all things which exist came. Thus, the egg came first.
Obviously. And it's just as obvious that eggs should be broken on the Big End when eaten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2023, 03:38 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times
Personally I voted for the Genesis story. And I want to point out that, since 1950, the Roman Catholic Church (of which I am a member) has accepted that the Big Bang Theory is not in conflict with Genesis. Many mainline Protestant denominations also accept the Big Bang.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religi...ig_Bang_theory

Science and religion don't always have to clash.

Old 03-18-2023, 10:21 PM

629 posts, read 287,802 times
I think that traditional creation stories are most rewarding and satisfying when they are read as a reflection of collective human psychologies that produced them, not as a realistic sleuthing for the literal origins of the universe or world. They’re a kind of collective primary process fantasy that speaks to our internal (and eternal) conflicts as human beings. Many creation myths are extremely violent, wherein the world is laid down with the stuff of some slayed and dismembered parental god; I’ve always found that intriguing and fascinating on many levels. Human birth is violent, familial jealousies are violent, tribal wars are very, very violent and mythic in their intensity and raw gore. Wars see an extreme of human cruelty and bloodlust that is unparalleled in other species (with the possible exception of the great apes). Creation myths, told around campfires, incorporate those primal passions, naturally.

The Biblical creation story stands as a Bronze Age anomaly in its orderly and nonviolent conduct. I had a professor whose opinion it was that it was born as a counter-narrative to the Babylonian creation myth. The Jews held captive in Babylonia inverted and countered their captors’ mainstream narratives into their opposites. I believe that is why Eve ended up getting such s bad rap. Apparently, the Babylonian counterpart, named Hawwa (if I’m remembering correctly) was wise and good.

Old 03-19-2023, 11:34 AM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaea View Post
I think that traditional creation stories are most rewarding and satisfying when they are read as a reflection of collective human psychologies that produced them, not as a realistic sleuthing for the literal origins of the universe or world.
Big Bank in effect "throws up its hands" as to the origin, pre-Bang, of the Universe.

Quote:
They’re a kind of collective primary process fantasy that speaks to our internal (and eternal) conflicts as human beings. Many creation myths are extremely violent, wherein the world is laid down with the stuff of some slayed and dismembered parental god; I’ve always found that intriguing and fascinating on many levels. Human birth is violent, familial jealousies are violent, tribal wars are very, very violent and mythic in their intensity and raw gore. Wars see an extreme of human cruelty and bloodlust that is unparalleled in other species (with the possible exception of the great apes). Creation myths, told around campfires, incorporate those primal passions, naturally.
Bib Bang is violent as well.

Quote:
The Biblical creation story stands as a Bronze Age anomaly in its orderly and nonviolent conduct. I had a professor whose opinion it was that it was born as a counter-narrative to the Babylonian creation myth. The Jews held captive in Babylonia inverted and countered their captors’ mainstream narratives into their opposites. I believe that is why Eve ended up getting such s bad rap. Apparently, the Babylonian counterpart, named Hawwa (if I’m remembering correctly) was wise and good.
I would call parts of the story "violent", i.e. Cain + Abel, and the story of the Flood, albeit probably derived from Gilgamesh.

Old 03-20-2023, 01:01 PM

11,070 posts, read 7,139,669 times
I don't see why we can't just leave this loose and unsettled. There's much that we can't know and never will never know.

We can have hunches and possible assumptions as the best available currently, and just continue to be observant for more information for fine-tuning. Every day has unknowns, even leaving your home. Don't just stop because you don't have a crystal ball.

Life is much like art. Don't treat it like science, or you'll just be disappointed.

Old 03-20-2023, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I don't see why we can't just leave this loose and unsettled. There's much that we can't know and never will never know.

We can have hunches and possible assumptions as the best available currently, and just continue to be observant for more information for fine-tuning. Every day has unknowns, even leaving your home. Don't just stop because you don't have a crystal ball.

Life is much like art. Don't treat it like science, or you'll just be disappointed.
That is certainly a useful approach that has a lot to recommend it. My whole point is that Big Bang may well be more accurate than the Biblical stories, Gilgamesh, the Norse Stories etc. but ultimately not that much more informative.

Old 03-20-2023, 07:15 PM

629 posts, read 287,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
My whole point is that Big Bang may well be more accurate than the Biblical stories, Gilgamesh, the Norse Stories etc. but ultimately not that much more informative.
Quantum physics and astrophysics get so weird that they often read like myths. Physicists assure us that they’re more scientifically accurate, based as they are in mathematical equations, but even the math gets weird and open-ended as we approach stuff like the fractions of the nanosecond before the Big Bang. So I’m not convinced that the Big Bang is not another iteration in an ultimately irrational and unprovable creation myth, adapted to a post-religious worldview.

Old 03-21-2023, 03:07 AM

7,246 posts, read 5,117,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Sometimes it’s better to just exist in our own little slice of the universe. Trying to solve mysteries beyond our intellectual capacity leads to a dead end of frustration and unanswered questions. Be at peace where you are.
Thank you....I can see you now- siting in the lotus position on you hillside in front of your cave with a contented smirk on your face, at peace with The Universe. Good stuff.

I took Latin in ha skoow for four years from an old spinster teacher. Every Friday was supposed to be Roman Culture Day and every Friday for four years she sarted the class by recitng the beginning of Ovid's Metamorphosis-- "In the beginning all was chaos-- A vast seething confusion....and oh, by the way" and like Casey Stengel (or Kamela Harris) doing an extended interview, she would ramble on, one disjointed thought leading to another and we never got any further with Ovid...Does anybody know how it turns out?

Ms

The Big Bang Theory is based on Hubble's observations that the farther away a galaxy is from us, the faster it seems to be traveling...This is what you'd expect from, say the shrapnel from an exploding grenade-- it all started in one place and upon exploding, the fast moving stuff goes the farthest...

That theory gained a good deal of traction because it fit not only the data, but also the religious narrative...

...The probem is, newer evidence suggests some of the farther away stuff isn't traveling as fast.

In regards "what's an expanding universe expanding into?"-- it isn't. Space & time itself is also expanding. Our psychology of perception & our intuition just doesn't allow us to come to grips with that.

In regards THE Beginning-- most likely there wasn't one. Most likley that, if we were to retrace time, we would merely approach a Time Zero asymptotically without ever being able to reach that zero point.

Tradtional stories all have the gods in one way or another creating the Universe...If so, then where did the gods come from?...Adding the gods into the story just adds one more layer of complexity-- not a good thing when it comes to science. K.I.S.S. is the most elegant form for theories in science.

msgsing has it right...Some things we'll just never know. Best to not even think about...The only more certain way to drive yourself crazy is to think about breathing.

Last edited by guidoLaMoto; 03-21-2023 at 03:16 AM..

Old 03-21-2023, 07:39 AM

Default Time has no beginning and history has no bounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
The Big Bang Theory is based on Hubble's observations that the farther away a galaxy is from us, the faster it seems to be traveling...This is what you'd expect from, say the shrapnel from an exploding grenade-- it all started in one place and upon exploding, the fast moving stuff goes the farthest...

That theory gained a good deal of traction because it fit not only the data, but also the religious narrative...

...The probem is, newer evidence suggests some of the farther away stuff isn't traveling as fast.

In regards "what's an expanding universe expanding into?"-- it isn't. Space & time itself is also expanding. Our psychology of perception & our intuition just doesn't allow us to come to grips with that.

In regards THE Beginning-- most likely there wasn't one. Most likley that, if we were to retrace time, we would merely approach a Time Zero asymptotically without ever being able to reach that zero point.

Tradtional stories all have the gods in one way or another creating the Universe...If so, then where did the gods come from?...Adding the gods into the story just adds one more layer of complexity-- not a good thing when it comes to science. K.I.S.S. is the most elegant form for theories in science.

msgsing has it right...Some things we'll just never know. Best to not even think about...The only more certain way to drive yourself crazy is to think about breathing.
Gordon Lightfoot probably sums it up best, in his landmark song, Canadian Railroad Trilogy, "time has no beginning and history has no bounds." No link because that's from memory. Have a listen below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXzauTuRG78

Old 03-23-2023, 06:31 PM

1,063 posts, read 906,196 times
"Where did this all begin?"
here.
right here.

"So, are areas lying outside the "universe" also part of the "universe"?"
no.
just a multiverse slice.

"Is the "universe" universal?"
not yet.
have to wait
for Universal Studios
to "green light" production.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy