Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2024, 05:42 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,736,000 times

Advertisements

For high energy dogs I recommend taking them on a ride on leash next to a bicycle. Our 22 lbs mini poodle has a 1/3 of an acre fenced yard but he needs more exercise.

We go for a mile-long walk and I get tired - 77 year old geezer here. Then we go for a 2-3 mile ride and he isn't tired yet, but it is better than sitting at home.

Little Randy learned the routine in 5 minutes. The best way to prevent accidents like the dog jumping in front of the bike is using a short elastic leash and tie the leash to the rear end of the bike. This way he can fall behind a bit but he can't get ahead of the front tire.

With his short legs we can't ride faster than 9-10 mph at the most, but if I had a much larger dog we could do 15-18 mph on the E-bike. We live in a small town with not much traffic and low speed limits.

For protection we carry bear spray, a large heavy stick or a knife, usually only two items. We were nearly attacked by 3 loose Great Danes, but we held our own and no harm was done. Fortunately we don't have any pits in our close neighborhood.

Last edited by mgforshort; 01-03-2024 at 07:11 PM..

Old 01-03-2024, 07:36 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
A friend lived in a rural area and one of her neighbors started hosting a Saturday horse event. People would bring their horses and dogs, and turn the dogs loose to roam while they did whatever they did in the arena

She pleaded with her neighbors to keep the dogs tied up as they were roaming around her property, digging in her garden, killing her cats, etc.

Her neighbor's response was to chill out, dogs roam around in the country, that's just the way it was.

So she made up one of those deer repellant concoctions that involved eggs and milk and I don't know what else, sitting in the sun for several days.

When Saturday came around, she loaded up her super soaker water gun and sprayed every dog she could get close enough to. Those dogs stunk to high heaven.

It didn't take too many more Saturdays. until people kept their dogs tied up.

Old 01-03-2024, 07:43 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
She pleaded with her neighbors to keep the dogs tied up as they were roaming around her property, digging in her garden, killing her cats, etc.
Not that I'm condoning the dogs' behavior, but that's another good reason to keep cats indoors.

Old 01-03-2024, 08:23 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Not that I'm condoning the dogs' behavior, but that's another good reason to keep cats indoors.
These were barn cats. She lived on twenty some acres, and had several cats that lived in her barn.

Her cats on her property.

Old 01-03-2024, 09:03 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Anyone have a bunch of coyotes near them?

Old 01-03-2024, 09:20 PM

15,403 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
A friend lived in a rural area and one of her neighbors started hosting a Saturday horse event. People would bring their horses and dogs, and turn the dogs loose to roam while they did whatever they did in the arena

Her neighbor's response was to chill out, dogs roam around in the country, that's just the way it was.

So she made up one of those deer repellant concoctions that involved eggs and milk and I don't know what else, sitting in the sun for several days.

When Saturday came around, she loaded up her super soaker water gun and sprayed every dog she could get close enough to. Those dogs stunk to high heaven.

It didn't take too many more Saturdays. until people kept their dogs tied up.
I would be telling the neighbor that dogs also die roaming the country, with coyotes, feral hogs, snakes, etc out there.

Old 01-03-2024, 09:22 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,650,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
My town: Dogs must be leashed or under verbal command..........

I'm working on getting our dog to come back on command if off leash. The catch is, I need to let her off the leash to work on her training. An off-leash dog park won't work right now as she gets too excited by the other dogs and people.

The backyard doesn't cut it anymore. She needs a large fenced area without any distractions. These tend to be schools and some regular parks. I'll hit these early in the morning or when the weather is bad so nobody else is around. But, technically I am breaking the leash law as these places require dogs to be on a leash.

Old 01-03-2024, 09:44 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
No; the wolves keep them away.

Old 01-03-2024, 09:56 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Yup. Not a lot of loose dogs in my area.

Old 01-04-2024, 12:46 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:

Yep, they live in our canyon in San Diego East County. In North Idaho it depends on whether the wolf pack in the Coeur d'Alene Mountains is active...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets