Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2023, 12:40 PM

351 posts, read 270,987 times

Advertisements

Which is the best small size dog breed for a family? A small dog that is independent (no seperation anxiety) and not velcro clingy dogs. Short haired or not too much shedding and easy to train for inexperienced dog owner that are good with kids. A dog with a good temperament, passive easy going, sleeps through the night and not too barky. A few I had in mind are toy poodle, cockapoo, cavachon, havanese, maltipoo. Any others? Which is the best? Which would you pick?

Last edited by possibleyou; 10-08-2023 at 12:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2023, 12:59 PM

193 posts, read 407,896 times
We had a West Highland White Terrier for 17 years. Great Family dog. He was about 20 pounds which is big for the breed. MOm was 13 pounds dad was 15

Old 10-08-2023, 03:06 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Depends a lot on the family; age, interests, and daily schedules and what interest they have in a dog. If family members spend the majority of their days at work, at school, and doing recreational activities the dog can't be part of the rest of the time or traveling, most dogs won't really enjoy that. Sort of begs the question why the family wants one. If family members tend to spend more discretionary time centered closer to home and they include the dog in their activities, a very different story. People who claim they want an "independent" dog that doesn't require much from its human family again it sort of begs the question why bother?

A lot of the traits you say you want are going to be specific to individual dogs, not their breed. Sleeping through the night? No separation anxiety? Those things are more a matter of upbringing, training, and treatment, not breed.

I really don't think there is an ideal across the board small breed for all families. Too many variables. Some small breeds are just as active (needing exercise and social/mental stimulation) as large ones. As for barky, small breeds still want to exhibit their presence to visitors/intruders. What they don't have in size they make up for in voice. Lots of smaller dogs are known to be yappy. Don't forget grooming...some small breeds require a lot more grooming than others. Who's going to do it? The local weather may play into it too. Easily groomed wash & wear coats may do better in wetter conditions. A smaller sized Heinz 57 from the local shelter could be just the ticket.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-08-2023 at 04:28 PM..

Old 10-08-2023, 04:11 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by possibleyou View Post
Which is the best small size dog breed for a family? A small dog that is independent (no seperation anxiety) and not velcro clingy dogs. Short haired or not too much shedding and easy to train for inexperienced dog owner that are good with kids. A dog with a good temperament, passive easy going, sleeps through the night and not too barky. A few I had in mind are toy poodle, cockapoo, cavachon, havanese, maltipoo. Any others? Which is the best? Which would you pick?
None; these small breeds aren't really suited to inexperienced owners with kids. Keep in mind that just because these dogs are small, that doesn't mean they're childrens' toys. Toy breeds are pretty fragile; their bones break easily — not really good for playing with kids.

Old 10-08-2023, 05:08 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
You don't say how old your kids are; if they're older than say, 4, and are kind, a medium small dog is fine.

Miniature schnauzers and Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and mixes of those should probably be on your list too. Spend a little time with the dog or puppy - and if you're choosing a puppy, insist on seeing and interacting with both parents.

Old 10-08-2023, 05:16 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Your best bet is to adopt a foster dog. The foster family will know the characteristics of the dog, so it’s not a crap shoot, like with a puppy.

We adopted a pure bred 22# dachshund and he has been perfect for us.

Old 10-08-2023, 05:21 PM

351 posts, read 270,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
None; these small breeds aren't really suited to inexperienced owners with kids. Keep in mind that just because these dogs are small, that doesn't mean they're childrens' toys. Toy breeds are pretty fragile; their bones break easily — not really good for playing with kids.
When I read this response, I couldn't help but laugh, such a debbie downer! When I mentioned inexperienced I mostly meant easy to train. I understand that all dogs are different but some dog breeds truly enjoy the company of children and are more so children friendly think goldens/labs etc. Of course you always have to supervise children around any pets but it's nice to know if a specific breed will gravitate towards a child in a friendly manner. Awhile back I fostered a rescue dog for quite some time. He was a small mix 17 pounds super loving, friendly, great with everyone. I still get emotional when I think of him as I feel like no dog could ever live up to him. I often compare him to other dogs I met at meet and greets. Once you had the best its hard to have any of the rest. It is also so difficult because although he was never truly mine I still really grieve the loss of him becauae I took care of him for months. He was really smart, loving, and respectful. The rescue that I fostered him from would not give me any details of his new home that adopted him and I feel like he was ripped away from me as I did not know this experience would impact me so profoundly and losing him just been an emotional nightmare. He was truly one of a kind and I feel like it is going to be so rare to ever get another dog just like him. I miss him so much.

Old 10-08-2023, 05:57 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
I understand that all dogs are different but some dog breeds truly enjoy the company of children and are more so children friendly think goldens/labs etc.

Those are exactly the breeds I was thinking of. But I've seen too many toy breeds given up to shelters because of problems with children.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 10-08-2023 at 06:21 PM..

Old 10-08-2023, 06:50 PM

7,067 posts, read 4,510,340 times
Most rescues won’t adopt a small dog to a family if any of the kids are under 9. Little dogs get hurt easily and it turns them into biters. Plus they are often yappy, clingy and need lots of attention like real kids). Medium sized dogs are much better with kids and not as needy. I used to volunteer on dog rescue.

Old 10-08-2023, 07:40 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Miniature Poodle - smart, easy to train, funny. Famously hypoallergenic.

I'd stay away from the designer dog poodle mixes and go for the real thing. A poodle. Not a toy, not a standard, but a miniature poodle. Toys are very tiny and a little nervous. I grew up with 2 Apricot, a black and a white mini. Great dogs!

Another dog to look at is the wire hair Dachshund. More mellow than the flat coat. Playful and intelligent. Very affectionate. Kids love doxies, and doxies love them back. Especially the wire hair variety. They never tire of playing, especially catch. Very affectionate.

The Schnauzer, (mini) is a nice family pet. No shedding. Loyal, friendly, playful and athletic, I am not sure why this breed is not found in more homes. My husband and his asthmatic brother grew up with mini-Schnauzers.

Look into these breeds. I think you are on the right track in looking for a smaller breed. The three breeds that I mentioned are perfect for inexperienced dog owners. All three are positively adorable!

Last edited by sheena12; 10-08-2023 at 08:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets