Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 12:49 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,556,030 times

Advertisements

Ok, since I did a thread on advice and suggestions on quality dog breeders (Advice for people searching quality Breeders) It's time for one on Quality Rescues and shelters.

Now, one must wonder how do you find a good rescue organization for pets? What characteristics put up red flags? What characteristics show they are a quality rescue?

I know for me, when they require an interview, home check, and ask for introductions to the other pet members of the family, I know I'm on the right track because they are really trying to make sure every effort is made to make the right match and protect both owners and pets. I remember when I was working for a huge Pet Adoption event, we had several different organizations there with animals available for adoption. Suprisingly, some of the organizations were hostile and did not want any other rescue organization interacting with them. One turned away good potential adopters because of irrational reasons. Another organization had dogs there for adoption but would not allow them to be adopted the same day. Others did not do home checks.

So, what things does an adopted keep an eye for in a good quality rescue organization? Thanks!

Last edited by deegers; 02-18-2008 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: taking out unneccessary questions and editing info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 01:14 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,264,452 times
One that checks with the vet's office to make sure all current animals are routinely vetted and appear in good health...one that has a direct point of contact for transition issues at any time during the adoption and post adoption process, someone who is dog savvy and has been with the org or in the pet rescue world longer than 3 weeks! A good org will return your emails in a prompt manner - ask for updates about the animal even if everything is going great...I actually like the ones best that ask for regular updates for the first year to be part of the contract. The most important thing is that a rescue take a sincere interest in the dog and agree to stand behind the dog for the rest of its life even if the adoption doesn't work out - sometimes circumstances happen that we don't foresee, and I'd want to see a rescue agree to take back the dog they pulled if that happened rather than seeing that animal go to a shelter.

Are one or two people pulling the load? How much group participation is there? It seems most rescues now have a Yahoo group or something where the members talk and correspond - I'd see if there is a lot of interaction and good will among the group (I've seen a few where all they did was fight a lot!). And foster homes - homes that really work with the animals and don't just warehouse them. I think you just stand a higher chance of a successful placement if the dog comes out of a home rather than a kennel environment.

I'm sure I'll think of more but this is what came to mind right away!

Old 02-13-2008, 05:26 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,524,248 times
So many good points tossed out already.
The contract should have spay/neuter clause also.
1 thing that throws a red flag up that happened to me once was talked to this so called rescue person part of a organization and never said a word about any fee's on Petfinder or over phone or email. So day before to pick up the dog called and asked what all needed to bring leash, collar and $350.00 cash! So next day called another that was affiliated with this rescue and was told highest charge is $250.00 and that was for neuter/spay, shots, heartworm checks. So if can always get referrals and talk to more than 1 in the rescue with a different number, even change name and phones so not sure who you are and if been warned ahead of time would be calling.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:39 PM

Smack my head! Yes, spay/neuter is NOT NEGOTIABLE with a good rescue. The only time it should be considered is if you are adopting a dog that is sick or old into a home, and then with the strictest of conditions on where the dog will be and how it will be contained to prevent possible romance, or how soon after the recovery from illness the animal will be spayed/neutered. To be honest, most reputable rescues will not even release a dog from their care to be adopted until this is done, and rightfully so...people can tell you anything and not carry through on it.

One thing that is becoming quite popular that I really like is the rescue having the animal microchipped and having a dual listing with the new owner's name and the rescues info on the chip registration...that way someone can always be found if the owner and pet become separated. That, or tattooing of the ear really protects everyone to a large degree. Not failproof, but what is?

Old 02-13-2008, 07:15 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
Ok, since I did a thread on advice and suggestions on quality dog breeders (Advice for people searching for Quality Breeders) It's time for one on Quality Rescues and shelters.

Now, one must wonder how do you find a good rescue organization for pets? What characteristics put up red flags? What characteristics show they are a quality rescue?

I know for me, when they require an interview, home check, and ask for introductions to the other pet members of the family, I know I'm on the right track because they are really trying to make sure every effort is made to make the right match and protect both owners and pets. I remember when I was working for a huge Pet Adoption event, we had several different organizations there with animals available for adoption. Suprisingly, some of the organizations were hostile and did not want any other rescue organization interacting with them. One turned away good potential adopters because of irrational reasons. Another organization had dogs there for adoption but would not allow them to be adopted the same day. Others did not do home checks.

So, what things does an adopted keep an eye for in a good quality rescue organization? Thanks!
The rescue I used to acquire our pet was very good.

First, it outlined on the Petfinders site, the general history of the pet, temperament, prior living conditions, reason for owner surrender, whether he was crate trained/housebroken, temperament and suitability for cohabitation with other pets. He was medically screened and shots were up to date. Prior to transport, he was to be microchipped.

First, there is a standard screening form which included the following:
1) Why a rescue?
2) What would you do if there is a negative behavior?
3) How would you discipline your pet?
4) What experience do you have with pets? Do you currently have any pets?
5) Requirement for pre-existing pets in your home to be spayed/neutered.
6) List of references.
7) Description of Home
8) Querying who lives in the house and how old are the children.

I was then referred to the Foster Mother to ask any questions.

Then there was a home visit which was for my benefit. The presumption was that AFTER the visit and some consideration by the organization, I would get the pet. I was advised to get the pet supplies prior to the visit (which was a good sign).

I did end up waiting a few weeks until he was transported to where we lived since he was a few hundred miles away. He came with all of the necessary documentation, including some toys, food, and other minor supplies. Even the contract is specific, regarding protecting the pet's rights (not to give him up to a shelter, to contact the rescue if we cannot care for him or if he is missing or dies, basic care, not to give him to another person or as a gift, not to use for medical experimentation, etc).

In summary, the organization thoroughly assessed the pet and our household to ensure a proper and suitable 'fit'. That is something that a Pet Store will not do. It is more in line with my experience screening breeders. In the end, I felt very comfortable with my decision to do the Rescue route.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:43 PM

Rescue I was involved with also has this in written contract..

If I give this animal to any person,place,shelter,rescue without written permission by __________ ,I will withstand a $500.00 fine.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:04 PM

Lots of really good stuff in here. Some things I didn't even realize organizations do. PetFinder.com is a great way to locate good rescues as well. Usually they can link up to the organization's website as well.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
Rescue I was involved with also has this in written contract..

If I give this animal to any person,place,shelter,rescue without written permission by __________ ,I will withstand a $500.00 fine.
See, I just think that's a little extreme...because it is unenforceable. What rescue has the legal backing and funds to pursue something like that? They don't - sometimes this happens and the rescue finds out and puts your name on a big old Do Not Adopt list so that it won't happen again. That's why the rescue is there with their paperwork in the first place, to make sure the adopter is going to provide a good home, but also as a safety net for the chance that the dog doesn't work out by agreeing to take the dog back no matter what. It's also another reason why they are chipping pets - so that if an adoption doesn't work out the animal doesn't get dumped off at the first shelter and the inevitable happens. My idea is - say what you mean, mean what you say - don't lay something out there as wide open as that statement unless you will actually pursue it. Besides, every potential adopter that comes along will assure you they would never give up their rescued pet. Guess what? Ain't necessarily so...

Old 02-14-2008, 04:10 PM

Thy got it where pets adopted supposed to come back to them,this more a scare tactic in my eyes and like you said will they enforce it?
I know she did the background checks thoroughly though helps being a police officer.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:13 PM

I have a question for all of you,

If you see a dog you really like in the Petfinder.com but it's in another state. What are some of the policies for rescues and shelters regarding out of state adoptions? Do they allow them or do they strictly only adopt out locally?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets