Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:22 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,159,017 times

Advertisements

I've been reading up on taxation of MLP investments, and the following is from an Investopedia article:

"A downside of holding MLPs is that many of them invest in pipelines that run through several states. You may have to pay state income taxes, but some states offer exemptions."

How do I find out whether a certain MLP would result in paying state income taxes? I don't want a small investment in an MLP to result in a big headache come tax time.

Is anyone out there familiar with/experienced in MLP investing & taxation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM

4,893 posts, read 4,839,146 times
I owned MLPs for a number of years and only had to pay state income taxes to the state in which I live. I don't know what that article is referencing, especially since I suspect most pipelines run through more than one state.

Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM

5,502 posts, read 6,351,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
I've been reading up on taxation of MLP investments, and the following is from an Investopedia article:

"A downside of holding MLPs is that many of them invest in pipelines that run through several states. You may have to pay state income taxes, but some states offer exemptions."

How do I find out whether a certain MLP would result in paying state income taxes? I don't want a small investment in an MLP to result in a big headache come tax time.

Is anyone out there familiar with/experienced in MLP investing & taxation?
I am not an expert, and I avoid MLP's, but I do understand that MLP's come with a K1 tax form that many investors consider a headache. If you're interested in investing in pipelines, there are several ways to invest through C-Corp companies like OKE or WMB and avoid the hassle.

Which MLP are you referring to?

Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM

Thanks. I think I'll do a bit more research before I jump into any of these.

Oh, and apologies if I should've posted this in the Investing forum.

ETA: I'm looking into Enterprise Products Partners L.P. (EPD)

Old Yesterday, 10:17 AM

34,151 posts, read 83,198,060 times
Quote:
How do I find out whether a certain MLP would result in paying state income taxes?
You would have to ask them or read their data. Or pay someone to. Or find a Karen.

The LP holding 'problems' are when the investor doesn't live in the same state as the investment.
Similar 'problems' come up with tax exempt Municipal Bonds held outside their state.
Quote:
I don't want a small investment in an MLP to result in a big headache come tax time.
Then stick with the index funds.

btw, Whether you should be in ANY petroleum deal raises a whole other set of Q's.

Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM

6,637 posts, read 7,378,834 times
Have had them for years. Only paid state income tax in the state I lived in.
However they can be a pain in an IRA and the federal gov may actually tax you on part of their earnings.

Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM

6,792 posts, read 5,103,688 times
As I recall, the matter of having to file tax returns in multiple states would only become an issue for a very large investment.

Even without that concern, however, they are a bit of a tax headache IMO. I owned an MLP decades ago, and vowed to never go down that road again.

Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM

5,502 posts, read 6,351,802 times
Quote:
Thanks. I think I'll do a bit more research before I jump into any of these.

Oh, and apologies if I should've posted this in the Investing forum.

ETA: I'm looking into Enterprise Products Partners L.P. (EPD)
EPD is a popular MLP investment, but be sure to compare to the others I mentioned. The standard C-Corp pipeline plays like OKE and WMB (and others) avoid all of the headaches.

Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM

It's the favorable tax treatment of MLP distributions (as capital gains vs ordinary income) that has me interested in learning more about them. I agree they aren't appropriate for an IRA.

Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM

6,792 posts, read 5,103,688 times
Quote:
It's the favorable tax treatment of MLP distributions (as capital gains vs ordinary income) that has me interested in learning more about them.
Dividend payments from C corporations are, generally speaking, classified as qualified dividends. These are taxed at the same rate as long-term capital gains. There's a minimum holding period, but it's not excessive...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualified_dividend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance