Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 04:49 PM

31,976 posts, read 27,118,311 times

Advertisements

PayPal is on a binge pushing people to choose a "preferred" CC to speed checkout and otherwise make things faster by automating online payments. All very well, but once you've selected a CC it cannot be undone. You can only choose another CC. If there is only one CC linked to an account that's it then, PayPal's systems will insist that you *CHOOSE* an option, and if there's only one that becomes it for future unless account is closed.

While it sounds like a convenience, automatically routing all online payments to any CC opens up all sorts of unforeseen issues. If your card is charged incorrectly, fraud, criminal activity only remedy then is to go through PayPal's systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2024, 07:39 PM

2,520 posts, read 2,731,649 times
I’ve had a credit card linked to PayPal forever. I have never had a problem. I don’t get the issue.

Old 05-08-2024, 08:03 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,347,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I’ve had a credit card linked to PayPal forever. I have never had a problem. I don’t get the issue.
The only issue is if they want you to use a PayPal credit card.

Old 05-08-2024, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
The only issue is if they want you to use a PayPal credit card.
I still don’t understand the issue. I have had a card associated with the account for years. I have never had them push me to a PayPal card.

Old 05-08-2024, 10:25 PM

31,976 posts, read 27,118,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
We've all had CCs linked to a PP account for ages. Thing is now PP is moving to designate one card as "preferred", which means charges just go through pretty much automatically.

Old Yesterday, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
We've all had CCs linked to a PP account for ages. Thing is now PP is moving to designate one card as "preferred", which means charges just go through pretty much automatically.
Still the same for me as it was before. Unless you are juggling cards for some reason, I see no issue. Mine is linked to a 2% rebate card which is fine.
Almost all the online services have a priority card. I don’t understand the OP statement of “don’t do it” you still can dispute or report fraud directly to your card issuer.

Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM

32,685 posts, read 48,217,712 times
Wait. How do you use PayPal if you do not use a credit card? Are not all PayPal accounts linked to a credit card?

I get ads offering a PayPal credit card, but no pressure to sign up.

Old Yesterday, 09:04 AM

7,529 posts, read 13,667,681 times
Years ago when I first used PayPal, PP was only linked to a CC. After awhile PP "preferred" that I link to a bank account. So thats where it has debited (and credited ) transactions for years now just fine.. The card is still listed but the bank is "preferred"

I also just added a 2nd bank account as the "preferred" account.

And fwiw, the card ## listed is now invalid due to a hack 2 years ago.

And I've heard nothing from PP re going back to CC as preferred

Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Wait. How do you use PayPal if you do not use a credit card? Are not all PayPal accounts linked to a credit card?

I get ads offering a PayPal credit card, but no pressure to sign up.
Direct debit.

Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM

4,249 posts, read 6,929,077 times
I'm unsure what the issue is here. You can change your 'preferred' linked CC with paypal at any time. Any pending transactions on that card will complete of course, but anything after the change won't route through that card. Same for removing that card. I just went and double-checked that they hadn't changed anything. I was able to remove my preferred credit card and re-add it with no issue.

Linking to my CC is much preferred over the other option of linking to my checking account.

The 'preferred' credit card has been a standard for PayPal for many years, so maybe I'm just not understanding the issue. If you personally prefer a checking account to be linked, I believe you can still make that change as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance