Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 04:23 PM

107,117 posts, read 109,467,196 times

Advertisements

10k medical is really very small in the scheme of things. wages can easily be over done as most who are suing are instructed to stay out of work a certain amount of days. so the basis of the case wouldn’t stand on those two much .

but if he did get a speeding violation that is a plus , but how did the cops arrive at the fact he was going 15 over if they weren’t there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2024, 05:44 PM

14,456 posts, read 14,406,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I am represented by an attorney. he has not given me any estimate. lost wages are at 20K medical is at 10K Concussion is nothing to joke about it can be disabling. My car was a total loss.

The kid hit my car at 40mph 15 mph over the speed limit. State Patrol cited him for excessive speed. I am thinking 100k
Thank you for answering my question. You shouldn't focus on a figure like that. No one can really give you an accurate estimate without (1) having experience in the field as an attorney or a claims adjuster; and (2) without carefully reviewing your medical records, medical bills, the accident report, and any other supporting documentation you have.

I've met a number of people who think there is some magic formula in cases like this. That formula doesn't exist. If it did, there would be far fewer injury attorneys.

Old 05-14-2024, 06:40 PM

6,124 posts, read 3,833,995 times
I would think that "pain and suffering" and "loss of full use" would be a MUCH bigger part of most large awards than actual monetary damages such as lost wages or medical costs.

How do you put a price on the suffering that a person who receives severe injury goes through?

How do you put a price on possible lingering pain and/or loss of full use of an arm, leg or hand that may be permanent?

How much is it worth to someone in dollars if they are left with a noticeable limp or "gimpy" arm for the rest of their life?

These are questions that have no well-defined answer. The answer in court will depend on the competency of the legal team that you have representing you.

No, I'm not a lawyer and don't play one on the internet. I'm just someone who is expressing ideas that would seem to have the most impact on me if I were on the jury which was deciding damages in a case.

Old 05-14-2024, 07:36 PM

7,798 posts, read 3,387,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I would think that "pain and suffering" and "loss of full use" would be a MUCH bigger part of most large awards than actual monetary damages such as lost wages or medical costs.

How do you put a price on the suffering that a person who receives severe injury goes through?

How do you put a price on possible lingering pain and/or loss of full use of an arm, leg or hand that may be permanent?

How much is it worth to someone in dollars if they are left with a noticeable limp or "gimpy" arm for the rest of their life?

These are questions that have no well-defined answer. The answer in court will depend on the competency of the legal team that you have representing you.

No, I'm not a lawyer and don't play one on the internet. I'm just someone who is expressing ideas that would seem to have the most impact on me if I were on the jury which was deciding damages in a case.

That is a logical thought pattern. But, it does not work that way and insurance companies will not pay $1 they do think they have to. This means you need a good attorney and mediator, etc.

Old 05-15-2024, 08:26 AM

20,846 posts, read 17,168,038 times
I am able to document the hours I work prior and post crash. Pain and suffering is significant for me as I have never had a concussion. Depression, loss of interest in things, headaches and fear of driving again all factor in. The residual we are trying to clear up cognitively with trained thereapist. At the time of the crash I was completely unaware of the effects which would follow.

I goal is to be made whole. To purchase the same vehicle now would cost quite a bit more due to increase in interest rates.

final answer, in terms of the 15 over the limit I guess the Trooper knows cars. His vehicle was devastated, all air bags intrusion of at least a foot they had to pry the kid out of the car. He hit fast and hard.

Old 05-15-2024, 09:38 AM

6,124 posts, read 3,833,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
That is a logical thought pattern. But, it does not work that way and insurance companies will not pay $1 they do think they have to. This means you need a good attorney and mediator, etc.
Well, of course! I was talking about having a good attorney and bringing suit against the insurance company. I know that the insurance company is not going to just "hand over" the money without a fight.

Old 05-15-2024, 03:38 PM

Quote:
I am able to document the hours I work prior and post crash. Pain and suffering is significant for me as I have never had a concussion. Depression, loss of interest in things, headaches and fear of driving again all factor in. The residual we are trying to clear up cognitively with trained thereapist. At the time of the crash I was completely unaware of the effects which would follow.

I goal is to be made whole. To purchase the same vehicle now would cost quite a bit more due to increase in interest rates.

final answer, in terms of the 15 over the limit I guess the Trooper knows cars. His vehicle was devastated, all air bags intrusion of at least a foot they had to pry the kid out of the car. He hit fast and hard.

Part of your problem is also your insurance coverage. You should have some coverage in there that pays some of your lost wages. I hope you discuss that with your insurance agent. If you don't have it you might thinking about adding it.

Old 05-15-2024, 03:56 PM

107,117 posts, read 109,467,196 times
here we have no fault .

that means your own insurance company always pays your wages and medical regardless of fault

they will then go after the other insurance company if they are at fault and get reimbursed

Old 05-15-2024, 04:17 PM

It is a good idea to run these scenarios by your insurance agent or a claims adjuster (or both) based on my own comments as well as what Mathjak is adding here. Every state is different and every insurance policy is different.

Old 05-15-2024, 06:07 PM

26,203 posts, read 21,695,529 times
Quote:

How are you including interest rates in anything to do with your vehicle replacement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance