Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you file taxes electronically?
Yes 66 78.57%
No 18 21.43%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 06:36 PM

88,511 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
We efiled Friday afternoon, using TurboTax, for both Federal and State. We’ve been utilizing TurboTax since 2011/2012 and have had solid results using this software.
I used to use them until a few years ago when they had something screwy with the part about filing in two states (I've always lived in one and worked in the other.) In previous years it worked OK. Since the income is taxable in both states, it doubles the amount, making it look as if I made twice as much, but then there's a screen to make the adjustment. That year the screen did not come up, and there was no way I could get the program to understand that it wasn't double the money. NY income tax is higher than NJ's, so for NJ I do a "credit for taxes paid to other jurisdictions" and it all shakes out. But not that year. They kept insisting I owed nothing to NY and a ton of money to NJ based on the double income amount. I tried to contact them for help, and they wanted $114 for me to talk to somebody about a glitch in THEIR program.

I switched over to TaxAct, it all went smoothly, and I've used them ever since.

This year I did look at some of the Free File sites for federal and New York, but they aren't free unless you are under a certain income, and I wasn't.

Old 04-15-2024, 06:42 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Yes. It's easy and simple and any refund is in my bank account within days. I know it's best to not have a refund, but some consider it forced savings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2024, 06:43 PM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times
I use TurboTax and file both federal and state electronically.

Old 04-15-2024, 08:19 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,551,299 times
Complete your federal return first, then your non-resident state return then the resident state return in that order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I used to use them until a few years ago when they had something screwy with the part about filing in two states (I've always lived in one and worked in the other.) In previous years it worked OK. Since the income is taxable in both states, it doubles the amount, making it look as if I made twice as much, but then there's a screen to make the adjustment. That year the screen did not come up, and there was no way I could get the program to understand that it wasn't double the money. NY income tax is higher than NJ's, so for NJ I do a "credit for taxes paid to other jurisdictions" and it all shakes out. But not that year. They kept insisting I owed nothing to NY and a ton of money to NJ based on the double income amount. I tried to contact them for help, and they wanted $114 for me to talk to somebody about a glitch in THEIR program.

I switched over to TaxAct, it all went smoothly, and I've used them ever since.

This year I did look at some of the Free File sites for federal and New York, but they aren't free unless you are under a certain income, and I wasn't.

Old 04-15-2024, 08:30 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Yes. As my tax prep EA does every year in mid-February.

Old 04-15-2024, 08:51 PM

88,511 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Complete your federal return first, then your non-resident state return then the resident state return in that order
Ummm, yeah, I've done it that way for 45 years, before tax software existed. You have to, in order to claim credit for the taxes paid to the non-resident jurisdiction. Not sure what your reason is for responding to my post with that.

I was talking about an error in the software that doubled my income and would not recognize the two-state issue.

Old 04-15-2024, 09:09 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,551,299 times
You have to apportion the income from federal return to the correct state returns. I file more than 1 state return and I've not had any issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ummm, yeah, I've done it that way for 45 years, before tax software existed. You have to, in order to claim credit for the taxes paid to the non-resident jurisdiction. Not sure what your reason is for responding to my post with that.

I was talking about an error in the software that doubled my income and would not recognize the two-state issue.

Old 04-15-2024, 11:50 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
I find it hard to believe. I remember the Turbotax scam. Only after filling out most of the info you find out there is a fee.
What scam?

I have used TT to do and file my taxes for over 30 years. Longer probably. Never had any sort of scam.

Old 04-16-2024, 09:11 AM

6,339 posts, read 2,889,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
What scam?

I have used TT to do and file my taxes for over 30 years. Longer probably. Never had any sort of scam.
Quote:
FTC Sues Intuit for Its Deceptive TurboTax “free” Filing Campaign

Commission Seeks an Immediate Halt to Intuit’s Deceptive Ads for “Free” Products

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/news...iling-campaign

That's a bait and switch scam. Promise its free when it isn't.

Old 04-16-2024, 09:33 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I do not file electronically. There's always a glitch, it seems, and I don't have the patience for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance