Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 07:26 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,313,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Wrong. You do attach 1099s and/or W2s to an electronic 1040. The IRS forms library provides an electronic blank of the W2 and various 1099s. You fill in the blanks using the information your employer or investment sent to you. Then attach those electronic files to your electronic 1040. Yes, the IRS can look the information up for itself, but that's true regardless which filing method you use.
It appears as you input items & amounts the tax software puts this information into the correct boxes. So the W2 become a part of the file. Dividends & interest go to Form B. Social Security goes to Line 6. There are underlying attachments to the 1040.

For the OP if you file paper forms & mail that in becomes different.

For payment it is possible to file the tax return electronically then print the vouchers to send checks for payment in the mail. You get 1 voucher for tax then 4 vouchers for estimated tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2024, 08:54 PM

5,987 posts, read 3,727,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
It appears as you input items & amounts the tax software puts this information into the correct boxes. So the W2 become a part of the file. Dividends & interest go to Form B. Social Security goes to Line 6. There are underlying attachments to the 1040.

For the OP if you file paper forms & mail that in becomes different.

For payment it is possible to file the tax return electronically then print the vouchers to send checks for payment in the mail. You get 1 voucher for tax then 4 vouchers for estimated tax.
You can also make payments online. No envelopes or checks needed. Just the bank account number you want IRS to take the money from.

For several years now, I've been doing it ALL online, and I have a fairly complicated and lengthy tax return. It would literally take me a month or longer of work if I had to write it all out in longhand and send in paper forms.

Instead, I use TurboTax and enter all the info there, make payments, OR receive a refund (as the case may be) and don't have to pick up a pen for anything. Also don't have to mail in any forms such as withholding, or interest earned or any of that. I can provide everything they need online.

Takes me about 3 hours for my federal taxes (because I'm very deliberate) with TurboTax versus several weeks and a mountain of paperwork if I did it on paper.

Old Today, 12:06 PM

3,528 posts, read 6,528,901 times
Update: I got the refund!
I'm impressed, it only took a week after I filed.
Obviously not sending the 1099 for bonds did not matter.

Old Today, 02:32 PM

5,987 posts, read 3,727,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Update: I got the refund!
I'm impressed, it only took a week after I filed.
Obviously not sending the 1099 for bonds did not matter.
Told ya.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance