Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 11:21 AM

5,338 posts, read 6,043,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I have purchased many CDs at Schwab, and all were purchased online. When they mature, the funds are deposited into my core account. I do not have my CDs set to roll automatically.

If I wanted to withdraw those funds, I could do that online as well.

What is it that you are actually trying to accomplish? Are you wanting to withdraw the actual cash into your hands?? If so, obviously you are going to have to go SOMEWHERE to do that. No one is going to deliver it to your house LOL.
My experience: I downloaded an online form at home. I then emailed the completed form along with a copy of my driver's license to my (out of state) Credit Union. The Credit Union mailed me my check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2024, 11:22 AM

37,721 posts, read 46,165,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
My experience: I downloaded an online form at home. I then emailed the completed form along with a copy of my driver's license to my (out of state) Credit Union. The Credit Union mailed me my check.
Eek. I would never trust the mail for a check these days.

Old 05-13-2024, 12:22 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,159,079 times
Quote:
Eek. I would never trust the mail for a check these days.
Online Bill payment still relies on checks. When I cash in reward points, they still send paper checks which I deposit through their app.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer electronic ACH transfers but some things I can't control.

Old 05-13-2024, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Online Bill payment still relies on checks. When I cash in reward points, they still send paper checks which I deposit through their app.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer electronic ACH transfers but some things I can't control.
I don't cash in reward points. I always get the cash applied to my CC. I can't remember the last time I actually got a check in the mail. And I have not mailed a check in, well, really not sure when the last time was. Oh - I had to send a check to renew my passport - but that was sent Priority Mail, and it has been cashed.

Old 05-13-2024, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I don't cash in reward points. I always get the cash applied to my CC. I can't remember the last time I actually got a check in the mail. And I have not mailed a check in, well, really not sure when the last time was. Oh - I had to send a check to renew my passport - but that was sent Priority Mail, and it has been cashed.
I use reward points to fund my Roth IRA. "Free" money I've never been taxed on, grows tax free and withdraws tax free.

Old 05-13-2024, 02:55 PM

107,022 posts, read 109,313,415 times
Quote:
I use reward points to fund my Roth IRA. "Free" money I've never been taxed on, grows tax free and withdraws tax free.
reward points is a rebate of money you spent and paid taxes on.

that is why reward points are not taxable yet promos for opening bank accounts are

Old 05-13-2024, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
reward points is a rebate of money you spent and paid taxes on.

that is why reward points are not taxable yet promos for opening bank accounts are
I'm not sure how they categorize it, but it's spent on the same gas or groceries I was already going to buy. The only difference was I charged it to a credit card versus paying in cash. So if a credit card company's wants to redirect another user's interest payment as a rebate to me, then they can use whatever accounting trick they'd like.

Old Yesterday, 01:53 AM

107,022 posts, read 109,313,415 times
they are rebates for money either spent or will spend. that has been taxed .

there are no reward points without having spent that money that was taxed . it’s no different then a 2% cash discount would be as an example . ….if there are then it could be taxable but most cards only offer you points on money you spent or someone else will spend like when you get 20,000 points for referring a friend for a premium card…there is no free lunch when it comes to taxes here

Old Today, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Im retired. No income for a Roth. Cash back works best for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance