Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2023, 11:51 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,563,248 times

Advertisements

When you have a CD there is interest every month and the interest usually goes back into the CD.
Aren't there times when you can opt to have the interest deposited to your account instead of being reinvested?

I recently bought a CD and I thought I would be asked that. I wasn't.

Are there cases where it's quarterly and not monthly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2023, 01:37 PM

23,462 posts, read 19,122,726 times
If the answer to your question isn't in your CD's documentation, call the bank that offered it.

It's usually a good idea to be sure you understand the terms before investing in something.

https://www.bankrate.com/banking/cds.../#how-it-works

https://www.schwab.com/fixed-income/...a1a94b9e161142

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-08-2023 at 01:46 PM..

Old 12-08-2023, 01:55 PM

6,794 posts, read 5,105,525 times
Brokered CDs typically make periodic interest payments. Verify the terms to be sure, as some only pay interest at maturity.

Treasury Notes are another possibility. The make interest payments every six months. If you want quarterly payments you could buy two different notes that have interest payments offset by three months from one another.

Old 12-08-2023, 03:32 PM

2,755 posts, read 1,798,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
When you have a CD there is interest every month and the interest usually goes back into the CD.
Aren't there times when you can opt to have the interest deposited to your account instead of being reinvested?

I recently bought a CD and I thought I would be asked that. I wasn't.

Are there cases where it's quarterly and not monthly?
If you're buying a CD directly from a bank, then you can usually choose to have the interest paid out separately. The default normally is to add interest to the CD monthly so you have to give them separate instructions to pay it out differently (some you can do online, others you have to call and let them know what you want).

Brokered CD's will never add interest to the CD. Interest will be paid out in accordance with the terms of the CD when it was issued (monthly, quarterly, semi-annually, annually or at maturity).

Old 12-16-2023, 11:28 AM

I recently bought a CD through online banking. Everything started ok.

The bank sent me a paper form called a Signature Form, along with a receipt and a list of interest rates (which I already could see on the website). I was supposed to sign it and return it. It said something about "W9" on it.

Was this just to give the bank an image of my signature? I was annoyed they didn't exactly spell out why they sent me this.

I wasn't sure if it was required, even, but it says if I don't return it, it could result in "backup withholding" - what does that mean?

Old 12-16-2023, 11:59 AM

2,755 posts, read 1,798,704 times
Quote:
I recently bought a CD through online banking. Everything started ok.

The bank sent me a paper form called a Signature Form, along with a receipt and a list of interest rates (which I already could see on the website). I was supposed to sign it and return it. It said something about "W9" on it.

Was this just to give the bank an image of my signature? I was annoyed they didn't exactly spell out why they sent me this.

I wasn't sure if it was required, even, but it says if I don't return it, it could result in "backup withholding" - what does that mean?
The W-9 confirms your social security number to the bank and you are stating that you aren't subject to backup withholding.

Backup withholding is federal taxes required to be withheld if a payer of taxable income like interest doesn't have this form on file from the payee or the payee acknowledges they are subject to backup withholding because of prior delinquencies with the IRS.

Old 12-16-2023, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
The W-9 confirms your social security number to the bank and you are stating that you aren't subject to backup withholding.
Thank you - actually, it wasn't exactly a W9 that I signed.
I will get another copy soon because of another CD so maybe I can tell you exactly what it said. I had never heard of backup withholding before!

Old 12-16-2023, 12:59 PM

22,658 posts, read 47,859,192 times
Quote:
Thank you - actually, it wasn't exactly a W9 that I signed.
Either it was a W9 or it wasn't.

Old 12-16-2023, 01:02 PM

It was a "Signature Form".

Old 12-16-2023, 02:13 PM

6,638 posts, read 7,380,088 times
You can buy through a stock broker also. In general you will be paid interest every 6 months. When you purchase you will have the option of reinvesting or being paid the interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance