Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2023, 07:00 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,323,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
The two biggest questions I have when look at legislative candidates is a) are their policy positions, as stated in their platform or inferred through their legislative voting history, aligned with mine? b) are they an ethical person?

Bob Casey, John Fetterman, and Dwight Evans are my senators and representative. They do a much better job representing me than any viable alternatives presented to me.

The primary job of legislators is to read, write, collaborate on, negotiate over, and *vote* on bills. These guys push for legislation that I agree with much more than what the Republican caucus has to offer.

PS- John Fetterman was hospitalized for serious mental health needs. After receiving treatment, he is back on the job. Not only did he do the best thing for himself and his family, but he also became part of a broader movement to de-stigmatize and open up discourse about mental health. When such things are pushed under the rug, it can have devastating consequences, as I have experienced with loved ones first-hand far too many times.
To your point, ironic that Republicans claim the US has a mental health crisis and something should be done to alleviate the crisis (their choice words after every mass shooting), yet in the next breath make fun of John Fetterman for being open about his struggles with mental health, which I find gross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2023, 06:58 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
PS- John Fetterman was hospitalized for serious mental health needs. After receiving treatment, he is back on the job. Not only did he do the best thing for himself and his family, but he also became part of a broader movement to de-stigmatize and open up discourse about mental health. When such things are pushed under the rug, it can have devastating consequences, as I have experienced with loved ones first-hand far too many times.
Fetterman should have stepped down long ago. He was never equipped for any job that has any stress. He never worked and was fully supported by his republican parents. He is a spoiled brat that markets himself as some down and out depressed man shuffling his feet. He has NO background for really any job. Totally unqualified. I am waiting for him to show up to work in a diaper and a rattle in his hand and climb into the corner of the meeting room and just curl up in the fetal position. A total disgrace and it shows how low we can go with voting leadership. Wow!

Old 09-26-2023, 09:28 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-C View Post
Lately I am embarrassed to disclose that I live in PA..
Then leave. End of problem.

Old 09-26-2023, 09:29 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,182,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
All I hear about Fetterman is how he can't really do the job and "dresses down" to put it nicely. Casey makes news every once it a while. But I can't tell you what he's done.
And the Representatives? Forget about it.
This is by design, imho. He is non-controversial and does not make waves or take wild, partisan positions. The result is a cushy, lifelong position for which he'll keep getting re-elected. He has found the silver bullet in gaming the system.

Old 09-26-2023, 09:31 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,182,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Have you compared Oz’s resume to your Fetterman? You might want to live in the real world. We had an opportunity to have a successful doctor that understands what can be accomplished in the US because his parents were first generation. He gets it. Your Fetterman is a spoiled brat that never grew up and can’t even dress himself. Stop falling for such nonsense. Seriously. Maybe you are joking. Kind of have to be.
You are part the problem. Nowhere did NewtownBucks claim that Fetterman was "his" guy. I guess we can't just have a civilized discussion about PA politics (or politics in general) without getting personal.

Old 09-26-2023, 09:32 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Quote:
We had an opportunity to have a successful doctor that understands what can be accomplished in the US because his parents were first generation. He gets it.
Quote:
Stop falling for such nonsense.
LOL. Oh, the irony. If by "getting it," you mean falling for RNC propaganda to force rich carpetbaggers into the Senate.

Old 09-26-2023, 09:40 AM

1,386 posts, read 910,368 times
Quote:
Have you compared Oz’s resume to your Fetterman? You might want to live in the real world. We had an opportunity to have a successful doctor that understands what can be accomplished in the US because his parents were first generation. He gets it. Your Fetterman is a spoiled brat that never grew up and can’t even dress himself. Stop falling for such nonsense. Seriously. Maybe you are joking. Kind of have to be.
"My Fetterman"? I'm a Republican, although I vote more like an independent and wrote in Connor Lamb in that election. Oz was an absolutely terrible candidate and not even a Pennsylvanian. If the Republicans don't wise up to the nonsense and excise Trump and the entire MAGA cult before that cancer metastasizes even further, they are going to continue to lose until the party dies, and then all that's left to run the country will be far leftists pushing for handouts and degeneracy.

Old 09-26-2023, 09:55 AM

722 posts, read 598,028 times
These representatives are in legislative bodies. It isn't so much what they "do" or "accomplish" as it's what policies they vote for or against. Sure, a very few legislators are prime movers of big bills, but for the most part they are there to vote for or against policies and programs. So the question is really "what is their voting history?" We choose them based on what you might reasonably expect them to support and to oppose. The great problem is, for the House reps at least, that gerrymandering has sent a body of legislators to Washington that don't represent the majority voters of this state with regard to policy. Minority rule is undermining the basic principles of democracy.

Old 09-26-2023, 10:15 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,323,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
"My Fetterman"? I'm a Republican, although I vote more like an independent and wrote in Connor Lamb in that election. Oz was an absolutely terrible candidate and not even a Pennsylvanian. If the Republicans don't wise up to the nonsense and excise Trump and the entire MAGA cult before that cancer metastasizes even further, they are going to continue to lose until the party dies, and then all that's left to run the country will be far leftists pushing for handouts and degeneracy.
Connor Lamb was the strongest candidate of the entire bunch.

Old 09-26-2023, 06:13 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,448,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
These representatives are in legislative bodies. It isn't so much what they "do" or "accomplish" as it's what policies they vote for or against. Sure, a very few legislators are prime movers of big bills, but for the most part they are there to vote for or against policies and programs. So the question is really "what is their voting history?" We choose them based on what you might reasonably expect them to support and to oppose. The great problem is, for the House reps at least, that gerrymandering has sent a body of legislators to Washington that don't represent the majority voters of this state with regard to policy. Minority rule is undermining the basic principles of democracy.
This is spot on. It's funny when people say, "I can't think of anything (insert legislator) has done!" ... Have you looked at their legislative voting history?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania