Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2023, 07:33 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times

Advertisements

Supposedly, the reason why PA has only rear license plates was to preserve steel during WW2 and also during the Korean War. But that reason is no longer valid since there is no shortage of steel.

Having both front and rear license plates would make it easier for cops to identify scofflaws who throw litter on the highways and speeders going in the opposite direction from the cop car. It would also aid in the automatic enforcement of the law w.r.t. cars not stopping at stop lights and stop signs, a major problem in cities.

It's also way past the time for a new license plate design. The current license plate design dates from 1973.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2023, 07:43 AM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Supposedly, the reason why PA has only rear license plates was to preserve steel during WW2 and also during the Korean War. But that reason is no longer valid since there is no shortage of steel.

Having both front and rear license plates would make it easier for cops to identify scofflaws who throw litter on the highways and speeders going in the opposite direction from the cop car. It would also aid in the automatic enforcement of the law w.r.t. cars not stopping at stop lights and stop signs, a major problem in cities.
News to me. How long have the cops been pushing for this?

Quote:
It's also way past the time for a new license plate design. The current license plate design dates from 1973.
You sure about 1973? When I moved here and ditched my front plate in 1993 I was handed a gold-on-blue plate. Then some years later I had to swap that one for the current blue-on-white plate. The reason for the switch was to advertise the state's new website on the Information Superhighway.

Old 03-09-2023, 08:33 AM

1,170 posts, read 590,192 times
I didn't know this was on anyone's radar but I would be really mad of a got a car that wasn't meant for a front license plate, and then was required to add one. If you purchased an Alfa Romeo, you probably care about style more than anything else, and wow does it look awful with a front plate. I've seen them with that ugly yellow NJ plate, completely ruins it.

Old 03-09-2023, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
I didn't know this was on anyone's radar but I would be really mad of a got a car that wasn't meant for a front license plate, and then was required to add one. If you purchased an Alfa Romeo, you probably care about style more than anything else, and wow does it look awful with a front plate. I've seen them with that ugly yellow NJ plate, completely ruins it.

Alfa Romeo's are made in Italy, and all EU countries require front plates. The glossy photos in the sales brochures may omit the front plate, but they also omit the inspection sticker, EZ Pass, and dead bugs on the windshield.

Old 03-09-2023, 09:43 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
front plate, yes.
new design, no. waste of money. It's a license plate not a decoration.

Old 03-09-2023, 11:59 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Yes. I wish we did have front plates.

Old 03-09-2023, 12:13 PM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post

They must have reinstated two plates after WWII and then got rid of them. I have a set of 1950 plates.

Here in Maryland the Maryland State Police go nuts if anyone suggests getting rid of the two plates. They say it's "ease of identification for enforcement" issue. Many speed cameras flash on both plates, so you get a picture in the mail of your vehicle both coming and going.

In any event, the two or one issue is a tempest in a teapot kind of thing. The majority of states, thirty one, are two plate states.

Old 03-10-2023, 08:46 AM

445 posts, read 413,295 times
I agree that vehicles should be required to have front plates, just like NJ. Traffic violence is at an all-time high.

Old 03-10-2023, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge12 View Post
I agree that vehicles should be required to have front plates, just like NJ. Traffic violence is at an all-time high.
There must be a study that shows Philly has more Traffic Crime than Boston, that Pittsburgh has more than Cleveland, York has more than Syracuse, etc, correlating to the lack of front plates.

I'm not denying those studies exist, just asking to see them from the cops who are demanding front plates in PA. Not even asking to prove causation, just correlation and I'll make the leap from there.

Old 03-10-2023, 12:39 PM

401 posts, read 426,083 times
Not everyone in NJ has a front plate.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...e-license.html

Lived in NJ for 58 years never gave it thought before we moved to Pa 8 years ago. Well at least both of my Hondas have the front plate setup. My CRV I purchased from a NJ dealer while living in Pa it came with the front plate hardware. So what did I put on the front plate?? of course a NY Yankees plate…lol

Tom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania