Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2020, 07:56 PM

11 posts, read 21,727 times

Advertisements

I have to go to my office twice a week and my hours are flexible. So if I want, I can start work at 10 a.m. and end at 7 p.m. My office is actually in Maryland, close to District Heights and I-495. I drive a hybrid.

I have some good reasons to be interested in PA. I am wondering whether the twice-a-week commute driving a hybrid outside of the worst of rush hour is doable in the long run.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2020, 06:27 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
Twice a week isn't terrible but I would look into Baltimore tbh. Most people who commute from York to Maryland are commuting to Baltimore not DC. Where are you currently located? Of the three central Pennsylvania cities, Lancaster is the most desirable, followed by Harrisburg and then York.

Old 10-07-2020, 03:17 PM

11 posts, read 21,727 times
Thanks.

As I said, there are reasons I prefer York over Baltimore.

I am currently in NoVa, specifically in Prince William County.

Lancaster and Harrisburg are further out from DC than York. Is there something specific about those two cities that make them more desirable?

Old 10-07-2020, 04:43 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
I would suggest Lancaster over York. It is a long commute though. York is just not very cosmopolitan, mainly due to its lack of industry. Harrisburg has a large percentage of government professional jobs and is home to Penn State Medical School, and Lancaster is home to several universities and a large arts scene. York just does not have a strong professional industry presence, so therefore I find it to be more blue collar.

I would look into Towson, Maryland if I were you. But that is just my opinion. If you want a 2 hour commute then I would suggest Lancaster over York. Good Luck

Old 10-07-2020, 06:13 PM

325 posts, read 368,219 times
I would just do Greenbelt or whatever it’s called.

Old 02-27-2024, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Z-B View Post
I would just do Greenbelt or whatever it’s called.
I recommend Greenbelt if you like hanging out at Chevy’s Mexican restaurant or Applebys

Old 02-28-2024, 05:05 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
OP correct me if I’m wrong… But you didn’t ask about medical institutions, or nightlife, or educational institutions, or other job opportunities in Pennsylvania you asked about the commute from York to south of DC in Maryland.

And if that is your primary interest, then go with the shortest commute from the city in Pennsylvania in which you want to live. If those other things are not as high priority, and York has the shorter commute than obviously, York would be the best option for your commute twice a week.

That said two hours is a heckuva long commute, even if it were to only be once a week. Any chance you can stay overnight with someone for your two days in Maryland? If your two days working there are in a row could that be a possibility? …so you would go down stay the two days and then come straight home from the second work day… and not have to go back-and-forth each day for two hours each way.

Can you do it? Of course you can. How quickly it would be too draining for you… Only you can guess I had a coworker who drove from suburban Philadelphia to downtown DC for over a decade. We all talked about him and thought he was crazy, but people do what they have to do. Good luck to you.

Forgive any typos, this was 100% dictated.

Old 02-28-2024, 05:55 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
OP... I commute from Baltimore into DC but I use the MARC commuter rail.. One question you may want to ask yourself is how long you plan to remain with this employer or if there is an option to transfer to another location in the future. If these two options are viable in the future for you.. then live where you will be happy and endure the grind. If you love where you live then you still have the option of changing your employer or possibly your work location over time to something closer or easier access to transit.. Baltimore has its challenges but it has all the amenities of a major city at a fraction of the cost.. so it works for me for now....Good Luck

Old 02-28-2024, 10:02 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,181,563 times
Four-year-old post, folks...

Old 02-28-2024, 11:15 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
Thanks… I really do have to start looking at more than just the date of the last post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania