Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2023, 12:34 AM

529 posts, read 181,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesevar View Post
Would you and/or do you practice any closed system practices in your paganism? I mean incorporating other religions and practices into your beliefs and practices? I have heard from some more pc people that this is cultural appropriation. Others do whatever works, ie taking bits and pieces from everything and anything that works.

I personally am eclectic but try to stay away from closed practices if I know what I am doing (I should say). I would say this topic is not controversial to me but some might find it to be. For instance I in addition to being an eclectic witch I go to services at a Unitarian Universalist church. One of the "ministers" or should I say a board member in the past made us take down our traditional day of the dead altar and put it in a side room to not offend anyone. The last I knew most of the congregation where white liberal folk who did participate in the day of the dead altar by putting pictures of deceased loved ones on the altar.

Another example is a friend who incorporates voodoo into her witchery. I guess I personally don't have a problem with it but I thought that was a closed practice as well.

Anyway I like to come to this page and was wondering if anyone had an opinion on this topic.
Merry Meet Julesevar and thanks for your question. If you don't mind, I'm going to answer your question a little bit differently because I think it's important to mention this part. I have instructed and performed very private rituals for the public to see and it agitated some peers of mine, especially the purist of Wicca tradition. They believe that a public display of a private ritual is disrespectful during a celebration, Magickal working, or worship service, but I beg to differ.

My main reason for filming my most private rituals was to show and demystify the hysteria people had with witchcraft rituals. My ceremonies are very precise, but so peaceful and loving too. It's that love and benign way of life I wanted to show outsiders so they needn't be afraid of a witches ritual workings. I also wanted to give examples to new witches how they might perform a ritual of their own too. They were certainly free to follow my rituals precisely or use bits and pieces of it to suit their individual needs, regardless of how they performed their rituals they had my full blessing!

In regards to closed practices of other witch Faith's I don't see anything wrong with incorporating their practices as part of your own as long as you are respectful and understand the culture behind the practice. Magick is meant to be shared by all who wish to engage in this Noble way of life so I see no problem in doing that. I just want you to know that we are not just talking about culture, but the roles of gender in a ritual as well. In my coven there is no distinction between women and men, we are treated as equals so both roles of high priestess/priest can coincide simultaneously during the same ritual.

There are no Superman or Wonder Woman in our group, were are all part of a family that relies on our strengths and weaknesses regardless of what gender we are from. We are a very progressive group that's not of the old ways, but the new ways of humanity we want to become. I hope what I said helped answer your questions and concerns, love ya!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism