Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 11:50 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,795,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I started out doing spreads as suggested in the various booklets accompanying the cards. But very soon, I changed my approach. For the past decade or so, I shuffle until one, two, or however-many cards pop out of the deck. I let the "universe" decide for me. (Or maybe my inevitable clumsiness....)

That's a good idea. I don't know how I got stuck on using three cards, but I should probably be more intuitive and receptive to the cards that fall out, or just pop up. I've always been too lazy to try to do complicated spreads of any kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 12:28 PM

1,096 posts, read 418,250 times
I really like the 3 card spreads. Have used them to do past/present/future or mind/body/spirit spreads. 5 card spreads when I want just a bit more. Don't often do large spreads.

Question... Do you guys read reversals or just ignore them? Know everyone reads Tarot differently. When they come up for me I'll read them as not quite being the full energy of the upright card. Say for example Ace of Swords, in a reading that might mean a new idea (business or otherwise) but if I see it reversed it could mean the idea is there but might take extra work to bring about.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:31 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
That is wonderful that your instructor gave you a booklet to use of his own work. Hang onto that I took a tarot class at a local shop that used to be around, gosh I think it was back in the 90s and he had given us a bunch of handouts. I don't even know what I did with them later. I got more out of reading books on Tarot than his class and taking part in various online forums.

Aeclectic Tarot is a great place to see decks for anyone that wants to see a huge variety of decks. Their forum shut down but everything is still online to look at.

Which Shaman deck did you get?
Good question. I don't know, and I'm away from home and don't think I have the deck where I am. I'll try to remember to answer this when I see it again.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I really like the 3 card spreads. Have used them to do past/present/future or mind/body/spirit spreads. 5 card spreads when I want just a bit more. Don't often do large spreads.

Question... Do you guys read reversals or just ignore them? Know everyone reads Tarot differently. When they come up for me I'll read them as not quite being the full energy of the upright card. Say for example Ace of Swords, in a reading that might mean a new idea (business or otherwise) but if I see it reversed it could mean the idea is there but might take extra work to bring about.
I have ignored them so far with Tarot, but when I pull runes, I do read the reversal because it can be important.

With Tarot, I usually just play until one card drops and use that one, but I have done three-card spreads and played with a couple of others, but not too much. I do a three-rune spread sometimes. It is "Overview, Challenge, Action". Got some good direction from that when I last did it a couple of weeks ago.

Old 08-22-2019, 03:58 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,595,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have ignored them so far with Tarot, but when I pull runes, I do read the reversal because it can be important.

With Tarot, I usually just play until one card drops and use that one, but I have done three-card spreads and played with a couple of others, but not too much. I do a three-rune spread sometimes. It is "Overview, Challenge, Action". Got some good direction from that when I last did it a couple of weeks ago.
This discussion is silly. Tarot cards are gaming cards that eager marketers have modified to a greater or lesser extent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarot

The runic alphabet is just that—an alphabet. People claiming magical properties for either runes or modified and renamed playing cards draw only intellectual contempt. The people making these claims have inflicted the term crackpot on all pagans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW9KbtjyHN4&t=19s

Old 08-22-2019, 04:08 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,172,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
This discussion is silly. Tarot cards are gaming cards that eager marketers have modified to a greater or lesser extent.

The runic alphabet is just that—an alphabet. People claiming magical properties for either runes or modified and renamed playing cards draw only intellectual contempt. The people making these claims have inflicted the term crackpot on all pagans.

I've been called worse.

Old 08-22-2019, 04:17 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,276,683 times
I received my first deck when I was 18. I was told that your first deck should be given to you (I don't know how true that is). I was at my then boyfriend's house. He was renting a room from this guy. I don't recall the reason but the owner of the house had a drawer open in the living room and I noticed a deck in there (Rider-Waite deck). I made a comment about the first deck should be given to you, so the guy took the deck-along with the book that went with it, handed them to me and said, "Here is your first deck." Even though it wasn't given to me as a special gift or anything, I was pretty happy with it.

I used those cards for decades. They got bent, and was pretty hard to use. I figured it was time to replace them. The store I went to was pretty limited on what they had. I bought a deck that were pretty (I can't remember which one it was). I loved the artwork but the cards were too big for my hands and the booklet that came with it didn't give me much help. But then I found MY deck (what else?) Tarot of The Cat People. I gave the other deck to my niece (her first deck). It never occurred to me to have more than one deck. I have given others their first decks-including my step-daughter who chose the Robin Wood deck. Somewhere along the way I picked up the Medieval Cat Tarot-but because of the color (not much contrast), these cards are really hard for me see.

I have acquired other cards-Titania's Fortune Cards, which I really like, Oracle cards, & The Lakota Sweat Lodge Cards (given to my by a former colleague of my husband-a college professor). I also have Witching Stones & Runes.

As for my readings-I mainly do them for myself. I only use the Major Arcana. After all these years, I STILL need the book for some of the meanings of each card. I like a 7 card spread. First two cards are past and past influence. Next two are present and present influence. The next two are future & future influence. And the last card is final outcome. And I do include reverse meanings. I find this is a good reading for yes or no questions. If the majority of the cards are in the upright position, the answer is yes. If the majority are in the reverse position, the answer is no.

I also have a tarot app on my tablet and I get the "card of the day." This app includes both Major & Minor Arcanas. I don't recall if it has reverse cards or not. I don't think so.

Cat

Old 08-22-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:

I just put a spell on you. When you wake up with those oozing green lumps on your face and genitals, you'll be sorry you made fun of The Mighty Queen!

Old 08-22-2019, 07:57 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:

I usually just spread the cards and out scramble them.

Depending on what I am looking for, I either draw just one card, or do a 3 card spread (past, present, future). I pick cards merely by coming into contact with one as I scramble them and it "feels right". Or, if one separates from the pile, I select that one. I rotate the card clockwise until it is in the vertical position, then cheat by going to Biddy Tarot and reading the description, either right side up or reversed...which is why I like the scramble method.

I don't use it in terms of "predictions", I use it in terms of looking for ideas related to the issue I am focusing and trying to see angles that I hadn't yet thought of. Sort of a way to see more completely.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:00 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:

We all have different opinions. I have different opinions than you about firearms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism