Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 06:05 PM

518 posts, read 397,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I sometimes hear French spoken here in Winnipeg.

Also Tagalog, German, Punjabi, Cantonese, Mandarin, Ukrainian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 06:14 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecOpec View Post

Also Tagalog, German, Punjabi, Cantonese, Mandarin, Ukrainian.
What's your point? The topic of this thread is French language. With the exception of Tagalog I don't really hear those other languages.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:30 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecOpec View Post
Me neither.

or in Dublin

good argument

you need to travel to Côte d'Ivoire if you want a reply in French

Acajack, I appreciate your optimism but no, once you're outside Québec's borders there's no French anymore. Nowhere except for Prescott & Russell, which is not Ottawa.
French speakers are being assimilated in West Ottawa and French services generally suck there (as they do in much of Ottawa).

But you still hear French spoken regularly in the area.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:30 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,206,065 times
Last time I was in Ottawa, I was in a supermarket, and I don't think I heard anybody speaking English or French. Just Chinese, Farsi, Ukrainian.

In Newfoundland, everyone in my office was amazed when they heard me speaking French on the phone, none of the other 20 or so people could. And as a non-Canadian, I was the only one who never took French in school'

Old 03-14-2019, 09:28 AM

1,299 posts, read 822,615 times
I lived in Ottawa for a couple of years 1990-92. I heard French all the time. I lived centrally, mind you - New Edinburgh, Sandy Hill, the Glebe. And I worked at the UofO, so of course there was lots of French there. My speaking ability is poor, but I could understand a lot of what was going on around me.

I had moved there from BC, and until people knew that, I met with some hostility not being fluent. Then someone would say "oh, she's a westerner" and it was like flipping a switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I sometimes hear French spoken here in Winnipeg.
I live in St.B. I hear it daily!

Old 03-17-2019, 07:35 PM

35 posts, read 36,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I guess your ears were closed most of the time. In the western part of Ottawa and western suburbs, the local French speaking population is a small minority it is true and those who do live there mostly speak English when out and about.

You just proved my point! lol

Quote:

But there are "destinations" in the west end where francophones do go like IKEA, Bayshore, Tanger Outlets, the Ottawa Senators arena. Basically, stuff that we don't have over here in Gatineau. So you definitely hear French regularly when you're hanging around those places specifically.

But they don't LIVE there. They have to commute across a border to get to those places. A small percentage could also be French tourist as well as Ottawa gas an active element of visiting from France.

Bottom line, Ottawa is an English city with a small portion of French speakers, not the other way around...

Old 03-18-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40roller View Post
You just proved my point! lol

Not really. You said the only time you ever heard French growing up in West Ottawa was in French class. That's almost never. But if you go to IKEA today or tonight I can guarantee you you'll hear French. If you go to Bayshore you'll hear French. If you go to an event at the Canadian Tire Centre, you'll hear French. None of those are French classes in schools.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:

Bottom line, Ottawa is an English city with a small portion of French speakers, not the other way around...
I don't think anyone has argued the opposite. Even the east end of Ottawa is predominantly anglophone these days.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:55 AM

35 posts, read 36,056 times
Quote:
Not really. You said the only time you ever heard French growing up in West Ottawa was in French class. That's almost never. But if you go to IKEA today or tonight I can guarantee you you'll hear French. If you go to Bayshore you'll hear French. If you go to an event at the Canadian Tire Centre, you'll hear French. None of those are French classes in schools.
You are the missing the point again. I said "growing up" meaning past tense, many eons ago back in the 70's, 80's and hell even the 90's.

I come back to Ottawa occasionally and seldomly hear french in the Westend (west of Bank) . Again not talking about those Hab or even small number of Sens fans that commute to the CTC and speak French.

I could drive to Maniwaki every weekend and speak English in the McDonalds up there and that in no way would constitute that town as hearing "English" lol

Old 03-18-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
You are the missing the point again. I said "growing up" meaning past tense, many eons ago back in the 70's, 80's and hell even the 90's.

I come back to Ottawa occasionally and seldomly hear french in the Westend (west of Bank) . Again not talking about those Hab or even small number of Sens fans that commute to the CTC and speak French.

I could drive to Maniwaki every weekend and speak English in the McDonalds up there and that in no way would constitute that town as hearing "English" lol
I don't think people in Gatineau were going to the west end of Ottawa for stuff any more or any less in the 70s, 80s or 90s, when compared to today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau