Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 03:18 PM

2 posts, read 5,226 times

Advertisements

Hello

me and my family (husband and 3 young kids) are considering moving to St. cloud area because we have friends in that area. They love it but it’s definitely a mixed bag of reviews. I know it’s a smaller town and maybe not as lively but I was hoping to get recommendations of surrounding towns that maybe have more life to it and things to do for families etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2024, 04:03 PM

27,321 posts, read 44,318,606 times
St Cloud is a bit more isolated and adjoins Kissimmee which is a mixed bag but primarily negatives, especially for families with school-age kids. To the north is the Narcoosee/Lake Hart area which is nicer but similar in that it's far from most things to do. You might consider West Melbourne which is 40 miles east closer to the coast (30-40 minute drive) where there is lower housing prices, more to do (the beaches are just 6-7 miles away), less crime and the schools are better too.

Old 04-23-2024, 06:24 PM

2 posts, read 5,226 times
thank you for the info! I will definitely look into that! We wanted to stay a little closer to our friends but finding without going like into Orlando or bit farther away we wont find what we really want

Old 04-23-2024, 09:19 PM

27,321 posts, read 44,318,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamad12345 View Post
thank you for the info! I will definitely look into that! We wanted to stay a little closer to our friends but finding without going like into Orlando or bit farther away we wont find what we really want
Trust me when I say you would see your friends a lot if you lived closer to the beach. For most in the Orlando area the beach is not a regular activity because the distance from there makes it such, versus a spur of the moment "hey, lets go to the beach". Just make sure you make room for nightly stayovers if necessary!

Old 04-24-2024, 06:52 AM

24,436 posts, read 27,152,061 times
Quote:
Hello

me and my family (husband and 3 young kids) are considering moving to St. cloud area because we have friends in that area. They love it but it’s definitely a mixed bag of reviews. I know it’s a smaller town and maybe not as lively but I was hoping to get recommendations of surrounding towns that maybe have more life to it and things to do for families etc
Lake Nona is next door and very lively, while still being quiet and charming.

Old 04-24-2024, 07:07 AM

3,539 posts, read 2,538,113 times
Quote:
Hello

See if there are jobs in the field you and/or your spouse are considering, in the location you're considering. Most of the major highways in the Orlando area are toll roads so you will be paying gas AND tolls if you choose to commute. Figure out your budget; are you going to rent or buy? House or apartment/condo? Gated community with an HOA or not gated? Private (often expensive) schools, sub-par public schools, or home-school?

If it were me and the future of my entire family was at stake, I'd get those questions answered first.

Old 04-24-2024, 08:13 AM

17,602 posts, read 15,755,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
See if there are jobs in the field you and/or your spouse are considering, in the location you're considering. Most of the major highways in the Orlando area are toll roads so you will be paying gas AND tolls if you choose to commute. Figure out your budget; are you going to rent or buy? House or apartment/condo? Gated community with an HOA or not gated? Private (often expensive) schools, sub-par public schools, or home-school?

If it were me and the future of my entire family was at stake, I'd get those questions answered first.
If one happens to work anywhere from Downtown Kissimmee to Orlando Health, Downtown Orlando, Advent, and Winter Park, the best thing one can do is live close to a Sunrail stop and use that to commute. Or live in or around the core areas. I have been in Lake Mary for almost a year (thankfully moving to Baldwin soon) and I almost exclusively used Sunrail to commute into Downtown. $5.50 round trip across two counties.

That said, if able to move anywhere and wanting to be close enough to St. Cloud without being in the middle of nowhere, I agree that Lake Nona is a great option. And probably my first choice.

You could also check out Meadow Woods (which has a Sunrail stop, with a new line coming up that will intersect the N/S one and go straight to the airport on one side, and I-Drive/Convention Center on the other, so countless entertainment in your backyard, and is also right down the road) or Hunter's Creek.

Melbourne would make zero sense unless you end up getting relocated there for work. In my opinion. Unless you plan on making beach/boating/fishing a part of your everyday life, it's a pretty boring place. Even the A1A there (which runs along the beach) is kind of soulless and bland there, and as such, isn't much on anyone in the Orlando area's radar in the way that New Smyrna, Cocoa Beach, Daytona Beach, and even Clearwater on the Gulf are.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 04-24-2024 at 08:26 AM..

Old 04-24-2024, 12:10 PM

506 posts, read 541,091 times
Depends on where you work. You want to have a straight shot to work on a highway (toll). Lake Nona, Avalon Park, Melbourne.

Old 04-24-2024, 07:37 PM

15 posts, read 13,512 times
Not sure where in MA you are relocating from but would recommend an extended vacation before committing if possible. Having lived in Boston and Orlando there is no way I would opt for the latter. Other than housing costs, which are obviously higher in MA, everything else is way more expensive. Tons of hidden costs. Terrible traffic. Terrifying drivers. High crime. I could go on…

Old 04-30-2024, 07:31 AM

2,946 posts, read 4,158,425 times
What makes St. Cloud so isolated is how long it takes to drive around East Lake Toho. It basically leaves "easy" access to Kissimmee and that's it.

10/10 would not move there unless retired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando