Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 09:43 AM

3 posts, read 6,159 times

Advertisements

Hello,

The Apopka, Clearmont, and Groveland area is where my family is interested in purchasing a house. Winding Meadows by Pulte Homes is one of the communities we look at and we like the house there. According to GreatSchools.com, the middle and high school there are rated lower than other schools in the area.
When we arrive in the area, my daughter will be in third grade. While the elementary school seems good, the middle and high schools don't look good at all.
For anyone who bought a house in the area, what other options are there for high school? Do they really have a bad reputation?

Wolf Lake Elementary (8/10)
Wolf Lake Middle (3/10)
Apopka High (3/10)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2024, 10:27 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlock1111 View Post
Hello,

The Apopka, Clearmont, and Groveland area is where my family is interested in purchasing a house. Winding Meadows by Pulte Homes is one of the communities we look at and we like the house there. According to GreatSchools.com, the middle and high school there are rated lower than other schools in the area.
When we arrive in the area, my daughter will be in third grade. While the elementary school seems good, the middle and high schools don't look good at all.
For anyone who bought a house in the area, what other options are there for high school? Do they really have a bad reputation?

Wolf Lake Middle (3/10)
Apopka High (3/10)
Greatschools ratings are a bit misleading at times because they tend to lower the rating for non-academic reasons as well. Florida has grades for each school. You can find the list of schools toward the bottom of the page.

https://www.fldoe.org/accountability...school-grades/

Old 01-11-2024, 10:42 AM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Apopka High School is... quite rough. Same with Wolf Lake Middle. Lake Brantley High is leagues better in every aspect.

If you're East of Wekiva Springs/Piedmont Wekiva, you're in Lake Brantley's zone. You're also on the Seminole County side of Apopka, which is MUCH nicer than the Orange County side.

Problem with Wolf Lake Middle is that it's attended by students living in what are notorious for being some of the worst neighborhoods in the area (Terrell Rd in Tangerine, and Willow and Holly area in Zellwood.) And again, the area served by Hermitt Smith Rd., just West of the 429. Those areas are RAMPANT with gang and drug activity. It's not too much of an issue in Elementary School, Middle School is where it becomes problematic.
Personally, I wouldn't send my kids there. The bad reputations are directly tied to their attendance zones.

Old 01-11-2024, 10:46 AM

3 posts, read 6,159 times
Thank you!

Old 03-27-2024, 12:35 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
In my looking at schools I never found Lake County to be anything special, Same as Apopka. Longwood, Lake Mary, Oviedo, Winter Springs,Windermere and Winter Park have the better schools, Boone and Dr. Phillips are decent as well.

Old 03-27-2024, 12:55 PM

490 posts, read 516,902 times
There is a proposed high school opening in 2026 or 2027 that is north of Zellwood. Are you near this? It't the blue "P" on the map. There are 3 new elementary and 2 new middle schools too.

https://cdnsm5-ss15.sharpschool.com/...2324_small.pdf

Old 04-01-2024, 09:16 AM

1,276 posts, read 1,088,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlock1111 View Post
Hello,

Wolf Lake Middle (3/10)
Apopka High (3/10)
All the schools you listed are either an A or B rating. So they are good schools.

Lake Brantley is in Seminole County and swings into higher income neighborhoods. I don't know as a parent, cause I don't use the public school system for our kids. The state pays for our kids to attend a private school. One thing the state got right where your kids should not suffer cause your parents don't live in a zone that was formally redlined many years ago. Off on a tangent. Good luck.

Old 04-01-2024, 11:06 AM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
All the schools you listed are either an A or B rating. So they are good schools.

Lake Brantley is in Seminole County and swings into higher income neighborhoods. I don't know as a parent, cause I don't use the public school system for our kids. The state pays for our kids to attend a private school. One thing the state got right where your kids should not suffer cause your parents don't live in a zone that was formally redlined many years ago. Off on a tangent. Good luck.
Brantley is great.
The other schools are in AWFUL areas. That's part of what made me bite the bullet and set the kiddos to private school. It was straight up BAD.

Old 04-05-2024, 03:54 AM

490 posts, read 516,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post

WTF?? I should not have to pay for your kids private school. You should move to a better district. Unbelievable. You probably make more than median income too.

Old 04-09-2024, 08:51 AM

1,276 posts, read 1,088,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firmbizzle View Post
WTF?? I should not have to pay for your kids private school. You should move to a better district. Unbelievable. You probably make more than median income too.
I live near Downtown Tampa, due to wanting to be near jobs and what a city offers. I don't pay for private school anymore, because they dropped the income cap for private school being paid by Floridians. Less incentive to move. The equity we have incurred because of our location to Downtown has doubled our house value.

We looked at the suburbs but it felt soul less. Also, the commute will stress you out with Florida's traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando