Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2024, 05:46 PM

251 posts, read 235,941 times

Advertisements

I can sure use some advice

We found a what seems to be a well cared for 1981 mobile home, it is in a well-known co-op community in Polk County, Florida.We like everything about the home. Except it looks a bit dated inside (very 80s) But tastefully done & we can fix that over time. No odd smells & what we know is the older couple have had it for nearly 30 years and passed away.
The home is now in the hands of relatives that live 1,500 miles away and know very little of what has been done to this home. It comes fully furnished with some very nice furniture and electronics. It SEEMS who ever had it took care of it.
I did not look at the plumbing to see if it had shut off valves I forgot to check that , I suspect it may have updated plumbing. I would get a complete inspection before I buy it. We offered to buy for $110,000 all in, I think that's fair. It's 43 years old BUT they will not consider that, nope!!! $140,000 is the lowest so, If we want it the price is $140,000
The home will come with a 12-month warranty, who even knows if that's worth anything?? The vents in the house come up from the floor. Is there anything to be concerned with having ac vents on the floor and not the ceiling.
I am SHOCKED at home prices. New manufactured homes set on land or in a co-op are running $225,000 and up. Those prices make this home attractive.
What do I need to look for IF we decide to spend that kind of money on what seems to be a very nice older home.

Here is what we KNOW was done,
new HVAC 6 years ago,
roof replaced in 2012,
new windows, all of them
new kitchen and dining room laminate floors & they feel very solid.New refrigerator and a fancy big clothes washer dryer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2024, 10:18 AM

251 posts, read 235,941 times
bump

Old 01-16-2024, 06:56 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
My only concern not mentioned is insulation, even though it has a newer HVAC system it won't mean a lot minus adequate insulation. The new windows will help but would worry more about what is in the ceiling. Perhaps contact the local electric provider and see what the average bill has been.

Old 01-16-2024, 02:39 PM

1,852 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc1022 View Post
a well cared for 1981 mobile home

There is no such thing.

Old 01-16-2024, 03:14 PM

3,428 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Pretty amazing you found a mobile home only 2 years older than the one you found in Tampa, in a co-op just like the one you found in Tampa, and the asking price is the same $140,000 that the owner of the one in Tampa wanted, and they won't negotiate on price, just like the owners in Tampa wasn't willing to negotiate on price.

Were the answers you got in the Tampa thread not useful to you?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/tamp...but-leary.html

Here's more info, I don't think it was covered in the other thread:

1. Mobile homes had -slightly- lower standards than the same homes built after 1985 and called manufactured homes.
2. You need to check to make sure the grey pipes have been replaced.
3. You want to know if the home is "tied down."
4. You'll want to see the co-op documentation - deed restrictions, maintenance requirements, yearly fees, whether or not the docs state that those fees can/can't be raised more than "x" percent per year, etc. etc.

Old 01-16-2024, 03:31 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
There is no such thing.
That's not true. My neighbor lives in a 1978 mobile home and it's been very well taken care of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: