Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 05:33 PM

490 posts, read 517,248 times

Advertisements

Winter Park or Dr. Phillips checks off everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 04:17 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,162,586 times
Are there any 55+ active adult communities in/around Dr Phillips?

Old 01-19-2021, 04:29 PM

141 posts, read 115,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hts View Post
Any concerns about airplane noise at Lake Nona? It looks to me to be directly under incoming/outgoing flight plans to MCO.

There should absolutely be concerns. Airplane noise is a reality at the southern end of Lake Nona and especially in the Laureate Park neighborhood. Unless the wind is from the north as during a cold front planes depart to the south and are turned directly over Laureate Park. During busy times this can mean airplanes overhead several times per hour from 6AM - close to midnight.

Old 01-19-2021, 06:19 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,162,586 times
That's what I thought. I really don't like airplanes around my house all the time (the sight or the sound). While Lake Nona looks great on paper (gigabit community, mixed-use, they have that revolutionary VTOL thing, etc.), the fact that it's likely directly in the flight path either landing or taking off (depending on weather conditions) may very well be a show-stopper for me--thx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lessman View Post
There should absolutely be concerns. Airplane noise is a reality at the southern end of Lake Nona and especially in the Laureate Park neighborhood. Unless the wind is from the north as during a cold front planes depart to the south and are turned directly over Laureate Park. During busy times this can mean airplanes overhead several times per hour from 6AM - close to midnight.

Old 01-19-2021, 06:25 PM

141 posts, read 115,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hts View Post
That's what I thought. I really don't like airplanes around my house all the time (the sight or the sound). While Lake Nona looks great on paper (gigabit community, mixed-use, they have that revolutionary VTOL thing, etc.), the fact that it's likely directly in the flight path either landing or taking off (depending on weather conditions) may very well be a show-stopper for me--thx.

No problem. I wish someone had warned me. I'm trying to live with the noise because the neighborhood is so great otherwise, and holds so much promise, but I may end up joining the 2 years and out club.

Old 01-23-2021, 06:36 PM

54 posts, read 55,443 times
I’d say Dr Phillips fits your criteria the best of all choices here.
What is your budget?

Old 10-30-2023, 02:49 AM

26 posts, read 83,860 times
I would love to revive this board from a couple of years back!

I am curious what the OP ended up doing, if they did end up relocating. Please tell us if you are happy with whatever your decision was.

Curious also, if Roger Lessman ended up staying put or getting out in 2 years as stated.

My interest in this board is because I was thinking about taking a job where I need to have a tolerable commute to the airport, but I do not want to hear the planes at their loudest at 6AM - Midnight!

I am near Winter Park now, and I do hear planes overhead, but faintly. They are not at an intolerable decibel...because they are not as close to landing, just getting ready to!

We were also considering Lake Nona, or it's outskirts. Something with a commute that is convenient, but not in the direct fly zone!

After reading this entire thread, I am hoping more stores / businesses have come to the area, since someone mentioned there's not much in the area.

Any input would be appreciated!

Old 10-31-2023, 07:07 AM

490 posts, read 517,248 times
Try Waterford Lakes (University HS), Avalon Park (Timber Creek) or South Seminole county just northing of UCF (zoned for Hagerty High school). It's a straight shot to downtown, Colonial area. Good shopping and great for families. Lake Nona and St. Cloud are fine but they are a bit out there. Lake Nona is expensive. Much better value in Waterford and more things to do.

Old 11-03-2023, 06:24 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,123,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamachka View Post
I am near Winter Park now, and I do hear planes overhead, but faintly. They are not at an intolerable decibel...because they are not as close to landing, just getting ready to!

We were also considering Lake Nona, or it's outskirts. Something with a commute that is convenient, but not in the direct fly zone!

After reading this entire thread, I am hoping more stores / businesses have come to the area, since someone mentioned there's not much in the area.

Any input would be appreciated!
I'm in the Baldwin Park area near Bennett. The planes are frequent and loud. Not as big of a deal in the summer but now, with the windows open, it can get annoying, especially with the bigger cargo planes. GOAA (the airport authority) publishes noise cones on their website but, from experience, I think you should add 10dB to whatever they're saying.

I was at a friends house on the other side of Audubon Park, just over a half mile from where I live. We were sitting outside with some beers and I was watching the planes flying over my house but then it dawned on me that I could barely hear them. So, at least in that neck of the woods, I'd say that if you're west of Winter Park Rd/Primrose you'd be mostly fine. Going north it's harder to draw a sharp line because of the lakes but my guess is that the cut off is somewhere between Glenridge and Fairbanks/University depending on your personal tolerance.

Old 11-03-2023, 10:31 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,935,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
I'm in the Baldwin Park area near Bennett. The planes are frequent and loud. Not as big of a deal in the summer but now, with the windows open, it can get annoying, especially with the bigger cargo planes. GOAA (the airport authority) publishes noise cones on their website but, from experience, I think you should add 10dB to whatever they're saying.

I was at a friends house on the other side of Audubon Park, just over a half mile from where I live. We were sitting outside with some beers and I was watching the planes flying over my house but then it dawned on me that I could barely hear them. So, at least in that neck of the woods, I'd say that if you're west of Winter Park Rd/Primrose you'd be mostly fine. Going north it's harder to draw a sharp line because of the lakes but my guess is that the cut off is somewhere between Glenridge and Fairbanks/University depending on your personal tolerance.
Buy noise csncelling headphones. Bose makes some of the best. When airplane noise gets annoying, don't close the windows and wear the headphones and turn on the noise cancelling feature. If you need more quiet, combine the noise canceling headphones with ear plugs.

This may not be ideal if you are a mom with young kids (unless you're a stay at home mom and they are in school) or a needy husband/boyfriend or both. lol

But you can keep the windows open and enjoy further piece and quite. The other plus is that with Bose (you can probably do this with others) you can connect them to your cellphone. Any calls, email, message, etc will make a sound in your headphones. You can even answer calls via your headphones instead of the cellphone. Very nice convenience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando