Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 10:21 AM

3,068 posts, read 1,679,759 times

Advertisements

I guess I'm the lone pariah who isn't bothered by the daylight savings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2023, 03:31 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Everybody Talks About Daylight Saving Time, But Nobody Does Anything About It.
They're all too busy capitalizing every word

Old 12-02-2023, 08:01 AM

2,660 posts, read 3,856,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
Scientists say we should be on permanent standard time, so I support that.

Who are these "scientists" you speak of?

Old 12-05-2023, 09:01 PM

13,062 posts, read 7,497,585 times
I see that 12/04/2023 that Portland's hi temp was 65... That's weather for shorts and flip-flops. If we were on DST, Portland would enjoy an hour more of daylight... if only the clouds move out-of-the-way.

Old 12-06-2023, 11:15 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Who are these "scientists" you speak of?
"Scientists" only means two or more. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find a couple of scientists who advocate standard time.

Just guessing, but I suspect that "scientists" are pretty evenly divided among all standard time, all daylight savings time, and keep both. You could easily find scientists who support any clock plan that you want supported. But to me, it doesn't seem much like a "science" question, so the "scientists" opinion doesn't really carry any more weight than any other person's.

Old 12-06-2023, 11:43 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,103,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
I see that 12/04/2023 that Portland's hi temp was 65... That's weather for shorts and flip-flops. If we were on DST, Portland would enjoy an hour more of daylight... if only the clouds move out-of-the-way.
The number of hours of daylight doesn't change from standard to daylight savings time. The question is whether you want your daylight earlier in the morning or later at night?

Old 12-06-2023, 02:17 PM

5,457 posts, read 8,171,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
The number of hours of daylight doesn't change from standard to daylight savings time. The question is whether you want your daylight earlier in the morning or later at night?
Gosh!! I didn't know that. Thank you for informing me.

Old 12-09-2023, 08:56 AM

6,853 posts, read 4,850,706 times
I want to stay on permanent standard time. I think it should at least be put to a vote. My side would probably lose * shrug.

Old 12-28-2023, 08:23 PM

334 posts, read 421,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
"Scientists" only means two or more. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find a couple of scientists who advocate standard time.

Just guessing, but I suspect that "scientists" are pretty evenly divided among all standard time, all daylight savings time, and keep both. You could easily find scientists who support any clock plan that you want supported. But to me, it doesn't seem much like a "science" question, so the "scientists" opinion doesn't really carry any more weight than any other person's.
There's plenty there to science, dealing with circadian rhythms and whatnot. I don't have to understand it all to trust the word of people that study this stuff for a living, and who don't have a financial interest in any outcome.

Think about it, humans evolved with standard time, and have lived in standard time the vast majority of their existence.

If you want the opinion of a neuroscientist, I believe this was probably linked earlier in the thread: https://thehill.com/opinion/healthca...standard-time/

And no, scientists aren't evenly divided on this. None of them think the time change is a good idea, and as I get older, I agree. My body doesn't adjust well to the time change. Hell, per that link, polling even says a plurality of Americans support full time standard time.

Old 12-29-2023, 12:44 AM

5,457 posts, read 8,171,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post

Think about it, humans evolved with standard time, and have lived in standard time the vast majority of their existence.
Wrong.

For most of the long evolutionary history of humans, there was no standard time. Clocks didn’t even exist. People didn’t know “what time is it?” First calendars came about which helped agriculture, and eventually sundials were invented, but few humans had them. For most of human history, people just sensed that summers meant longer daylight and winters less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: