Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2023, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,081 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My Gf and I have the opportunity to move to Oregon in the next year or two.

I would like to do my research now so that we can visit a couple places and see what we like best before we move.

My girlfriend loves the beach and my job requires us to live anywhere in the western US, so this is a necessity.

We are are in our mid-twenties and enjoy going out at night and meeting people our age.

We love the outdoors, and I am an avid golfer.

Outside of these metrics, we are really just looking for a fun beach town with a lot of young people.

Let me know where you guys think the best place to reside would be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2023, 02:40 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,777,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarab24 View Post

Outside of these metrics, we are really just looking for a fun beach town with a lot of young people.

Let me know where you guys think the best place to reside would be
California, maybe? Oregon "beach towns" are full of retirees. There is no such thing as a "fun beach town with plenty of young people" in Oregon.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 10-20-2023 at 03:22 PM..

Old 10-20-2023, 04:41 PM

5,462 posts, read 7,759,493 times
Honestly, if you want a social life with other young people and want to golf then you should move to Bend and just take weekend trips to the beach.

That is what most young remote-work people your age are doing around here. And it is what my daughter has done even though she is an avid surfer. She tried Pacific City and gave up and now lives in Bend. She's a mid-20s remote work professional who can live anywhere also.

Old 10-21-2023, 08:02 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,116,749 times
I agree with the other two posters... the Coast likely isn't the best place to live in your demographic. Unless, you want to associate with young hippie types that are working to get high, pay the rent, hang out, etc. If that is your crowd then pick any town between Seaside and Yachats. You will also get lots of young people/couples making day and weekend trips to the beach. If you want to golf regularly then get good rain/wet play gear. Even if it's not actively raining the courses are often very wet. I wore rain pants a lot when I lived in the area.

If you like lots of sun and well groomed courses, then the Bend, Redmond, and Prineville triangle would be a good place to look. The Beach is just a few hours away. All three get more snow than the coast, but much, much less rain, fog and gloom. You also have many Portland suburbs to explore. Our remote working son and young family are planning to move from Denver to Hillsboro/Beaverton next summer.

Old 10-21-2023, 11:44 AM

32,669 posts, read 48,129,403 times
The Oregon coast does not have "beach towns". The water is too cold to swim and the beach itself is cold and windy and more often than not, the people enjoying the beach are wearing coats.

The Oregon coast is good for ocean sports. A great place to fish and crab and clam, and if you are a good sailor and your boat is big enough, it is a fun place for boating. The beaches are wonderful for beach combing and driftwood collecting. Not for swimming, or sunbathing, or playing volley ball.

I really should find that bank ad that shows the couple on the Oregon beach trying to play frisbee and the frisbee flies away on the wind. If I knew where that was, I'd play it for everyone asking about moving to the Oregon coast.

Old 10-21-2023, 02:32 PM

15,586 posts, read 40,468,715 times
Beach Towns are in California and the east coast.

I agree that you should visit Bend and forget about the coast in Oregon as a place to live. They are all smaller tourist towns or working towns. They don't have a "scene" for going out at night.

Old 10-21-2023, 03:07 PM

They have bingo every Wednesday night at The Beachcomber in Florence. I think it starts at 7:30.

Old 10-21-2023, 03:11 PM

8,506 posts, read 8,818,868 times
The "beach towns" (if you want to call them that) with the clear youngest average age are Astoria, Coos Bay and especially Tillamook. Virtually every place else has average age way above national average. Tillamook is slightly below national average on age, the other two just moderately above.

But of course the demographic distribution still will generally have mild to moderate numbers of 20 somethings, often in service jobs or family businesses.

Old 10-21-2023, 04:33 PM

I wonder why Tillamook's average age is lower than the national. It smells and everything there, and it isn't even next to the ocean.

Old 10-21-2023, 06:36 PM

8,506 posts, read 8,818,868 times
Employment at the cheese factories is probably part of it. And if the young people are having kids that has an even bigger impact on average age.

16% of population are 21-34..

Overall the rate of adults with kids is about 10% above national average. But twice as many of them are single with kids.

10% of the jobs are in manufactoring.

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-21-2023 at 06:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon