Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 02:24 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Much better red wines..... it is a push on white wines.

...butting in here to see if you have tried King Estate 2018 Pinot Gris?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2020, 01:31 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
If you are trying to decide which state to move to, the Washington school system has a really good reputation. Oregon schools do not.

Old 09-23-2020, 12:13 AM

6,373 posts, read 4,985,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I like the way the urban growth boundary protects agriculture and limits urban sprawl.
This. It's really visible when you look at the Portland metro on Google Maps: the Washington part of the metro has like 3/4 the area of the Oregon portion, but only 1/4 the population. The Seattle metro has a lot of that borderline-rural sprawl too, despite our reputation for being forward-thinking on density.

Old 10-07-2020, 10:13 PM

256 posts, read 114,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
I hope it all works out really. It makes sense for a larger, denser city to better use and build its light rail, especially a city flush with tech. cash. I hear I-5 daily commute is practically impossible right now.
If by 'now' you mean pre-Covid, then yes, the Seattle commute was atrocious. Now I would say it's annoying.

Last edited by LogaKoga; 10-07-2020 at 11:06 PM..

Old 11-20-2020, 12:13 PM

199 posts, read 217,163 times
Considering how many cars with WA plates I see on Oregon roads on weekends, our parks and beaches must be miles and miles ahead of theirs.

Old 11-24-2020, 01:20 PM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Deschutes Brewery's Black Butte Porter. And you don't have Inslee. Though Brown might be a tie.

Old 11-25-2020, 11:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregon911 View Post
Considering how many cars with WA plates I see on Oregon roads on weekends, our parks and beaches must be miles and miles ahead of theirs.
not to fear... Oregon is up to Same ole tricks... (This did not work out so well in the 1970's... reciprocal charges and a LOT of animosity.
Oregon State Parks adds 30% charge to non-state campers
https://idahonews.com/news/local/ore...-state-campers

Same era as McCall... "Come visit, spend your money, DON'T STAY!!!"
Former Governor Tom McCall's Message to Visitors | Northwest News | chronline.com

https://www.ohs.org/education/tom-mc...gon/quotes.cfm

Old 12-01-2020, 06:52 PM

85 posts, read 69,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
Seattle has really no excuse other than themselves for not having a robust light rail by now.

... other than the fact that Seattle has much more tolerable extreme weather both in summer and winter, relative to Portland. (The real mountains to the west, and no Columbia Gorge bringing true winter through Seattle's back door make it so).

Waiting outside in the mist for the bus isn't such a grand inconvenience.

Old 12-11-2020, 05:10 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If you are trying to decide which state to move to, the Washington school system has a really good reputation. Oregon schools do not.

Second this. But I will also add this: One thing going for Oregon that we did not experience in Washington was that the schools in Oregon that our kids went to seemed to be more well-rounded, with a real desire for kids to have "down time" to be kids and spend time with family and pursue interests outside of school. So if that is important to a family, they might prefer Oregon schools. The Washington schools we experienced... they were academically rigorous and at times even intense, leaving little time for outside interests. If our kids weren't in school, they were home doing homework, reading through the mandatory book lists (which our Oregon schools never had), or working on school projects, and it often times felt as if our entire lives revolved around the school. Which some families seemed to appreciate, such as the families that came from overseas who are used to that sort of educational model. I would say one of the differences that we experienced was... Oregon was sort of "Meh - the kids will learn if they choose to..." while the Washington schools we experienced were more "These are the expectations and you will not succeed (reads: you will fail) if you do not work to achieve them." The attitudes and cultures or mindsets were just very different. I have to say my kids were much happier with Oregon schools, but that is probably because the Washington schools kicked their butts (in a good way).

Old 12-11-2020, 09:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Second this. But I will also add this: One thing going for Oregon that we did not experience in Washington was that the schools in Oregon that our kids went to seemed to be more well-rounded, with a real desire for kids to have "down time" ...one of the differences that we experienced was... Oregon was sort of "Meh - the kids will learn if they choose to..." while the Washington schools we experienced were more "These are the expectations and you will not succeed (reads: you will fail) if you do not work to achieve them." The attitudes and cultures or mindsets were just very different. I have to say my kids were much happier with Oregon schools, but that is probably because the Washington schools kicked their butts (in a good way).
Schools are definitely different, but also very much depends on the specific location. Many rural WA schools are lax, many Oregon schools (especially in tech or college towns) can be rigorous.

Free FT college instead of burning daylight hanging out at a public High School (WA), is a plus for over 10,000 students / yr since 1993. This was not rigorous for our kids, it allowed them flexibility, such as being ski instructors and a wide variety of interesting jobs and opportunities during normal HS hours.

They got their AA and went to U as full Jr status (pre-age 18).

Saved them a bundle of college expenses too.

+ 2 yrs earlier into workforce / retirement savings.

The kids still use Oregon Coast for week retreats, tho not Oregon based living or employment. They also use Canada and Alaska for coastal extravaganzas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon