Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 12:23 AM

346 posts, read 308,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammythebull View Post
I've lived in Lincoln for over 50 years so I can bring a different perspective here. Personally, I wouldn't recommend Lincoln or Omaha. Nebraska is a very conservative state, but sure there are pockets of more tolerant individuals and groups, both in Lincoln and Omaha. Lincoln and Omaha somewhat similar as far as quality of life, restaurants, etc., with Omaha the nod for more "big city" things to do (e.g. arts events, the Omaha Zoo, botanical gardens, major airport etc.), although Lincoln does attract some arts, concerts, etc. (Lied Center, Arena, Pinewood Bowl). Keep in mind, if you live in Lincoln, Omaha is only about an hour away. Traffic-wise, it's no contest, Lincoln wins hands down, with no need to get on any freeway to get across town, and even then only taking 15-30 minutes (depending on times, etc.). Keep in mind, Lincoln is a big college town, so summers are much better than when school is in session, at least close to downtown.

While the politics are conservative, taxes sure aren't. Property taxes run over 2%, there's a state income tax, sales tax, etc. Very high tax state. Many say that translates into good schools, but I don't necessarily agree with that.

Good luck with your decision. My advice would be to avoid Nebraska alltogether.

The people who want to avoid NE though and places like that are the ones who would love Oregon or Colorado, and i dont to both of those so I cant take that too serious at this point. Ill just find out.

And someone also said Lincoln had worse traffic.

Also if you lived there 50 years, it must not be that bad in NE lol. Wouldnt u have got out long ago?? I dont get it man.

50 years there for you is a lot higher than Portlands average residents and maybe even the state of Oregon that people last there too. Might even be above CO too. Damn man. NE must not be so bad lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2020, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
I recently realized OP was probably more concerned about long term overall cost of living being better in NE versus TX. I hope OP will return and clarify.

I think I did, just lemme know if I did or not. Omaha Id imagine to be cheaper than Dallas although both states I know have high property tax. What about sales and income tax?

Old 07-17-2020, 12:37 AM

10 posts, read 8,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLeggedOne View Post
Those people u dealt with might hate Colorado if u told them where u were from. Might be it because they dont have Californication going last I checked so it might be a rival thing with them as Denver isnt far and its expensive to live now.
I don't think that was the reason. They were pretty clearly just people who didn't care about doing a good job. Before that, I also looked into a few other regulatory things related to my business (won't bore you with the details), and Omaha/Douglas County had severely antiquated systems and policies. I'm talking 25 to 30 years behind the times. These are things that I know because I've owned a business for that long and deal with these systems regularly. It was kind of shocking.

I had a somewhat positive impression of Omaha before that. The housing seems affordable and the climate's not terrible. But my initial impressions of their local government - both the systems and the people - made any consideration of relocation a no-go for me.

Note that this is just about Omaha. I haven't looked into Lincoln, so it may be well run.

Good luck to you wherever you end up.

Old 07-17-2020, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply1 View Post
I hope you'll check out both places first. I grew up around Omaha and lived in Des Moines for some time, and you will be moving to a very red state in either Nebraska or less so Texas. It might be a bit of a cultural shock for trans type woman coming from Portland.

You can't compare Dallas and Omaha at all, they are completely different. Dallas is of course much bigger and is almost 3 times larger than Portland MSA.

You can calculate tax differences here:
https://smartasset.com/taxes/nebraska-tax-calculator

Oregon income taxes are high and housing is high.

Well ever think Im just a breed of person that just doesnt fit Portlands dna at all, despite what they claim to accept. I dont smoke weed also. In fact I've said how I am ok with moving to an anti weed state because I dont like what it brings to a place when dispensaries start showing up for recreational weed. So that bugs me, people are doped up more than average. and I dont see a value sstem in place. Adults act like kids like I said, in a not so good way, and then u got the kids too so its double trouble then triple if u add the intense weirdo hipsters who need tons of tattoos to seem like something else if u go in another direction. Cliques with most people no matter what side thei're on.

This is a place of extremes, theres no rest at all from it. It hits u from all angles, conservative, liberal, it matters little.. both dont act grown up in their own right. I see them all the same. Trump or no trump, weed smokers or not.

Then u got no sales tax but with an income tax and housing, prop taxes so u get hit hard. So true. People want their cake and eat it too with no sales tax but want all these programs so it cuts into the income tax and others. This is not a cheap place if it ever was. I wasnt here for it.

Im not full into a transition but I do want to live it more full than I can now once I move. Who would think I'd be in Oregon as a trans aspiring person looking to move to Nebraska but IT HAPPENS with some people. But it should tell a lot about some people, esp those I might live with like mi stepdad whos lived here awhile, but id call him quite conservative too and he dont wanna live in Nebraska or the south lol and ive suspected he wouldnt agree with what I wanna do and how I want to live. and sometimes u can find raging conservatives who want their legal weed too so the wont come to NE to live or places like it. But less progressive people are in Portland then the media wants to make it seem. I feel a lot of times an air like its rigid in a lot of places I went, tight as a drum, tension so thick u can cut it with a knife, even in Portland, let alone kiddy land further from the city, darkness coats the whole thing at least to me. The protests tell it all, the mad people when u see that on the news.

Dallas Id see as better than Portland for sure even with traffic but long term it might indeed take too long to get places as a lot of people are going to TX now. That was a concern. Someone told me it might not be a good idea to do who sees life there. Its getting too full he told me even if he likes some of it. Its gonna get too full soon if it hasnt.

Old 07-18-2020, 12:20 PM

561 posts, read 514,885 times
Quote:
I think I did, just lemme know if I did or not. Omaha Id imagine to be cheaper than Dallas although both states I know have high property tax. What about sales and income tax?
As a person who has lived in both cities, Dallas is a tad more expensive overall than Omaha. That said, I enjoy both cities and currently live in Omaha.

Most on this thread who’ve cast a wet blanket over your potential Omaha move either have never lived here, spent little time here, or did some “research” years ago and are giving you outdated/inaccurate information about the Omaha city and metro.

Omaha is a metro of 1 million, it has traffic issues (much worse than Lincoln, NE which is much smaller) but nothing like what you’ll find in Dallas which is much larger.

For everything you’ll need and want in a real city, Omaha ticks all the boxes you’re looking for. I think if you move here, you will be very satisfied with your decision.

Old 07-18-2020, 03:13 PM

12 posts, read 19,550 times
We have lived in Omaha for 31 years and love it because we travel a lot and try to drive most times. It also has an airport that has pretty good ticket prices. For driving we are centrally located to Denver, Chicago, Minneapolis, Kansas City, St Louis, and Des Moines. Plus the cost of housing is relatively cheap compared to many other cities. We are in our 70's so I can't comment on night life. At our age a large party consists of three people at the most.

We have been to all the major cities in the U.S. and many international cities. We are always happy to get back to Omaha where the pace is slower than most other cities.

My recommendation is for Omaha. One drawback that I haven't read is that we are probably # 1 in potholes.

Old 07-18-2020, 06:15 PM

445 posts, read 219,969 times
Quote:
The people who want to avoid NE though and places like that are the ones who would love Oregon or Colorado, and i dont to both of those so I cant take that too serious at this point. Ill just find out.

And someone also said Lincoln had worse traffic.

Also if you lived there 50 years, it must not be that bad in NE lol. Wouldnt u have got out long ago?? I dont get it man.

50 years there for you is a lot higher than Portlands average residents and maybe even the state of Oregon that people last there too. Might even be above CO too. Damn man. NE must not be so bad lol.

Well, since you asked, my recommendation was for you, not for me. For the record, I do want to leave Lincoln but unfortunately I'm a divorced person with kids in school, so if I move I'm abandoning them, which I don't want to do. Traffic depends on one's perspective, but the posters are correct that Lincoln is built on a grid system without any freeways. Traffic around town varies from between 35 and 45 mph, whereas Omaha is build around I-80, 680, 480 freeways. As you mentioned in your posts about phony hipsters - yes they are all over, but you are correct that there are more limited numbers both in Lincoln and Omaha.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:07 PM

1,066 posts, read 892,354 times
Good luck op! It's difficult to discern what you actually want. There's a lot of white bread suburban around Omaha, just like most cities. I suspect it doesn't matter where you go, you'll probably not like it too much.

Old 08-03-2020, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffcreek View Post
We have lived in Omaha for 31 years and love it because we travel a lot and try to drive most times. It also has an airport that has pretty good ticket prices. For driving we are centrally located to Denver, Chicago, Minneapolis, Kansas City, St Louis, and Des Moines. Plus the cost of housing is relatively cheap compared to many other cities. We are in our 70's so I can't comment on night life. At our age a large party consists of three people at the most.

We have been to all the major cities in the U.S. and many international cities. We are always happy to get back to Omaha where the pace is slower than most other cities.

My recommendation is for Omaha. One drawback that I haven't read is that we are probably # 1 in potholes.

I heard about them and seen examples, but I also didnt see a ton at the same time when I looked.

Old 08-03-2020, 06:51 PM

10,356 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
I heard about them and seen examples, but I also didnt see a ton at the same time when I looked.
You should have come two winters ago! The potholes were so bad I hesitated to drive to less familiar parts of town where I didn't have the location of the numerous large potholes memorized, lest I hit one at speed and wreck my car. Fortunately most of the worst of the holes have now been filled in now, but that late winter/spring was terrible!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: