Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 10:14 AM

3,408 posts, read 1,901,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
This statement is the opposite of some studies. I've always looked at Omaha as being a very economical place to live basing average pay vs cost of living. Only true negative is taxes are a little high, especially compared to neighboring Iowa and South Dakota.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/27/us-c...of-living.html

Your statement COMING FROM THE COAST tells me you showed up with an affliction known as a Superiority Complex. Very common. For the locals to appear as aggressive hicks one can only wonder how you presented yourself as a first impression.

I will agree with you that the 2 cities of Omaha & Minneapolis are not very similar. However, you can't compare the Twin Cities to Chicago. That's two cities with very little in common as to the lifestyle, the people living there, and general makeup of each metro.
Reminds me of when I used to live in Atlanta, and folks moving in from everywhere else, mainly the North, would tell me how backward our schools are, how bad the traffic is, how people don't know how to drive, how bad the crime is, how corrupt our good old politicians are, and what's to like about grits? I said if it's so bad here, you should just turn around and go right back to where you came from. That ended the dialog. Apparently, Atlanta, and Georgia in general, are better that where they came from because metro Atlanta is still booming!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2022, 10:20 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progress 1 View Post
Minneapolis really has taking a dive in quality of life. The murder rate is up as Minneapolis had 97 homicides im 2021 compared to omaha having 32 and omaha having over 60,000 more people than Minneapolis. Minneapolis is also way overpriced. I moved away and left right before all the bs. Glad I left and never going back. I'd choose Omaha any day of the week over Minneapolis.
Minneapolis St. Paul metro has plenty of high end wealthy and educated suburban areas with plenty of lakes and woods, a combination you'll never find in Omaha.

Old 07-07-2022, 09:20 PM

121 posts, read 96,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Minneapolis St. Paul metro has plenty of high end wealthy and educated suburban areas with plenty of lakes and woods, a combination you'll never find in Omaha.

Omaha is coming up though.
5-10 years it will be about neck and neck with Minneapolis.

Old 07-08-2022, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Not remotely in terms of built environment setting. You can't replicate woods and lakes of Minnesota in Omaha in any remotely similar fashion.

Have you ever even driven through most of the wealthier areas of Lake Minnetonka west of the Twin Cities?

Old 07-08-2022, 03:16 PM

121 posts, read 96,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Not remotely in terms of built environment setting. You can't replicate woods and lakes of Minnesota in Omaha in any remotely similar fashion.

Have you ever even driven through most of the wealthier areas of Lake Minnetonka west of the Twin Cities?
I grew up in Minneapolis. I've driven through some of the western suburbs. I know there are many very wealthy neighborhoods. I'd still rather raise a family and live in Omaha. Minneapolis is not that great. I don't know why people think it is. I'm from there. I left and couldn't be happier.

Old 07-08-2022, 06:09 PM

15 posts, read 24,456 times
Quote:
Baloney.

Old 07-09-2022, 01:02 AM

Quote:
I grew up in Minneapolis. I've driven through some of the western suburbs. I know there are many very wealthy neighborhoods. I'd still rather raise a family and live in Omaha. Minneapolis is not that great. I don't know why people think it is. I'm from there. I left and couldn't be happier.
That’s your opinion, and none of those towns along Lake Minnetonka are actually part of the Minneapolis city limits. You already know that, though..

Old 08-07-2022, 12:39 AM

577 posts, read 560,509 times
On the north side of Omaha just outside the city (along the interstate basically), it's very hilly wooded, far moreso than Minneapolis. If they wanted to, that area could be developed into something cool. Same for the Iowa side of the river.

I've been to both cities and where Omaha dominates Minneapolis is on safety. Downtown and midtown Omaha feel very safe and clean. I was amazed. In contrast, when I was in downtown Minneapolis, I didn't feel particularly safe. In the Lake and Lyndale area where are the restaurants and bars are located, that's where the riots occurred. That area also didn't feel as safe as Omaha to me.

I thought Linden Hills, Macalester-Groveland, 50th and France, and Lake Minnetonka were all lovely and beautiful. Omaha has some wonderful neighborhoods also (Dundee, Happy Hollow, Fairacres, Benson, Field Club).

Something I found endearing about Omaha is that there aren't many suburbs. Everything way out into suburbia is almost all the city of Omaha, with the same street grid with major streets every mile and same city plan (with a grid of divided four-lane streets and shopping centers at the all major intersections), which somehow gave me the feeling of being in Germany, where everything is clean and planned. Even in the suburbs you can take a bus somewhere and it's predictable.

I found that charming because Omaha has to be one of the few places in the U.S. in which the main city is still growing And it has actual city planning. Like..planning, what's that! Suburbs maybe, but the main city? I was like wow, I'm not in Kansas anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha