Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2022, 12:06 PM

2 posts, read 2,454 times

Advertisements

I will try to keep this brief.
I used to frequent this site a lot years ago when I was house hunting. Back then I was mostly investigating Nebraska, did much reading about Oklahoma & finally wound up here.
The one thing that has been the most difficult to understand here are the vehicle laws. You can read them on the DPS & OTC websites, but so much is left unexplained.
My specific question for today has to do with the (recently changed) registration system.
We have 2 vehicles, neither are currently in operating condition. One is "black-tagged", the other I cannot consider reliable as I have lost the ability to maintain it due to health problems & I am considering the option of "B-tagging" it as well. They are both due by end of month.
The question is: it is possible that neither vehicle may ever be run again & there is a strong possibility that one or both of us may be deceased before they are ever sold, traded or junked...simply to say, never used again.
Is it worth maintaining registration on them? Will there be any IMMEDIATE negative consequences if we simply stop paying for useless vehicles? Or is it more like CA (my wife's home state) where nothing is due until we decide to use them again or transfer the ownership?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2022, 01:11 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Are you also maintaining insurance coverage on the somewhat usable vehicle? Maybe that expense should play into your decision about renewing the registration. You aren't using either of them now so that begs the question whether you even need to own a car. Why not sell/junk/donate both of them and make the question moot?

Old 09-27-2022, 02:06 PM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Call your local tag office and explain your situation. They will be able to give you the official guidance you need.

Old 09-29-2022, 11:00 AM

2 posts, read 2,454 times
Thanks for the responses!
No they are not insured & quite likely will never be run again. But despite reading the laws, I really don't know how a typical sale goes here in OK (for instance, says "bill of sale must be notarized" yet fails to tell you how this happens. Done by the seller? Buyer? both? Before the sale? After the sale? At the time of sale? Do all have to be present?)
Anyway, my wife is reluctant to let her motorcycle go. My opinion is that it is in poor shape mechanically (age + lack of maintenance) & she would be better off buying another. I, on the other hand will not be using any vehicles since I am giving up my license & intending on seeing if I can convert to a state ID.
I was just hoping someone knew or had heard of what happens if someone fails to register. I am quite reluctant to keep paying out on vehicles unlikely to ever be used again. Even if I knew about selling I need to make a quick decision tomorrow being the last of the month.

Old 10-10-2022, 06:42 AM

1,810 posts, read 897,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2farGone_88 View Post
Thanks for the responses!
No they are not insured & quite likely will never be run again. But despite reading the laws, I really don't know how a typical sale goes here in OK (for instance, says "bill of sale must be notarized" yet fails to tell you how this happens. Done by the seller? Buyer? both? Before the sale? After the sale? At the time of sale? Do all have to be present?)
Anyway, my wife is reluctant to let her motorcycle go. My opinion is that it is in poor shape mechanically (age + lack of maintenance) & she would be better off buying another. I, on the other hand will not be using any vehicles since I am giving up my license & intending on seeing if I can convert to a state ID.
I was just hoping someone knew or had heard of what happens if someone fails to register. I am quite reluctant to keep paying out on vehicles unlikely to ever be used again. Even if I knew about selling I need to make a quick decision tomorrow being the last of the month.
If you don’t keep the registration current or black tagged then a potential buyer would have to pay the back taxes and penalties in order to bring the registration up to date. Many buyers will walk away from a deal like that. Then your only option is to sell the vehicles to a junk car buyer. Right now junk cars are bringing between $300 to $500 in OKC.

Old 10-11-2022, 08:33 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Default In California It's a Non-Operational Vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2farGone_88 View Post
I will try to keep this brief.
I used to frequent this site a lot years ago when I was house hunting. Back then I was mostly investigating Nebraska, did much reading about Oklahoma & finally wound up here.
The one thing that has been the most difficult to understand here are the vehicle laws. You can read them on the DPS & OTC websites, but so much is left unexplained.
My specific question for today has to do with the (recently changed) registration system.
We have 2 vehicles, neither are currently in operating condition. One is "black-tagged", the other I cannot consider reliable as I have lost the ability to maintain it due to health problems & I am considering the option of "B-tagging" it as well. They are both due by end of month.
The question is: it is possible that neither vehicle may ever be run again & there is a strong possibility that one or both of us may be deceased before they are ever sold, traded or junked...simply to say, never used again.
Is it worth maintaining registration on them? Will there be any IMMEDIATE negative consequences if we simply stop paying for useless vehicles? Or is it more like CA (my wife's home state) where nothing is due until we decide to use them again or transfer the ownership?
When you sit your vehicle up for a year not driving it but paying some small fee like
$25.00......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City