Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2022, 10:15 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Scenery and weather are not the only factors in determining where to live. There is the political climate, access to water (fresh and salt), big employers and kinds of jobs available, other family location, quality of schools, entertainment and more.
The most affordable homes are in the least desirable areas, the most expensive homes are in the most desirable areas. That's just the demand part of "supply and demand". Many people can be very happy in a place like Oklahoma City, but unless others are anxious to move there, prices will remain low. For those reaching adulthood there, be grateful that you will be able to buy a house.
Oklahoma City growth has always been driven by oil field job availability as is almost all of the plains area outside of maybe DFW (and that has been a more recent development).

In decades past that was enough. Not so much anymore. The city once made a big push to get a United Airlines center and shortly thereafter a Micron manufacturing spot. In both cases the companies said that OKC didn't have the lifestyle amenities that they wanted despite the fact that OKC scored high in some of their areas.

Probably the best thing that ever happened to OKC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2022, 10:47 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,280,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I've had a safe room for tornadoes to go to for the past 18 years. I've yet to spend any time in there over a tornado. I'm not that scared of tornadoes. But I guarantee you I'm going to get real scared and panicky and head straight for that room if there is a tornado warning out and suddenly the electricity goes out. Hopefully, quite soon later I won't hear the roar of any tornado going by.

In the previous home I lived in there was no shelter. One evening while I was worried from monitoring the TV weather reports with a tornado warning in effect, all of a sudden the electricity went out. I thought to myself, "Oh, no, this must be it." So I grabbed the mattress off my bed, dragged it into the hallway and got under it. About 30 seconds later, I heard the awful loud roar of the tornado go by. Shortly after the roar subsided, I went outside to look and was relieved the house had little damage, but a 50 ft. cottonwood tree in the backyard was uprooted. Fortunately, it didn't fall on any houses. Power was out but was restored late the next afternoon. The direct path of the tornado missed me, but a big bunch of houses starting a couple of blocks north of me got severe damage. A couple of schools had roof damage.

Yeah, sometimes it can be 90 degrees at 10pm.
This is an interesting article about tornado alley...

https://www.accuweather.com/en/sever...g-east/1162839
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City