Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 08:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,165 times

Advertisements

Kolton Felix is from Enid, Oklahoma. Thus, Kansas is far superior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 12:23 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,575,030 times
Default Kansas City Missouri Is A Tier Above Oklahoma City Oklahoma

You won't be able to compare the two cities until 2030 or 2040 , just look at the difference in GMP .
Gross Metropolitan Product.

Kansas City Missouri and Saint Louis Missouri may even one day be a top twenty American Urban Area.

http://usmayors.org/metroeconomies/0616/report.pdf

Old 10-27-2016, 12:34 PM

Default Kansas City Missouri/Kansas Is A Tier Above Oklahoma City Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
You won't be able to compare the two cities until 2030 or 2040 , just look at the difference in GMP .
Gross Metropolitan Product.

Kansas City Missouri and Saint Louis Missouri may even one day be a top twenty American Urban Area.

http://usmayors.org/metroeconomies/0616/report.pdf

Oklahoma City Oklahoma List Of Peer Cities

39. Virginia Beach/Norfolk VA ...HRVA/Tidewater
40. Hartford CT...Greater New York City N.Y.
41. New Orleans LA
42. Salt lake City Utah
43. Providences R.I.
44. Raleigh N.C.
45. Richmond VA
46. >Oklahoma City Oklahoma<
47. Memphis TN
48. Louisville KY
49. Jacksonville FL
50. Birmingham AL
51. Honolulu HI
52. Omaha NE
53. Buffalo N.Y.
54. >Tulsa Oklahoma<
55. Rochester N.Y.
56. Grand rapids MI
57.Baton Rouge LA
58. Albany N.Y.
59. Oxnard/Thousand Oaks/Ventura California

Old 08-02-2021, 10:32 PM

15 posts, read 8,720 times
I have been to both. Overall, I prefer Kansas City for its skyline, cultural amenities and prettier terrain. It feels like a much more urban place than OKC. That said, I think OKC is an up and coming city in the next century and will have a much bigger presence on the national scene than it does now.

I think Kansas City as of now is a more liberal, progressive place which better suits me.

Old 08-10-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsurumido View Post
I have been to both. Overall, I prefer Kansas City for its skyline, cultural amenities and prettier terrain. It feels like a much more urban place than OKC. That said, I think OKC is an up and coming city in the next century and will have a much bigger presence on the national scene than it does now.

I think Kansas City as of now is a more liberal, progressive place which better suits me.
Using my smart TV slow hard key strokes....for me , it been a long time since I been to
KCMO so I will with hold comment until I visit again......

Old 08-11-2021, 10:51 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,805,986 times
Kansas City was a major city during a time when Oklahoma was still the frontier. One of my favorite things about KC is the history and architecture there. It's really a hidden gem. I'd say in the early 20th century, KC was a lot more prominent than it is today.

Old 08-11-2021, 12:09 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,624,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Kansas City was a major city during a time when Oklahoma was still the frontier. One of my favorite things about KC is the history and architecture there. It's really a hidden gem. I'd say in the early 20th century, KC was a lot more prominent than it is today.
For history, Kansas City starts back in 1850. I see from population statistics that the Great Depression slowed growth in Kansas City to a standstill and even had a couple of down decades since then. It was growing pretty good before the Great Depression. Today, Kansas City is still quite far from doubling in population since the Great Depression. And is fortunate to not have had steady population losses unlike its once bigger cross state neighbor St. Louis. In contrast to that, Oklahoma City was less affected by the Great Depression and went on to more than triple in size.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 08-11-2021 at 12:25 PM..

Old 03-29-2022, 01:18 AM

577 posts, read 561,149 times
I drove around Oklahoma City recently and I was amazed at how good it looks. The city leaders have wisely invested in creating/supporting a panoply of charming business and restaurant districts around the city, each with its own personality.

The downtown area is clean and filled with hotels and people. Many attractive, new apartment buildings have been built near downtown and the area feels safe. There are numerous historic neighborhoods, plus Nichols Hills which feels a bit like Beverly Hills, and ultra-clean Edmond, where the city transitions to rolling hills and woodlands.

I'm not so sure that Kansas City is the clear victor in this comparison anymore. Oklahoma City arguably has a better location being just up the road from Dallas and with warmer winters. And Oklahoma City is perhaps a more manageable, more civilized size in terms of not spreading out quite so far. Both OKC and KC have state universities nearby but Norman is closer than Lawrence.

While Kansas City is beautiful especially Ward Parkway and Mission Hills, I think OKC is better in terms of the proximity of historic neighborhoods to downtown. I also like Oklahoma City's sense of pride as the oil-rich capital city of Oklahoma rising from the plains.

Old 03-29-2022, 04:16 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
I drove around Oklahoma City recently and I was amazed at how good it looks. The city leaders have wisely invested in creating/supporting a panoply of charming business and restaurant districts around the city, each with its own personality.

The downtown area is clean and filled with hotels and people. Many attractive, new apartment buildings have been built near downtown and the area feels safe. There are numerous historic neighborhoods, plus Nichols Hills which feels a bit like Beverly Hills, and ultra-clean Edmond, where the city transitions to rolling hills and woodlands.

I'm not so sure that Kansas City is the clear victor in this comparison anymore. Oklahoma City arguably has a better location being just up the road from Dallas and with warmer winters. And Oklahoma City is perhaps a more manageable, more civilized size in terms of not spreading out quite so far. Both OKC and KC have state universities nearby but Norman is closer than Lawrence.

While Kansas City is beautiful especially Ward Parkway and Mission Hills, I think OKC is better in terms of the proximity of historic neighborhoods to downtown. I also like Oklahoma City's sense of pride as the oil-rich capital city of Oklahoma rising from the plains.
This may be the first time in history that Nichols Hills ever got compared to Beverly Hills but I certainly appreciate the kind words about OKC. We don't get very many.

It is interesting that in the mid 1980s Nichols Hills was the ninth richest 'city' in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City