Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2023, 12:49 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoconoCountryLady View Post
You have an attitude from New York- Please stay there.
Too late, lady. I’ve been here for more than a decade. And “New York attitude” because I don’t tolerate racist verbiage and insinuations.

Last edited by charmed hour; 09-18-2023 at 12:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2023, 03:52 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_bhoy View Post
Looking to re-locate and retire - spouse and I both 62+- looking for a bit more space than the south shore of Nassau County NY where we now live and are drowning in property taxes.
The info on the forums seems a little out of date - I had been looking at Stroudsburg and saw they had high property taxes in 2017 - how do they compare to NY and does PA have anything similar to the NY STAR program which reduces seniors’ property/school taxes.
I already know PA has more favourable taxation of private pensions and IRA distributions than NY.
One thing which would be very important to us is the walkability of any town as driving and car ownership is becoming more of a chore as we get older.
Not keen on 55+ communities as the thought of being in permanent proximity to “someone who does their own research” - doesn’t matter which side - horrifies me.
Small town NY. Love the Poconos but there aren't walkable towns. Sometimes paying a little more in taxes is worth it.

Old 10-01-2023, 05:43 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,447,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Small town NY. Love the Poconos but there aren't walkable towns. Sometimes paying a little more in taxes is worth it.
I disagree. Jim Thorpe, Stroudsburg, and Scranton are three Pocono region walkable towns/cities that immediately come to mind.

OP-- not sure about the property tax question, but I'd be willing to bet the taxes in Pennsylvania are favorable for the retired regardless, for the reason you mentioned (no taxation on retirement income).

Old 10-01-2023, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
I disagree. Jim Thorpe, Stroudsburg, and Scranton are three Pocono region walkable towns/cities that immediately come to mind.

OP-- not sure about the property tax question, but I'd be willing to bet the taxes in Pennsylvania are favorable for the retired regardless, for the reason you mentioned (no taxation on retirement income).
Downtown JT is walkable but the rest of the town is really steep hills.

One thing to remember as well, there are no real breaks with property & school taxes. There homestead exclusion that will lower it a few hundred and then a yearly rebate with a max of $900. You need to apply for both yearly and are a bunch of paperwork. I did my late MIL’s rebate every year and you have to get it in as soon as it opens as it does run out of funds.

Old 10-01-2023, 01:17 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,447,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Downtown JT is walkable but the rest of the town is really steep hills.

One thing to remember as well, there are no real breaks with property & school taxes. There homestead exclusion that will lower it a few hundred and then a yearly rebate with a max of $900. You need to apply for both yearly and are a bunch of paperwork. I did my late MIL’s rebate every year and you have to get it in as soon as it opens as it does run out of funds.
Who says steep hills and walkable are mutually exclusive? It's walkable, AND great for the glutes. But seriously, even if you are less mobile and hills aren't your thing, both sides of town have a decent amount of area that is flat-ish for casual walking.

Old 10-03-2023, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Who says steep hills and walkable are mutually exclusive? It's walkable, AND great for the glutes. But seriously, even if you are less mobile and hills aren't your thing, both sides of town have a decent amount of area that is flat-ish for casual walking.
Having lived for 10 years right outside of JT- outside of downtown, there's not much walk around stuff to see on either side of the river, IMO.

I used to take my late MIL to Mass at Immaculate Conception and wait in the car. Well, one day I had the idea of "it's beautiful out, let me walk down Broadway to the coffee spot." Well, my late 30s knees (at the time) were less than impressed with me on the hike back up to the Church. :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania