Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 07:54 AM

444 posts, read 413,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.w. View Post
Respectfully disagree. The cities in the northeast have been booming over the last decade, I believe. Agree 100% with the latter point though, people are fleeing the cities right now like rats from a sinking ship. Can you blame them (us)?

I live in South Philly and am considering a second home/vacation home in the Poconos because I don't have a yard. I do think that there are quite a few city folk who are reconsidering whether they want more green space and considering second homes/vacation homes now. I know some, including myself!

But the whole "rats fleeing a sinking ship" thing is just malarkey. Philadephia just approved thousands of new residential units in highrises and apartment buildings. Developers look long term and they clearly think that people are still going to want to live in cities. There are literally dozens of million dollar houses that are already pre-sold going up in my neighborhood. Houses are flying off the shelves in most places right now because of pent up demand from the pandemic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 12:05 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge12 View Post
There are literally dozens of million dollar houses that are already pre-sold going up in my neighborhood. Houses are flying off the shelves in most places right now because of pent up demand from the pandemic.

Yeah right....must be those who are considered "FIRE" who are very few because most of the population NATIONWIDE are either broke, in foreclosure, or in the process of being evicted....

Old 08-11-2020, 12:28 PM

48 posts, read 58,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge12 View Post

I live in South Philly and am considering a second home/vacation home in the Poconos because I don't have a yard. I do think that there are quite a few city folk who are reconsidering whether they want more green space and considering second homes/vacation homes now. I know some, including myself!

But the whole "rats fleeing a sinking ship" thing is just malarkey. Philadephia just approved thousands of new residential units in highrises and apartment buildings. Developers look long term and they clearly think that people are still going to want to live in cities. There are literally dozens of million dollar houses that are already pre-sold going up in my neighborhood. Houses are flying off the shelves in most places right now because of pent up demand from the pandemic.
I guess it depends on your perspective. As a prospective buyer in the Poconos, it's certainly felt that way. With limited inventory (by city standards, at least), houses have been going in a matter of days. So while that may be a drop in the bucket compared to the 1.6M people in Philadelphia or the 8.4M across the five boroughs of New York City, it's certainly caused the real estate market in the Poconos to accelerate rapidly.

That being said, my better half owns her place in Southwest Center City PHL, so maybe we'll pass each other on the Schuykill! Hopefully you won't be the ones driving 60 mph in the left-hand lane

Old 08-11-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Have you had any promising leads? And are you getting a better 'feel' for our area?
We did! We came to an agreement on a place in Emerald Lakes, a three-minute walk from one of the last - closing set for early September. Very much looking forward to it!

Old 08-11-2020, 04:59 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
We did! We came to an agreement on a place in Emerald Lakes, a three-minute walk from one of the last - closing set for early September. Very much looking forward to it!
Congratulations! As the crow flies that is only about five miles from where I live. You will be about six hundred feet higher in elevation than where I live; so it will be a little colder. You might want to consider a backup whole house generator as long as you are making the investment. We continue to have more power outages and we have many dead Ash trees from the emerald Ash borer. But it is not an necessity; just a possible consideration.

Pay attention to to the race schedule at Pocono Raceway. Heading west on Long Pond Road during a race event could be difficult; but they do not have that many races each year. Become familar with the back roads and you should have plenty of options to avoid problems.

Good luck to you and if you want to know anything about the area simply ask!

Old 08-12-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
LAKES. Grrr. Wish this had an edit function. Three-minute walk from one of the LAKES. That probably makes a little more sense now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Congratulations! As the crow flies that is only about five miles from where I live. You will be about six hundred feet higher in elevation than where I live; so it will be a little colder. You might want to consider a backup whole house generator as long as you are making the investment. We continue to have more power outages and we have many dead Ash trees from the emerald Ash borer. But it is not an necessity; just a possible consideration.

Pay attention to to the race schedule at Pocono Raceway. Heading west on Long Pond Road during a race event could be difficult; but they do not have that many races each year. Become familar with the back roads and you should have plenty of options to avoid problems.

Good luck to you and if you want to know anything about the area simply ask!
Honestly, I prefer the cold to the heat. No matter how cold you get, you can always put on more clothes. If you get too hot, you can only take off so many clothes until...well, according to the HOA rules I read last night, you get a $500 fine.

But I appreciate the advice! We've been doing some research and found the same thing out about the Pocono Raceway. We're slaves to the GPS unfortunately - hopefully Waze will save us from that chaos when the time comes.

Old 08-13-2020, 12:07 AM

Quote:
LAKES. Grrr. Wish this had an edit function. Three-minute walk from one of the LAKES. That probably makes a little more sense now.
We do have a edit function. But it might not be available to new members? I forget, it has been too many years. Even now our edit function is only available for short periods of time, but it is available. Many times I post and then I proof read, not that I am that great at it. But I do find mistakes and correct them (probably with more mistakes)

Quote:
Honestly, I prefer the cold to the heat. No matter how cold you get, you can always put on more clothes. If you get too hot, you can only take off so many clothes until...well, according to the HOA rules I read last night, you get a $500 fine.

But I appreciate the advice! We've been doing some research and found the same thing out about the Pocono Raceway. We're slaves to the GPS unfortunately - hopefully Waze will save us from that chaos when the time comes.
While you can put on more clothes we worry about our pipes freezing and food spoiling. Plus it is nice to be able to take a hot shower and flush toilets and that is where the backup generators come in handy. I only have a small one, but it is good enough to run the furnace and hot water. Plus I have a septic system and not a sand mound that needs power to pump. So there are advantages to the generators, I am sorry your development does not allow them. I did help a coworker split wood for his back up wood burner there many years ago. You could check to see if they allow pellet or wood stoves for back up heat to keep the pipes from freezing if the power goes out?

Route 940 is not that far away from the development and you can buy most of what you need heading east on 940 towards Route 611. You have a Lowes up there. Auto stores. Walmart. And currently three supermarkets - Aldi's, Weiss Markets and ShopRite competing with the Walmart. There are two drug stores, Rite Aid and CVS plus Geisinger, ShopeRite, Weiss, and Walmart have drug stores. For a general practitioner in the area I use Geisinger just behind the Walmart store. I highly recommend Dr. Bolock and her two physician assistants they are really great! I also recommend 'Speed Zone' for auto repair and that is not far from you.

There is a Home Depot and Target not too many miles away. There is also the Crossings mall in Tannersville and Stroudsburg has another mall with a Penney's (as long as they stay in business).

Just ask if you want any more information. Maybe one of us can help you and good luck!

Old 08-13-2020, 06:56 AM

599 posts, read 498,093 times
Relying on GPS and Waze will result in a really diminished living experience in a place like the Poconos. It's possible to spend years on the plateau, while obediently following GPS to every destination, and not realize that there is a whole world out there that you are driving right past. Gravel roads, forest roads, back roads that only locals ever travel on. Hidden springs, waterfalls, trails, small parks, lakes. ponds, walking trails, towns that few bother to visit, all kinds of interesting stuff.

The cure, you ask?

Buy yourself a copy of a Delorme Atlas & Gazetteer Pennsylvania edition. This is a large, soft cover printed collection of 80+ extraordinarily detailed topographical maps covering every single inch of the state. I have had countless conversations with folks that move in to the area and have no idea what is actually in their neighborhood, or the multiple ways to get from "here to there" because they are used to taking the way their digital brain tells them to. Lots of out of the way places near you that are beautiful, easy to get to, and virtually empty, since their very existence is outside of the realm of the screen obsessed culture that we have become.

Old 08-13-2020, 07:22 AM

Some of the roads getting to those out of the way places can be a little challenging. Brady's Lake is not very far from where you will be located: https://pennsylvania.hometownlocator...dys%20lake.cfm. You can check it out; it is a 223 acre lake and they used to allow electric motor small boats. I haven't been there for some time, but my son likes to walk the trails and pick blueberries. It has about a three mile road into the lake and it is pretty rough; take your time and watch where you drive.

The Hypsi Gap road is another road that cuts through State Game Lands and is a road one really wants to take slow - it's full of potholes. There was a young hunter that was shot and killed there years ago so it has a soiled reputation. They never found the killer/s.

Many people will drive up to the top of Big Pocono on Camelback Road. You can get a bird's eye view of the area and there are trails to walk. That includes a trail to Deep Lake that is four and a half miles long. Keep your eyes open for rattlesnakes when hiking in that area.

Of course many also spend time on the Delaware River and there are several places on both the PA side and Jersey side where one can launch a boat. You would have to check current restrictions and regulations.

Old 04-04-2022, 07:35 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
Giving this a bump . Now that it's almost two years later, has anything changed in this area, for better or worse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania