Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2023, 07:52 PM

872 posts, read 1,015,449 times

Advertisements

The U.S. Census has released its national and state population estimates as of July 1, 2023. A few items of note regarding North Carolina:
  • North Carolina's population grew by 139,526 over 2022 (was estimated at 10,695,965 last year vs. 10,835,491 now).
  • That puts the state at number 3 for numeric growth year-to-year among all states (behind Texas and Florida) and at number 5 for percent growth at 1.3% (behind South Carolina, Florida, Texas and Idaho).
  • The state still ranks ninth overall in population behind Georgia, but the gap between the two states is shrinking. Georgia stands at 11,029,227 for an advantage of just 193,736 over North Carolina.

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres...mic-norms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2023, 07:03 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
The U.S. Census has released its national and state population estimates as of July 1, 2023. A few items of note regarding North Carolina:
  • North Carolina's population grew by 139,526 over 2022 (was estimated at 10,695,965 last year vs. 10,835,491 now).
  • That puts the state at number 3 for numeric growth year-to-year among all states (behind Texas and Florida) and at number 5 for percent growth at 1.3% (behind South Carolina, Florida, Texas and Idaho).
  • The state still ranks ninth overall in population behind Georgia, but the gap between the two states is shrinking. Georgia stands at 11,029,227 for an advantage of just 193,736 over North Carolina.
https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres...mic-norms.html
"That puts the state at number 3 for numeric growth year-to-year among all states"

N.C. and S.C. has been in the top tier for growth for YEARS.
  1. Searches related to states gaining and loosing seats inthe u.S House over the past 10 yeaes
    1. states with losing congressional seats​
    2. how many states lost congressional seats​
    3. states that won't win congressional seats​
    4. states that lost congressional seats 2020​
    1. new york states losing congressional seats​
    2. states with most seats​
    3. states that will win congressional seats​
    4. how many states win congressional seats​

Last edited by Quick Enough; 12-22-2023 at 07:14 AM..

Old 12-22-2023, 08:28 AM

851 posts, read 416,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
I've pointed this out before, but the more favorable demographics seem to pick the Triangle over Charlotte, or anywhere else in the state for that matter. This may not seem like a big deal to some, but it absolutely is when you look at metrics like per capita income, higher education rates, etc.
Favorable of course being a subjective term. Before I was certain of the miraculous and uplifting effects in store for their new home, I'd check around to see how they left the old one. Sometimes in life we must be cautious regarding that for which we wish.

Last edited by TunedIn; 12-22-2023 at 09:47 AM..

Old 12-22-2023, 09:29 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,690,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
What a lot of Charlotte folks won't want to hear is that the flow in migration in their metro from the NC side to the SC side is responsible for quite a large portion of the latter state's higher percentile growth and in-migration rate. While the Triangle's in-migration from other states makes up for it to give NC a still impressive rate and numerical growth.

(Yes..I know the counties on the NC side of the Charlotte metro are all still growing in population at a healthy rate....both things can be true. Don't @ me)
I don't think any of us in Charlotte are surprised by people moving to York or Lancaster County or offended. It is one metro area and much of the available land on the desirable southern side of the metro is on the South Carolina side of the border. Most of the new housing developments for people that want a new build home at a relatively affordable price per square foot (plus lower property taxes and good public school ratings) are in York or Lancaster. Getting a new build SFH in South Meck is usually $1 million+ so young families that want newer homes are attracted to areas like Fort Mill and Indian Land and there isn't anything wrong with that... no different than people in Wake that might move to Johnston County. Many of us work with people that live on the SC side and have friends, et. on both sides of the border, et... just the reality of a dual state metro area where the South Carolina border is closer to Uptown Charlotte than downtown Raleigh is to RDU airport.

The main issue comes on the incentive front. South Carolina will offer large incentives for a corporation to jump the border, get a big tax break, and effectively offer no net new jobs to the broader metro area even though the jobs are technically "new" to South Carolina income tax. Companies can play the two state governments off each other, while effectively still having access to the same labor market, airport, and metro. LPL Financial, Lash Group, RedVentures, et. are some of the companies that have done this.

Last edited by CLT4; 12-22-2023 at 10:05 AM..

Old 12-22-2023, 10:18 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,162,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
Favorable of course being a subjective term. Before I was certain of the miraculous and uplifting effects in store for their new home, I'd check around to see how they left the old one. Sometimes in life we must be cautious regarding that for which we wish.
Favorable is definitely subjective, of course, but I think that the majority of people would agree on what that means in this context. Higher incomes, better than average net worth, working class, white collar, advanced degrees, crime averse, law abiding, etc. are all characteristics of what i'd consider a "favorable demographic." Has nothing to do with race, sexual orientation, nor age.

Every city would prefer to add, on average, more people that positively contribute to the community rather than take away from it. That is a no brainer.

Old 12-22-2023, 10:30 AM

851 posts, read 416,141 times
Quote:
Favorable is definitely subjective, of course, but I think that the majority of people would agree on what that means in this context. Higher incomes, better than average net worth, working class, white collar, advanced degrees, crime averse, law abiding, etc. are all characteristics of what i'd consider a "favorable demographic." Has nothing to do with race, sexual orientation, nor age.

Every city would prefer to add, on average, more people that positively contribute to the community rather than take away from it. That is a no brainer.
Your last paragraph leaves us in agreement.

Old 12-23-2023, 06:55 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
What a lot of Charlotte folks won't want to hear is that the flow in migration in their metro from the NC side to the SC side is responsible for quite a large portion of the latter state's higher percentile growth and in-migration rate. While the Triangle's in-migration from other states makes up for it to give NC a still impressive rate and numerical growth.

(Yes..I know the counties on the NC side of the Charlotte metro are all still growing in population at a healthy rate....both things can be true. Don't @ me)
"What a lot of Charlotte folks won't want to hear"

And how many have you actually asked about this?

We get this a lot on here.

Just because YOU think a certain way, does NOT automatically proof all others agree with you.

" Don't @ me"

Can't you speak English?

I don't do social media, so I haven't a clue what this is.

Old 12-23-2023, 07:52 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
Charlotte's skyline is so big that it will eventually become as big of a city as it looks like (~5 million people).

People remember its skyline when visiting and millions fly through CLT seeing a big-looking city from the air.

Charlotte news recently reported 130 people move to the region every day.

They compared that to 70 moving to Raleigh each day, which, of course, doesn't include the Durham/Chapel Hill MSA. And since upon landing at RDU you see Durham's skyline out the left of the plane, and Raleigh's out the right side, they should always be combined thus both regions (Charlotte and the Triangle) are growing commensurately.

SC is growing and I've never been to Charleston believe it or not, but the upstate is very different from NC in my opinion. It's a booming industrial corridor and Greenville gets admired for it riverfront, but I cannot stand how all the major thoroughfares off I-85 are designed. Traffic lights make you wait for 4-5 minutes, you cannot traverse parking lots of adjacent shopping centers, the roads and parking lots are designed so differently from GA or NC that it's maddening.

I'm glad they raised the gas tax in SC and the widening of I-85 is great. But overall. the infrastructure of the rural and urban parts of SC is nowhere in the same league as NC.

On country roads in Anderson County, you have no shoulders, steep inclines, curves, and the grading of all the roads seems much more dangerous or poorly thought out.

GA and NC's populations have remained within 200,000-300,000 for over 20 years.

As for NC, lets just say Charlotte is the Los Angeles and the Triangle is the Bay Area (with Apple now starting construction.)

Old 12-23-2023, 09:00 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,162,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Charlotte's skyline is so big that it will eventually become as big of a city as it looks like (~5 million people).

People remember its skyline when visiting and millions fly through CLT seeing a big-looking city from the air.

Charlotte news recently reported 130 people move to the region every day.

They compared that to 70 moving to Raleigh each day, which, of course, doesn't include the Durham/Chapel Hill MSA. And since upon landing at RDU you see Durham's skyline out the left of the plane, and Raleigh's out the right side, they should always be combined thus both regions (Charlotte and the Triangle) are growing commensurately.

SC is growing and I've never been to Charleston believe it or not, but the upstate is very different from NC in my opinion. It's a booming industrial corridor and Greenville gets admired for it riverfront, but I cannot stand how all the major thoroughfares off I-85 are designed. Traffic lights make you wait for 4-5 minutes, you cannot traverse parking lots of adjacent shopping centers, the roads and parking lots are designed so differently from GA or NC that it's maddening.

I'm glad they raised the gas tax in SC and the widening of I-85 is great. But overall. the infrastructure of the rural and urban parts of SC is nowhere in the same league as NC.

On country roads in Anderson County, you have no shoulders, steep inclines, curves, and the grading of all the roads seems much more dangerous or poorly thought out.

GA and NC's populations have remained within 200,000-300,000 for over 20 years.

As for NC, lets just say Charlotte is the Los Angeles and the Triangle is the Bay Area (with Apple now starting construction.)
Your statements in this post are incongruous. Look it up if you know understand what that means.

BTW, the Charlotte metro is not even close to 5M. You're really stretching with this post, but nevertheless I hope it makes you feel better, in some weird way.

Old 12-23-2023, 10:11 PM

676 posts, read 492,259 times
Quote:
Your statements in this post are incongruous. Look it up if you know understand what that means.

BTW, the Charlotte metro is not even close to 5M. You're really stretching with this post, but nevertheless I hope it makes you feel better, in some weird way.

He didn't say Charlotte was a place of 5 million, I'm sure he is implying that CLT's skyline would make a first time visitor think that Charlotte's area has a population in the 5 million neighborhood. (Detroit, Minneapolis, Phoenix, Boston, San Fran) Or that CLT's skyline is on par with metros larger metro than its current 2.5 million
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina